Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > JK Rowling's Trash, Let's Comiserate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 days ago, 4:28 PM #41
I never liked HP myself, but this is a prime example of love the work, hate the author. Well, unless it's her newest book (I think it's called "Cursed Child") which I really don't want to talk about how it screws over the entire HP canon.
8 days ago, 4:28 PM #42
I'm in that weird zone where I'll always love the HP series, yet hate the author. I've owned the books since they first came out, and HP is an integral part of my childhood. However, that part has very little to do with the author: call me sexist, but I literally believed 'J K Rowling' was a man (in a sort of background way? I didn't think much about authors at all, I just vaguely registered the name, and I still don't) until my friend in middle school told me otherwise. So I don't have an association between HP and JKR.

I'll never support her by buying any more of her books, but I don't have to. Will I enjoy re-reading them? Yes. Will I buy any of her other books? No. Her writing seems to have gone downhill anyway, if the Cursed Child stuff and the new Fantastic Beasts films are to go by.
8 days ago, 4:43 PM #43
Robotwin.com:Are there any clues or interpretations of the Potter books that hint at her psychology?

Off the top of my head I can't think of explicit transphobia in the Harry Potter books (although I've heard that her later works have some very bad trans rep), but looking back on the books, there are things that sit uncomfortably with me:
- Brain damage caused by memory charms is supposed to be funny.
- Spiking food/drink with a love potion is supposed to be funny - in fact, the very idea that love potions are considered a practical joke.
- We are supposed to think Hermione is silly for campaigning for House Elf rights because 'They're happy being slaves'.
- Harry and Hermione both committed war crimes, as they both performed unforgivable curses in the final book.
- On that same note, Harry was capable of feeling the hatred required to successfully pull off a Cruciatus curse, and this is not depicted as being a bad thing.
- We're supposed to feel sorry for Snape because Lily stopped being friends with him after he called her a racial slur.
- Snape's entire motivation for joining the good guys was 'When I sold out the Potters I didn't know that Voldemort would kill Lily too. I was totally willing to let her husband and son die though.'

In fairness, a lot of media has at least some problematic elements, but they're a lot easier to spot when the author makes themselves extremely unlikable.
8 days ago, 4:44 PM #44
JC Webcomics:I'm so done with Rowling. The Harry Potter books were a pretty big part of my childhood and teenage years, and I'll always cherish the feelings I had reading them, but I'm done with her. Don't know what my relationship to the books/films will be going forward - at the very least, I probably won't read the books again. It makes me sad that someone who once wrote that love was the most powerful magic of all chose to use her fame to spread hate.

And I really need to get back to writing my novel. Dunno if 'I wanted to spite a TERF' is the best motivation to want to be a successful author, but if were to gain a fraction of Rowling's success, I hope I'd be a better person than her. Also I need to add more trans characters to my novel.

Many feel the same about Ender's Game and the author behind it. Theres nothing to do but move on to other things and hope the creators behind those other things are more progressive or (if they know in their heart that they are not) at least have the sense to keep their political views to themselves.
8 days ago, 5:01 PM #45
Birb is the Worb
JC Webcomics:Off the top of my head I can't think of explicit transphobia in the Harry Potter books (although I've heard that her later works have some very bad trans rep), but looking back on the books, there are things that sit uncomfortably with me:
- Brain damage caused by memory charms is supposed to be funny.
- Spiking food/drink with a love potion is supposed to be funny - in fact, the very idea that love potions are considered a practical joke.
- We are supposed to think Hermione is silly for campaigning for House Elf rights because 'They're happy being slaves'.
- Harry and Hermione both committed war crimes, as they both performed unforgivable curses in the final book.
- On that same note, Harry was capable of feeling the hatred required to successfully pull off a Cruciatus curse, and this is not depicted as being a bad thing.
- We're supposed to feel sorry for Snape because Lily stopped being friends with him after he called her a racial slur.
- Snape's entire motivation for joining the good guys was 'When I sold out the Potters I didn't know that Voldemort would kill Lily too. I was totally willing to let her husband and son die though.'

In fairness, a lot of media has at least some problematic elements, but they're a lot easier to spot when the author makes themselves extremely unlikable.

There's even more. Rita Skeeter is described physically in a VERY similar disparaging way to Pippa, the 'crazy trans person' in her later book. Additionally, it casts the fact girls can enter boys' dorms but boys magically can't enter girls' dorms in a whole new light.

Her non white characters tend to have either very generic, poorly thought out or just... Why names. 'Shacklebolt' was not a good idea. The goblins reflect a LOT of antisemitic stereotypes. Fleur's made fun of by the characters and disliked by all the girls because she's French-? And to put it bluntly, the diversity of her characters in every conceivable way does not reflect the diversity of people in Great Britain.

She accidentally implied Voldemort couldn't feel love because he was conceived nonconsenually, and had to backpedal hard. The decision that Nagini used to be a human feels pretty disgusting too, since she's an evil guy's pet in the main stories. Hermione permanently disfigures a girl for being a 'sneak,' then there's what happens with Umbridge... Actually JKR seems to really enjoy punishing female characters she doesn't like while Hermione can get away with whatever she likes.
8 days ago, 6:22 PM #46
loved birds way before they were the word
jammy:Actually JKR seems to really enjoy punishing female characters she doesn't like while Hermione can get away with whatever she likes.

Lest we forget that Hermione is supposed to be an author self-insert. JKR has admitted that Hermione is an exaggerated version of her younger self.

EDIT: I know that a lot of media has problematic elements, but I can usually let them slide because they at least made me think about the work critically. It's a lot more glaring when the author is this vulgar and unlikable, like JC Webcomics already said.
8 days ago, 6:43 PM #47
This whole new book thing irritates me so much for reasons I'll detail below.

