Forum > General discussion > Fighting Depression (One Nation Under Corona)
Pages: 1
"Fighting Depression (One Nation Under Corona)", 11 days ago, 7:52 PM #1
Honestly, I'm just ranting because of a panic attack due to everything that has been happening in the U.S.A. A deepening depression has slowly crept it's way in...I changed my hair color twice, first to a violent pink, and then a dark blue. My emotions keep rip-sawing from one side to the other. I'm afraid to go outside, I'm afraid to talk. I just want to disappear.

Does anyone have any knowledge about fighting these feelings without prescriptions (never liked pills, never will) just enough to function like a normal human being?

10 days ago, 3:05 AM #2
Get fresh air and sunlight each day. Your brain needs full spectrum light for a few minutes. They have full light panels to treat depression in wintertime.

Get some exercise so your blood circulates better.

Get enough sleep at night. Exercise should help you sleep but you might need to go to bed earlier and stop using devices after it gets dark because it interrupts your natural melatonin cycle. (I keep my phone brightness turned all the way down and there's a number of apps that can turn blue to amber at night to help you sleep).

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

Try new things to stimulate the brain.

Every time a negative thought crosses your mind you gotta consciously counter it with something more positive.

https://www.webmd.com/depression/features/natural-treatments
10 days ago, 5:46 AM #3
I've had depression and had to stop taking the medication for it after a while because it was fucking up my digestion.

What helped me work through it was emphasizing what I enjoyed in my life but not completely avoiding what made me depressed and anxious. For example, I had (and still do to a lesser extent) bad social anxiety, but I loved (and definitely still do) watching/playing basketball, so what I did was for every time I went out to do something social I rewarded myself with 2 or 3 games on TV or trips to the rec center.

It's important - at least IMO - not to completely avoid your stressors, because those things are a part of life, and if you ever want to get to a place where you're doing fine without pills, then you have to learn how to tolerate those stressors.

Every person and every situation is different so what I recommended here may not work, but be open to working and trying a bunch of different things until you find what works for you. Like anything involving people's behavior, there's no quick fix
10 days ago, 7:33 AM #4
I don't have a lot of advice that hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think it might help to make some kind of schedule for yourself, and keep to it, while also taking care of your hygiene. It's tempting to let things fall to the wayside, since we aren't out around people much these days. But taking a bath or shower and pampering yourself will help you be clean and maybe help you mood.

Maybe have some calm time each day, and just listen to something soothing and breath deep for a little bit? I dunno, I find trying to calm down and reflect can help...a little. And if things start getting overwhelming with the news, take a day or two and just stay away from it. Just kinda detach for a little while so you can recuperate yourself. But like DT_Colaptes says, I don't think one should completely retract from news and stressors everyday: it's good to be aware of what's going on. I'm just saying being hyper aware and checking the news every hour or so can be overwhelming, so it's good to take a break and just take time away things that cause stress now and then.

That's my advice. This works for my partner on and off, so it may benefit you. Maybe. Everyone is different.

And watching videos of puppies and kitties helps me (I don't have depression, but I do have ups and downs. It's nice to just overdose on cute from time to time).
10 days ago, 2:09 PM #5
smartest motherfucker around
I posted a thread a while ago with some resources.

In particular you might want to look at these resources on:
- Worry and Rumination self help
- Panic disorder
- Anxiety

I'd start with the worry and rumination resources if you're interested. There's a lot of information there, some of it you may or may not jell with. I think the thing to do is read through the resources and see which info feels best for you.

There's a lot of suggestions that can be made but what's important is finding things you feel you can implement when you're feeling like this. Do you think you're at the point where you need to call a helpline?
10 days ago, 5:14 PM #6
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I appreciate you guys taking the time to say what you feel, and I am grateful for that.

Since I really don't know what will work I'm going to try all of these tips. It's better than what I have been doing :)

10 days ago, 7:35 PM #7
loved birds way before they were the word
I dunno if this might help, but people have been a lot less likely to go outside since COVID started, which can cause low vitamin D. Your body makes it from sunlight and staying in can keep you from getting enough of it. Low vitamin D can trigger depression, sluggishness, and other problems. Going on walks in quiet areas can help you make more vitamin D and boost your overall health. If you like fatty fish such as swordfish or salmon, it has high levels of vitamin D in it too.

disclaimer: I am not a doctor

Here is a BBC article about quarantine being linked to low vitamin D