Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > JK Rowling's Trash, Let's Comiserate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
11 days ago, 9:08 PM #21
Birb is the Worb
The books/film split is an interesting point to raise, since films are the combined work of lots of people. All of the Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts actors I've seen respond to this are against her, which could make the films more palatable.

I understand why people might subscribe to Death of the Author, even more understandable when piracy's an option. I guess I'm a little curious if people are able to dislike her and still enjoy her work, or not.
11 days ago, 9:14 PM #22
loved birds way before they were the word
JammyTheBirb:The books/film split is an interesting point to raise, since films are the combined work of lots of people. All of the Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts actors I've seen respond to this are against her, which could make the films more palatable.

If it means anything, Daniel Radcliffe (aka Harry Potter himself) has spoken out against JKR's comments.

From a June press release from The Trevor Project:

Daniel Radcliffe:To all the people who now feel that their experience of the books has been tarnished or diminished, I am deeply sorry for the pain these comments have caused you. I really hope that you don’t entirely lose what was valuable in these stories to you. If these books taught you that love is the strongest force in the universe, capable of overcoming anything; if they taught you that strength is found in diversity, and that dogmatic ideas of pureness lead to the oppression of vulnerable groups; if you believe that a particular character is trans, nonbinary, or gender fluid, or that they are gay or bisexual; if you found anything in these stories that resonated with you and helped you at any time in your life — then that is between you and the book that you read, and it is sacred. And in my opinion nobody can touch that. It means to you what it means to you and I hope that these comments will not taint that too much.

Love always,
Dan
11 days ago, 9:20 PM #23
Imagine shaping your identity as an author into just villainizing a marginalized group of people. Fuck her!
11 days ago, 9:22 PM #24
Oh God, this bitch again. I do still like the Harry potter books, however I don't think ill be getting anything else Harry potter related unless its second hand, a gift or from an independent creator.

You can still like things without liking or supporting the creator of said thing. You can probably find the books second hand on ebay or at a thrift store (though the condition they're in might vary) and theres plenty of people on redbubble and teespring who sell harry potter related prints.
11 days ago, 9:29 PM #25
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
i'd like it if people's complaints translated to her actually losing influence. that clearly won't happen, this isn't like prying cthulhu out of hp lovecraft's crusty dead hands, jk rowling will continue to profit from her work for a very long time and she'll continue to use her fame to spread her worldviews. she's got a freakin theme park. this isn't even the first time people have gotten mad at her. but one can dream
11 days ago, 9:52 PM #26
JammyTheBirb:The books/film split is an interesting point to raise, since films are the combined work of lots of people. All of the Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts actors I've seen respond to this are against her, which could make the films more palatable.

I think there is a difference between something made by an individual, and something made by a group. When it's a group, it could be unfair to discredit the work of everyone else due to the actions of an individual. Ultimately though, we all have to find out own answer to whether or not we want to engage with media when a creator has done terrible things. I think the best we can do is, if we choose to engage with the media, respect those who have chosen not to.

It's not always easy to find an answer though. I still have media that I've been conflicted on for years.

I also don't agree with pirating the work of a problematic creator. Two wrongs don't make a right, and all that. I'd say the best method to engage with media without giving money to the creator would be to buy it at a charity shop/thrift store, since then the money would go to charity.
11 days ago, 9:53 PM #27
Birb is the Worb
It may take many many years, but I believe one day the pedestal will crumble.
11 days ago, 10:03 PM #28
khkddn:i'd like it if people's complaints translated to her actually losing influence. that clearly won't happen, this isn't like prying cthulhu out of hp lovecraft's crusty dead hands, jk rowling will continue to profit from her work for a very long time and she'll continue to use her fame to spread her worldviews. she's got a freakin theme park. this isn't even the first time people have gotten mad at her. but one can dream

Supposedly, people are refusing to work on the new Fantastic Beasts and the Events Unrelated to Them or publish new books on Harry Potter, but that might be temporary unfortunately. As someone on twitter said, it'd be better if people cared about trans people outside of when JKlown does stupid things.

Also, don't forget the time she threatened to sue a teen site for warning their readers that she might not be a good person to interact with! Not even insults, just for suggesting she isn't the perfect feminist icon.

Here's a masterlist of YA books with trans/NB leads if anyone wants something new to replace the franchise
11 days ago, 10:18 PM #29
Birb is the Worb
Oh yeah, that's another one for the list, she threatened to sue a woman with 48 twitter followers for saying mean things about her.

Actually she's done stuff like that more than once.
10 days ago, 1:52 AM #30
This garbage is similar to Lovecraft, but at least he had his, "Hey, you guys, sorry I said all that stupid shit when I was younger" moment. Hopefully, Rowling will do the same, but the problem is, she's older now than Lovecraft was when he died. Ugh.
10 days ago, 2:08 AM #31
Never knew who this person even was until now, but being this person seems to be a massive bigot, perhaps it would have been for the best that things stayed that way.

People need to learn to quit fishing around in other people's closets and learn to respect people's rights.
10 days ago, 2:10 AM #32
mightguy15:People need to learn to quit fishing around in other people's closets and learn to respect people's rights.

