Forum > General discussion > GIMP scale/rotate broke. I can't work w/o it!
Pages: 1 2
"GIMP scale/rotate broke. I can't work w/o it!", 10th Sep 2020, 1:09 AM #1
I'm running the latest version (2.10.20) but it seems to be running worse than ever. It worked fine (if sluggish) before I upgraded from 2.10.18 even taking into account the huge 600dpi 7016x9921 page size I've moved to.

Now, however, trying to scale or rotate any layers just brings up the progress wheel and it gets a sliver of green before freezing and I'm forced to close the entire thing. Restarting my laptop doesn't help and the GIMP help boards are so convoluted that a layman like me can't productively ask for help (similar issues from other users are from older version + were never resolved.)

I have FireAlpaca and CSP PRO as well, but the GIMP UI is so much more intuitive to me. being able to open separate windows for layers and tool options, ease of turning selections into new layers, making/editing paths, and even setting your brush to erase, darken only, etc. instead of making an entire layer just to do that. I may be able to replicate these GIMP functions in the others, but just poking around like I did in GIMP, I'm unable to find a way to do so.

Anybody have any words of advice?

10th Sep 2020, 4:19 AM #2
rivaling gator
Can you try going back to the previous version that worked? Or possibly your download got corrupted, you might try uninstalling and reinstalling it?
10th Sep 2020, 4:29 AM #3
would that erase my files or something like that?
10th Sep 2020, 5:27 AM #4
Botanist
Dan with a Plan:I'm running the latest version (2.10.20) but it seems to be running worse than ever. It worked fine (if sluggish) before I upgraded from 2.10.18 even taking into account the huge 600dpi 7016x9921 page size I've moved to.

Now, however, trying to scale or rotate any layers just brings up the progress wheel and it gets a sliver of green before freezing and I'm forced to close the entire thing. Restarting my laptop doesn't help and the GIMP help boards are so convoluted that a layman like me can't productively ask for help (similar issues from other users are from older version + were never resolved.)

I have FireAlpaca and CSP PRO as well, but the GIMP UI is so much more intuitive to me. being able to open separate windows for layers and tool options, ease of turning selections into new layers, making/editing paths, and even setting your brush to erase, darken only, etc. instead of making an entire layer just to do that. I may be able to replicate these GIMP functions in the others, but just poking around like I did in GIMP, I'm unable to find a way to do so.

Anybody have any words of advice?

I tried making an image of the size you specified and got the message "an image of the chosen size will use more memory than what is configured as maximum [...] in preferences dialogue"
so perhaps this is something to do with it? if you can host the project file i can take a look and see if it gets stuck on my computer too.
10th Sep 2020, 5:46 AM #5
Host the project file? What's that?
10th Sep 2020, 6:46 AM #6
may have meant "post". so they can mess with the image to see if they can mimic the problem.
10th Sep 2020, 8:49 AM #7
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Shift T, buddy.

Everything seems to get crappier as it updates.
10th Sep 2020, 3:41 PM #8
may have meant "post". so they can mess with the image to see if they can mimic the problem.

I still don't know what this means, and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of sharing files of my manga with people who aren't directly involved with it's regular production.

Shift T, buddy.

That's Unified Transform, right?
10th Sep 2020, 4:23 PM #9
I'm using the same version of GIMP without this issue. Like a few of us, I too think your download is corrupted. Time to reinstall!
It won't erase any projects you have, even if saved in GIMP's format, but it will reset a lot of your tools and customizations.
10th Sep 2020, 4:47 PM #10
I'm using the same version of GIMP without this issue. Like a few of us, I too think your download is corrupted. Time to reinstall!
It won't erase any projects you have, even if saved in GIMP's format, but it will reset a lot of your tools and customizations.

Okay! That was my only worry about uninstalling (I'm not good with computers)
10th Sep 2020, 5:11 PM #11
Hmm, remembering having a resizing issue using the latest version of Gimp. End up uninstalling it, reinstalling, uninstalling again and just installed an old version that I used before. Things are working fine.
10th Sep 2020, 5:52 PM #12
Hmm, remembering having a resizing issue using the latest version of Gimp. End up uninstalling it, reinstalling, uninstalling again and just installed an old version that I used before. Things are working fine.

