Forum > General discussion > Bad advice from non comic people
Pages: 1 2 3
11th Sep 2020, 4:12 PM #41
"You're making a superhero comic? You should pitch for DC or Marvel!"
i am queer and mentally ill, writing about queer and mentally ill people. since when did mainstream comics ever care about us beyond sales boost potential.
"Can you animate this for me? Make it photo-realistic, in fact just trace this gif frame by frame. I have a 24 hour deadline. Here's $80."
a real commission i was once given, when i am not trained in photo-realism, on december 23rd, when i worked retail.
11th Sep 2020, 4:36 PM #42
Here are a few I've heard:

"Well, this is pretty good art. But why don't you do something more like...related to your job as a (insert day job here)"
That one never ceases to amaze me. It's kind of like asking a person who works in the legal system/criminal justice field why they prefer to relax by watching reruns of Quantum Leap instead of Law and Order.

"Why don't you look at what Marvel and DC is doing? After all, you should be studying the competition."
As individual creators, we are not competing with the multi billion dollar corporations. They produce products for mass consumption. We produce personal works.

"Your characters are kind of boring and dull. You should go back an look at why those superheroes are so popular."
The problem is, I don't do superheroes.

"This sort of looks like anime. You gotta create your own style that's totally unique and is totally you!"
They never say which anime which means that they're not exactly familiar with anime beyond the superficial. I don't think you should try too hard to be different. And very few styles are created from the ground up. We usually base our style on something we've already seen and liked. And then we add a few flourishes to make it our own.
11th Sep 2020, 5:07 PM #43
MK_Wizard:“If you draw more realistically, your art will be better.” (As if anyone looks like a cartoon)

This one cracks me up because, as someone who always preferred a more realistic style, I got constantly told that my art would "never sell", that it wasn't "suited for children" (as if I even wanted to be a children's illustrator), that "it looks like something out of a XIX century book", "it's too outdated", "it's not even a style" and "you should really learn to simplify".
Damned if you do, damned if you don't, basically :'D
11th Sep 2020, 5:26 PM #44
eekee:Galaxion survived

I'm pals with Tara Tallan and that whole great crew from Toronto!
11th Sep 2020, 11:11 PM #45
One I forgot:
Soooo....uhhh...You should show people your real art skillz.
Meaning?
I mean without the computer doing all the work for you.
This conversation is finished!
11th Sep 2020, 11:28 PM #46
straker:One I forgot:
Soooo....uhhh...You should show people your real art skillz.
Meaning?
I mean without the computer doing all the work for you.
This conversation is finished!

Ouch. That's awful :(
11th Sep 2020, 11:38 PM #47
“You should make your comic more like this guy’s.”
“No one reads adaptations any more.”
“You shouldn’t write about England. You’re not British and you might offend someone.”
11th Sep 2020, 11:46 PM #48
"You should add a special ore that the characters find. Then they can make all kinds of magical weapons and armor from it."

My comic is filled with non technologically primitive types with barely anything resembling a functional civilization. It is not your Minecraft/generic crafting game fantasy.
11 days ago, 8:16 AM #49
"LandLubber should be about these three real world people rather than a half-mermaid."

"Woah, you should make a cartoon about some dude getting a seizure from playing video games!" (procedes to make sounds that moreso sound like extreme wrist cramps)

"This is a better time than ever to make political cartoons!"
11 days ago, 2:04 PM #50
ebenfrostey:"This is a better time than ever to make political cartoons!"

If there is anything the internet has taught me, it's that art and politics are not good bedmates.
11 days ago, 6:21 PM #51
every time people seem to think that i should, and WILL, have a certain pokemon in my comic just because i have another. which is a problem specific to my genre but still TwT and also every time someone has suggested i do something that is very obviously their fetish, i'd run out of appendages to count on if you asked me how often i've gotten that super "cool" suggestion
Yesterday, 2:01 AM #52
rivaling gator
Lutzbug:"Whaddaya mean, you don't know how to do that and there's entire Bachelor's degree tracks that teach people how to animate? Isn't there some cartoon button you can push to make it move?"

Ugh, these people, they are the same as people who think 'digital art' means the computer magically did all the work for you. Digital art is a great deal like traditional art, it still has to be made by an artist who spends time and effort on it. The only difference is we are painting with light instead of paint or ink.

And animation is more like 2400X the work, depending on how smooth you want it, you have to do 24 frames per second if you want lifelike animation. My comic icon is 26 frames to go through a subtle rainbow gradient. My final project for getting my degree in animation, me and three others took two and a half months to hand draw 3:22 minutes of animation.