THIS
10 days ago, 2:12 AM #33
This isn't wishful thinking or anything, but if JK Rowling had died right after writing the last sentence of Deathly Hallows, she wouldd be immortalized as one of the greats, and considered a cultural icon. Now she is some wierdo bigot who thought a bit too hard about wizards shitting. What a time.
10 days ago, 3:21 AM #34
Jean_Q_Citizen:This garbage is similar to Lovecraft, but at least he had his, "Hey, you guys, sorry I said all that stupid shit when I was younger" moment. Hopefully, Rowling will do the same, but the problem is, she's older now than Lovecraft was when he died. Ugh.

So did he regretted being a racist butt? I mean, I know in his time racism was widely accepted but I thought he had these views until the day he died.

---

Back on topic, I'm also glad I was never a fan of the Harry Potter franchise. I would be disappointed too if I had idolized her like many young people she's now actively hating. I mean, I already have the misfortune of Nobuhiro Watsuki being a pedo.
10 days ago, 3:30 AM #35
Y'know, I could have sworn I saw something where he kinda-sorta said something about how he regretted some of his earlier writings and blamed his mother for giving him his racist outlook, but I can't find it now. So maybe he just died an asshole.

Damn, now I'm even more disappointed in humanity than when I came into this thread.
10 days ago, 4:10 AM #36
Eh, don't feel too bad.

I actually had a thread regarding such a thing. I was curious either or not we should judge people's work based on the merits of their character and I ended up learning a lot.

I think a big issue here seems to be the whole "hero worship" fiasco. I try not to be the type of person that idolizes someone because at the end of the day that person is still a flawed individual. We all are.

That's why I kinda feel like there should be a limit to how much you care about a particular persons opinion on such things. Like, I feel like it's ok to like H.P. Lovecrafts work but still feel he was a fucking idiot in some regards, mainly because that's true for a LOT of people, as is the nature of humans in general.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not against pointing out how messed up some of the stupid shit these people say and do is. They should definitely be criticized for those actions since they insist on learning the hard way that shit is not ok.

But I don't think it's a statement on humanity in general, times are much better than they were back then! As a society and a species, our moral compasses are constantly evolving. If we can reach a point where we think it's ok for someone to exist with a darker skin color, surely a day where someone wanting to do what they want with their own body will be more accepted even by the most conservative lot.

Besides, people say and do stupid things all the time. Not all the times does it mean they don't change their mind or actually even mean it. If someone is adamant on being a piece of shit and using these idiotic philosophies to actively harm people, then sure that can be depressing. Fortunately though, jerks of this category make up an ever shrinking minority.
10 days ago, 4:29 AM #37
Well, some of it's the time frame. Lovecraft lived in a time where a large portion of the population was horribly racist by today's standards, but was still pretty virulent even for back then. Rowling exists in a time when people should know better by now, but she sadly doesn't. So I think history might judge her more harshly.
10 days ago, 2:49 PM #38
Not only she should know better, she's working actively to make it worse. I forgot where, but her TERF manifesto(I'm sure it's a "just asking questions and protecting women" blog post if you ask her, but we know what it's for) was used in government to try and pass laws against trans people, and she's knowingly using her influence to put dangerous stereotypes on trans people.

Lovecraft was horribly racist but also afraid of anything, with no incentive to learn more. If he got pushed out of his bubble a little earlier and wasn't scared of even math and air conditioning, things might've been different; while JK has all the information and connections in the world and chooses to ignore them instead.
10 days ago, 3:24 PM #39
I really did like Harry Potter, especially the first books. Now I associate it too much with her terrible campaign against trans people too much..can't at all support her or enjoy her work especially with how aggressive she is spreading her views with her huge platform :/
10 days ago, 4:00 PM #40
Rowling seemed creative and smart for the longest time. What happened? It's like her brain is shutting down with the spurious claims and poorly-researched essays.

Are there any clues or interpretations of the Potter books that hint at her psychology? There's so much transformational magic in there that would seem to spring from an open mind, but maybe it was the domain of Voldemort? Maybe her PTSD is getting triggered somehow. It's no excuse for bigotry but maybe her deep-seated fears of men cause her to make irrational statements. And bigotry actually seems irrational, not really a rational choice.

Just recently found out The Matrix was a trans allegory, so that's kind of a parallel mythology released in the same era as Potter.

In the future, people will be able to transform into biological men or women at will as easy as going to a hair salon. I don't know if Rowling is creative enough to imagine that? Maybe she's more rignt-wing conservative in that regard because they're probably angered and frightened by the implications of that prospect? Dunno if Rowling has political influence but her comments might be fueling right-wing politics. It's like gender eugenics or something, to keep the gender lines "pure." On the bright side, trans women will actually be able to menstruate and bear children in the future, if they want to, but it depends on a compassionate political climate to make it legal.

If Rowling has political influence, her comments might be fueling right-wing politics in unexpected ways. On the other hand, vitriol against her may backfire and fuel the right as well. Politics is so weird. Anyway, if we want a compassionate egalitarian political future, what is the best way to bring that about? Is engaging Rowling in a rational dialog more productive than hating her? I guess one could do both, just not simultaneously very well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_J._K._Rowling
https://www.thecut.com/2020/07/j-k-rowling-writes-essay-defending-her-transphobic-remarks.html
https://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/usts/USTS%20Full%20Report%20-%20FINAL%201.6.17.pdf
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/30/18286436/the-matrix-wachowskis-trans-experience-redpill
https://futurism.com/neoscope/trans-reproductive-tech