TW: Serial Killer stuff

8 days ago, 6:52 PM #48
I seem to vaguely remember something about staircases not working unless you were the 'right gender' or something like that? Honestly, I feel so sorry for HP fans and am completely baffled that someone who wrote an entire best selling series about overcoming obstacles to be your true self could be such a closed minded bigot???
Always got kinda homophobic vibes from her tbh so not too surprised by it all, but just feel so enraged for her trans fans. Imagine having a huge platform to air your voice and using it to spread hate.
8 days ago, 6:54 PM #49
Drum bum
straker:Many feel the same about Ender's Game and the author behind it. Theres nothing to do but move on to other things and hope the creators behind those other things are more progressive or (if they know in their heart that they are not) at least have the sense to keep their political views to themselves.

oh no.

oh fuck what did that person do i loved ender game as a kid what happened

anyways on topic, fuck her new book, fuck TERFs and I'm coming for JKR's kneecaps. my mom got a harry potter tattoo before JKR went off the fuckin rails, and i feel bad for her. i wanted to finish reading the books, but i don't think i can - she wouldn't be getting any more money from me, to be clear (we own all the books already) but this whole thing has soured my entire experience, as it were.

That said, i will emphasize that the movies shouldn't be off limits. I'm fully on board with the "yeah, the creator was a bitch, but that was a team of people" sort of thing. :^)
8 days ago, 6:55 PM #50
What a sucker
Nyomi:oh no.

oh fuck what did that person do i loved ender game as a kid what happened

Homophobia.
8 days ago, 6:55 PM #51
Birb is the Worb
Yeah, nobody's perfect and no work is perfect, I don't expect it of anything. But when someone is this harmful towards a group who already have to deal with a lot of shit, to the point she could (and probably has) caused some very real damage, there's no overlooking that for me.

Yup, the 'crossdressing serial killer' is a shit trope. Transphobia aside, it's also cliched as hell, a source of lazy shock value and inaccurate. Of course there's gonna be like... One serial killer who crossdressed, just as there's someone out there with red hair who likes pineapple on pizza. Finding examples doesn't prove anything, evidence does. And there isn't any. Not for a lack of trying, I suppose. These people like to squint hard.

Around the time this blew up last time I found out about a study that indicated when trans women gained more support and acceptance in the 80's, the general rate of crime committed by them fell to around the same level as cis women.
8 days ago, 6:55 PM #52
noblejanobii:This whole new book thing irritates me so much for reasons I'll detail below.

TW: Serial Killer stuff

Agree completely. Sadly, these idiots will literally hold on to any studies that 'prove' their idiotic views despite them being disproved, or better evidence coming forth to argue their reasoning.
8 days ago, 6:57 PM #53
goes fast
JammyTheBirb: just as there's someone out there with red hair who likes pineapple on pizza.

I have red hair and like pineapple on my pizza
8 days ago, 7:24 PM #54
Yeah the whole HP franchise is ruined for me. I just can't look past the author.

---
8 days ago, 7:38 PM #55
Timelapse11:I have red hair and like pineapple on my pizza

Thought I was the only one (the pizza thing unfortunately. I'd love to have naturally red hair).
8 days ago, 8:18 PM #56
I tried with Harry Potter, I really did. My sister loves it, so I grew up with the books, and read the beginnings of the first five, but could never get into them. Likewise saw the first five films; sort of enjoyed the first film and the fifth film and thought the others were over-long slogs. And then JK turns out to be terrible and now I don't feel like I need to try to like this crap anymore. Or disguise the fact that I think it's crap (it's crap, it's all crap, I hate Harry Potter, there I said it).

But I feel bad for my sister or anyone who grew up loving Harry Potter. Even if I don't love it, I understand what it means to love a story or a piece of art so much, and then have it be problematic later. I went through that with Ren & Stimpy (whose creator has done much, much ickier things ... shudder). So that sucks. I commiserate.

May I recommend the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin? Wizards and wizarding schools and much, much better writing. From an author who recognized her own shortcomings with gender roles in the original books and rectified them in later books, and was constantly reevaluating what it meant to be a feminist in her lifetime.
8 days ago, 8:25 PM #57
I really hate hating the woman because she brought us Harry Potter and my feelings for it will never change, but... what she is doing is not ok and I'm not even LGBT let alone transgender. Also, I'm Christian not Muslim. What the woman is doing is so many levels of wrong and it's obvious she had this secret hate in her heart that is now revealing itself.

Like, what brought this on?
8 days ago, 11:08 PM #58
I get exhausted seeing people furiously and vindictively defending her. The majority of psychologists, scientists, and doctors agree that transphobia is bad!! Can this obscenely rich author not afford books to read
8 days ago, 11:20 PM #59
We have people stanning brand accounts that never interacted with them and never will and actively searching for the name to argue with anyone that says anything bad of it (not to say what people do with celebrities); people find the darnest things to base their boundaries at.

However, there's a lot of people that also tie themselves to HP nostalgia. Like the thread that was mentioned a few times already, there's liking the thing and accepting the author is a bad person, there's being apathetic about it, and there's latching onto the work because it embodies your childhood and any criticism of anything about that work (author/company that owns franchise, adaptations, characters) as an affront to their very memories. I see that a lot in games, probably for having more frequent and hyped up entries than most book series.
8 days ago, 11:21 PM #60
Birb is the Worb
She's been lovebombed by awful people. She now thinks they're oh so nice and kind, giving her all that support against the meanie trans activists so she's not going to want to risk learning something and alienating her 'feminist' pals.
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > JK Rowling's Trash, Let's Comiserate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7