Pages: 1 2 3
"Voting", 31st Aug 2020, 4:58 PM #1
Venture Capitalist
No, not "Popular Now" ya silly gator, I'm talking about that other fountain of teeth gnashing and hair pulling.

This state-by-state guide is what prompted me to start this thread, it gives a rundown of how hard it is and what mechanism you'll have to use to vote in the upcoming general election in the United States. Note the large number of "register by 5 October" deadlines. Enjoy!

Hella late edit: I’m going to encourage all (myself included) to minimize partisan cheerleading in this thread encouraging civic and civil participation
31st Aug 2020, 5:04 PM #2
persevered past being called "boulderousness"
Thanks for this. I thought I missed my state deadline. Naturally, my state is difficult =p
31st Aug 2020, 5:27 PM #3
This is a great resource! I'd also like to contribute some other resources mainly for researching candidates. While it's pretty easy to get information on the national candidates, state and local candidates can be harder to pool information.

Vote411 can help you register to vote, check your registration status (very vital to check even if you have voted recently), and potentially get you a sample ballot ahead of election day so you can research everyone ahead of time. And when it gets closer to the actual date, candidates can submit statements and information to the website for you to read over. Ballotpedia is another great resource to search for candidates too, especially if one of the candidates running is an incumbent. It'll give you extensive information on voting patterns, past statements, etc. Admittedly, the more local the position the less likely these sites are to have information on them, but it's a good place to start.

Vote.org is another good resource for registering to vote, checking your registration, locating poll places, requesting an absentee ballot, and more. It covers some of the same ground as Vote411 but it has some additional features that Vote411 doesn't so I recommend looking over both where possible.
1st Sep 2020, 4:10 AM #4
Venture Capitalist
noblejanobii:Vote411

Yup, League of Women Voters has consistently helped me figure out the positions of everyone from US Senator to county coroner for years and years. Thanks for the links!
1st Sep 2020, 8:37 AM #5
Taking Names & Spitting Images
attn: young Americans

There is an extreme shortage of poll workers due to the pandemic. Trump's buddy, Louis DeJoy, is sabotaging USPS right before the election as more states turn to mail-in voting as a safer alternative to showing up in person.

The majority of poll workers who served in previous election years are older people. They are more at-risk and many of them won't be returning.

If you're young and healthy, and want to help... consider signing up to Power the Polls. And sharing amongst your various social networks.
1st Sep 2020, 9:40 AM #6
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
We need trump to weigh in on this. Where is the tyrant president these days?

Donald J Trump, if you get voted in will you build a wall to keep out refujeeves? Will you round up poke'mon and send them to camps?
1st Sep 2020, 11:20 AM #7
Eh, I've got a lot of respect for people who are going out there to exercise their rights, but I'm sitting this election out. Neither of these candidates are good for the country, hell Joe Bidens entire campaign is that he isn't Trump, despite having practically the same positions on everything. Not to mention the massive hypocrisy and his openness of spreading misinformation to spite Trump no matter how much it divides the country.

I have not a shred of respect for either of these men, and I wonder be wasting my time. But good luck to you guys. Regardless who wins, let's just hope we can continue just being able to live our simple lives and no longer have to stay invested in this shit.

Merged Doublepost:

callmerocket:attn: young Americans

There is an extreme shortage of poll workers due to the pandemic. Trump's buddy, Louis DeJoy, is sabotaging USPS right before the election as more states turn to mail-in voting as a safer alternative to showing up in person.

The majority of poll workers who served in previous election years are older people. They are more at-risk and many of them won't be returning.

If you're young and healthy, and want to help... consider signing up to Power the Polls. And sharing amongst your various social networks.

Corrupt Trump vs corrupt Biden. This is going to be a depressing election.
1st Sep 2020, 11:49 AM #8
Venture Capitalist
“The roof has a hole in it. We need to get it repaired.”

“Why bother? It’s too hard. It’s too expensive. They always do it wrong.”

Cynicism doesn’t avoid a damn thing other than the sweat of exercising effort, accountability, and courage.

Edit: I’m going to encourage all (myself included) to minimize partisan cheerleading in this thread encouraging civic and civil participation
1st Sep 2020, 12:41 PM #9
will die on Dec 14th 2021, 3:25 PM
lirvilas:

Cynicism doesn’t avoid a damn thing other than the sweat of exercising effort, accountability, and courage.

Pretty much.

Florida has always done mail in voting so I’m not too worried about missing out. I got my ballots for the local election and for once actually sat for two hours and researched the candidates to find who I liked. While tedious I felt pretty good when I mailed my ballot later that day.

It may feel like it’s worthless but it means something. And I mean yeah I don’t really like bootlickers, but I also am sick of a man who once wanted to trade the island my entire family is from for Greenland because Puerto Ricans are “dirty and poor.”

All I can hope for is change. That’s really it.
1st Sep 2020, 12:53 PM #10
lirvilas:“The roof has a hole in it. We need to get it repaired.”

“Why bother? It’s too hard. It’s too expensive. They always do it wrong.”

Edit: I’m going to encourage all (myself included) to minimize partisan cheerleading in this thread encouraging civic and civil participation

With all due respect, I don't agree with that analogy. It's more akin to having a hole in the roof and being forced to choose between two shitty Carpenters that think alike, and hoping the one you went with doesn't fuck the roof up even worse. Frankly, I'd opt to just do it myself.