I reinstalled 2.10.20 and it seems to be holding up for now. But what version are you running right now in case this version dies again?
11th Sep 2020, 3:47 AM #13
Botanist
there go my hopes and dreams of stealing a manga
11th Sep 2020, 5:06 AM #14
Dan with a Plan:I reinstalled 2.10.20 and it seems to be holding up for now. But what version are you running right now in case this version dies again?

Went with 2.8.22. Not a 100% sure why that version other then recalling it was a 2.8 version I was previously using.
11th Sep 2020, 9:39 AM #15
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Eh. everyone's ahead of me with my 2.6
13th Sep 2020, 4:41 PM #16
Quick update: I was watching a stream and mentioned that GIMP was crashing on me in chat and the streamer actually saw that and told me limited memory might be the issue but didn't go into real detail after that.

I still have plenty of space on my laptop memory-wise, so is there a way for me to improve GIMP's performance using that spare memory? The closest thing I could figure is something called "Tile cache size" in the preferences.

Mine is at 3017 MB right now. Would putting in a slightly larger number do anything helpful?
13th Sep 2020, 6:51 PM #17
I can't help with your GIMP issues because I switched to Krita a while ago, but if you're worried about losing your files you should be regularly be backing them up on a different hard drive and/or thumb drive and/or cloud somewhere. Good luck!
13th Sep 2020, 7:12 PM #18
Dan with a Plan:Mine is at 3017 MB right now. Would putting in a slightly larger number do anything helpful?

did you mention it involved the rotate tool? because that can make a difference in some way.

otherwise
it could, but its also dependent on how much ram space your pc has. wont matter if your parts arnt strong enough to give that memory.

which also may just be it. with any new features on GIMP it may just be too much for your laptop to handle. if the memory thing doesn't work out then i suggest downgrading to an older gimp.
13th Sep 2020, 10:26 PM #19
Okay, I boosted the tile cache to 3500 MB and that helped a little, but I'm still getting freezes.

RazorD9's suggestion:
Went with 2.8.22. Not a 100% sure why that version other then recalling it was a 2.8 version I was previously using.

After the tile cache thing, I went and downloaded the above version from the but got this error:
gimp-2.8.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point libintl_printf could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\GIMP2\bin-2.8.exe

second error window:
gimp-2.8.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point inflateValidate could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\GIMP2\bin\libpng16-16.dll.

That's actual Latin to me...

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!

It's working now. I still had 2.10.20 on my laptop when I installed 2.8.22 so I think they were conflicting somehow?

Big problem: All my XCF files are incompatible so now I need to uninstall and re-download the latest...

Merged Doublepost:

GOD DAMN IT ALL I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO OLD VERSIONS EVER AGAIN

Complete failure! With all that switching back and forth between the versions something horrendous happened that's never happened to me before. I tried to make a drop shadow but it crashed so hard it ERASED THE CONTENTS OF MULTIPLE LAYERS and I didn't notice until AFTER I had made a save! Not even ctrl-z could make the lost content come back, the stupid layers were still there, only the actual art in them were deleted for some god-forsaken reason! I spent a week on that page, and now only the simplest images are left... I never would have tried any of this if I knew this was going to happen.

Sorry for going off like this, put I'm in tears right now. I need sleep, but between this BS and the fires near me, I'm too angry to go to bed. I feel like throwing up. GIMP WAS the art program I'd been the most comfortable with since 08', but now I don't know what will happen, and it's all wrenching my guts...
Two weeks ago, 5:42 PM #20
Maybe Krita can open the XCF? I heard XCF isn't the best format so maybe also save in PSD if you can because more programs can read and edit PSD. Also the ORA format might be better.

P.S. You might like PaintTool SAI because it's fairly intuitive and easy to use.

https://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/