That's not a real decision.

I appreciate your efforts, but as for me I don't feel represented enough to waste time on either these garbage candidates. Joe is literally just Trump but watered down. If you think that's better, I think that's ok. I'm just tired of choosing between the lesser of two evils.
1st Sep 2020, 1:21 PM #11
not the one who meowed (?)
<political posts on my CF account feels dirty>
1st Sep 2020, 1:26 PM #12
That's a good way to look at it. I have never voted dem or rep because I'm libertarian (voted for Gary Johnson in 2016).

My votes have been being "wasted" for a while now lol. I guess it can't hurt to try again.
1st Sep 2020, 6:45 PM #13
Venture Capitalist
Here's another state-by-state guide on registration and various options for voting.

Remember, it's not just the marquee national races on the ballot, there's going to be everything from water district commissioners to state judges. And unlike the national folks, those state and local officials are the ones who can rapidly improve or deteriorate your life... go dig up the "minor annoyances" thread, I think that's where I whine about getting hit with random, unjustified taxes and how I went to my state rep's office for help.
1st Sep 2020, 7:11 PM #14
I respect the hell out of that and will probably do (not do) something similar. However, won't there be other local and state issues on the ballots aside from the presidential race?

mightguy15:Eh, I've got a lot of respect for people who are going out there to exercise their rights, but I'm sitting this election out. Neither of these candidates are good for the country, hell Joe Bidens entire campaign is that he isn't Trump, despite having practically the same positions on everything. Not to mention the massive hypocrisy and his openness of spreading misinformation to spite Trump no matter how much it divides the country.

I have not a shred of respect for either of these men, and I wonder be wasting my time. But good luck to you guys. Regardless who wins, let's just hope we can continue just being able to live our simple lives and no longer have to stay invested in this shit.

Merged Doublepost:

Corrupt Trump vs corrupt Biden. This is going to be a depressing election.
1st Sep 2020, 7:51 PM #15
Spoilered for intense political Opinions:

1st Sep 2020, 8:56 PM #16
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Wow. I guess even THIS isn't enough to get Americans voting.
1st Sep 2020, 9:07 PM #17
I always always ALWAYS encourage getting out to vote. Like it's been previously mentioned, there's a lot more than just the President on the national election ballot. Depending on your state it could be a Senator, a Government, a member of your City Council, etc. The President is important sure, but worst case you really could just vote for a member of a third party. No matter who you are voting for, it's important to get out and vote in order to make changes at the state and local levels. Often these positions have a lot more impact on you directly than the President does, which is why it's so important to ensure the right person gets into office at these lower levels of government.
1st Sep 2020, 9:28 PM #18
I can explain
Team Stormbow:Spoilered for intense political Opinions:

Spoilered for Intense Political Opinions:
1st Sep 2020, 10:57 PM #19
So, I don't know if these were throwing shade at me, but I've had this "Trump is going to destroy America" tangent thrown my direction so many times I'm beginning to find the argument obnoxious. It truly is the speech of bias news outlets.

I've not the time to interate why Trump is nothing more than the standard, republican asshat. If you need specifics, feel free to ask. Other than that, I will list resources below:

Trumps "horrible" response to the Cornavirus Pandemic:

Trump wants to "suppress" mail in votes:

Of course, I remember having a stance on the state of police brutality on the country, especially dealing with the protest. My conclusion? Not suppression. But if you want to feel that way, that's ok too.

I can literally go on an on with this, and for any interested, send me a PM. I don't want to derail the thread, but I will say the fact that there are people who are trying to push this narrative that Trump will destroy the United States if he is elected for one more term is fucking ridiculous to me. Not just that, but the misinformation surrounding this entire administration is baffling. I don't even like Trump, but truly believing he is some type of dictator because he says stupid shit is the most ridiculous thing you can convince yourself to believe.

Look, if that's the way you guys feel, go nuts. But don't make it seem like I'm just some lazy fencesitter or bootlicker because of my decision. I was serious when I said Bernie or bust, and if you legitmately, LEGITIMATELY think things are going to get "better" under Biden, your sorely mistaken. At best we go back to the status quo that got people like Trump elected in the first place, and at worst you waste your time when you canidate losses. I'm not telling you all this because I don't want you to vote, I'm telling you this because I want to save you from the dissapointment your going to feel once either one of these dipshits hit the chair. THAT is why I say people should stop getting so emotionally invested in politics, it is litterally useless getting pissed off and upset over shit you can't change.

Just have a beer and live your life, and if you vote, try not to get to stuck up over this bullshit.

Merged Doublepost:

Vicious E:I respect the hell out of that and will probably do (not do) something similar. However, won't there be other local and state issues on the ballots aside from the presidential race?

That's true. I'll probably be getting out to vote on those. I'm more confident in smaller scale elections.
1st Sep 2020, 11:46 PM #20
mightguy15:Joe Bidens entire campaign is that he isn't Trump

Um, yeah, in other words, regardless of his politics, he's not a ginormous asshole. Good enough for me, but unfortunately I'm not a US voter.
Storm Over Whoomera (NSFW, nudity) Comic Fury | Renderosity (first page)
Created by Ed Kline, co-writer Lee M. Now sadly defunct, but the archive remains.
Pages: 1 2 3