Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > JK Rowling's Trash, Let's Comiserate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 days ago, 11:54 PM #61
Oh yeah, and there's also the fact that JK Rowling tried to make us sympathize with an incel/child abuser. How could I have forgotten to mention THAT?
8 days ago, 11:57 PM #62
Birb is the Worb
I've not heard of that one!
One week ago, 12:16 AM #63
Drum bum
(i made a typo that made my statement sound a lot ickier than i meant it, so to be clear, my mom did not get a tattoo because jkr went off the rails. i meant to write before ahjksdfhjkdls my mom is, thankfully, cool w lgbt. which is good. because she has two lgbt kids. and i would cry if that weren't the case).

god, i'm sorry, i'm not intending to derail and i'll get off the subject in a second, but orson scott card is a massive piece of a shit, isn't he? that's incredibly disappointing. substantial racism and aggressive homophobia. ugh. uuuugh. son of a bitch, man. he calls himself a democrat, too - one of those cases of beware those who say they're your ally but are actually massive pieces of shit. (not that i even identify as a democrat - i'm so far left my head is probably up my own ass - but...)

anyways jkr writing an entire book that's an allegory for her terf ways and substantiates harmful stereotypes is fucking. ugh

i'm just tired.
One week ago, 6:36 AM #64
Yeah, this whole situation is kinda disgusting. I've never been a big fan of HP (I've never disliked it, there has just always been things that I've enjoyed a lot more) but I really feel for the big fans out there.

I kinda disliked JKR even before this with all her twitter snafus, Snape apologism and "I claim to have representation in my books but I won't bother writing it" but this was truly the final nail in the coffin for me.
If it wasn't for this, I could imagine wanting to rewatch the films sometime for nostalgia's sake (Except for Deathly hallows part 2, but that's because I went to see that film right at the same time as the 2011 Norway massacre took place and that tainted that film with negative emotions for me)

But knowing what we know about her now, I couldn't do that with a good concience. I get that no creator is completely umproblematic but as many others has pointed out: JKR is a pretty unique case, since she is so deeply involved in her creation and since it has given her so much power and influence. So yeah, I'm staying far away from HP from now on. As I mentioned, It isn't a big sacrifice for me since I'm not a big HP fan, but I really feel sorry for the big fans out there.

To finish this off, I'll quote Lindsay Ellis: "Stop buying Harry Potter stuff, Donkey Kong says trans rights"

One week ago, 9:33 AM #65
mightguy15:I think a big issue here seems to be the whole "hero worship" fiasco. I try not to be the type of person that idolizes someone because at the end of the day that person is still a flawed individual. We all are.

That's why I kinda feel like there should be a limit to how much you care about a particular persons opinion on such things. Like, I feel like it's ok to like H.P. Lovecrafts work but still feel he was a fucking idiot in some regards, mainly because that's true for a LOT of people, as is the nature of humans in general.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not against pointing out how messed up some of the stupid shit these people say and do is. They should definitely be criticized for those actions since they insist on learning the hard way that shit is not ok.

This, basically.
Plenty of authors/musicians/artists I love have done/said questionable things, but usually that won't stop me from liking their works. That is, unless we're talking about crimes so awful that simply *thinking* about them makes me sick and prevents me from enjoying any of what they did (looking at you, Marion Zimmer Bradley). But yep, idolizing people is not for me either: I might like your work, but that doesn't mean being a fan of you as a person, and if you do something wrong, I will criticize it, while still recognizing your merits as an artist/writer/whatever.

As for Harry Potter itself... it's been a huge part of my childhood, but I started to lose my interest after book four. Things got slightly better with book six, but then book seven with all of its pointless character deaths came along and I was rather disappointed, even though I admired Rowling's ability to neatly tie everything in. Plus, I still watched all the movies and cried like a little kid over

Re-reading the series as an adult, I keep finding issues with it. Like how pretty much all "bad" characters are always "ugly" or "fat" or how Hermione's activism is presented as "annoying" rather than a good example to follow (and the fact that most house elves seem to not care about it only seems to further confirm the message that "fighting to stop slavery is pointless, slaves don't want to be saved, after all!" -_-).

So while I won't deny the influence the series had on me as far as plot writing and worldbuilding goes, I recognize that JKR is far from perfect as a writer.

And as for her recent claims... ugh. Just ugh.

The thing that totally blows my mind is how she will go on and on with her rants about "trans women appropriating female spaces!!1!" when she was the one who built her entire career over gender ambiguity and still publishes books under a masculine name. Hypocrisy, much?
Definitely, I doubt I will be buying any more of her books in the future. I still have my HP books and DVDs and I'm not going to stop re-reading/re-watching them if I feel like it, but as for giving her even more money than she already has... nope.
One week ago, 9:48 AM #66
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
I've not been following because I'm not really a harry potter fan. It must be hard for progressive people and trans people especially who were moved by her books.

It must be really hard for people who had a shitty time growing up and imagined a better life in hogwarts, only to hear that the writer has such a lot of bad opinions about them.

I think a big issue here seems to be the whole "hero worship" fiasco

I don't think it has a lot to do with hero worship for most people. They weren't idolising her as an author, they were invested in the harry potter world. Lots of young people imagine themselves in the story or make fan fiction, so it wasn't specifically about wanting to emulate or be like JK. It's about those people who felt like the imaginary Hogwarts they built for themselves would be a safe and welcoming place suddenly finding out that the Author wouldn't support that.
One week ago, 10:43 AM #67
I'm not into all this crap about Rowling, Harry Potter, the things she wrote, said or did. I don't even care. What I find fascinating is all the media making this noise, people rising torchs, the Fuck terfs, kill terfs, hate terfs, destroy terfs against a single person who did what? Sorry, I don't remember all this noise for Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, Paul Gauguin or Pablo Picasso. I mean, sure, those guys were really fucked up, did awful stuff and people know, but still people can separate their art from what they did. Nobody tried to destroy Allen's career even if we know the guy banged his own daughter. I just wonder why is Rowling so different and the worst person on Earth right now.
One week ago, 11:05 AM #68
Picasso doesn't have twitter, and doesn't tell his teenage audience to cut their ears off.
One week ago, 11:09 AM #69
No, he was just an abusive prick who did actual damage. But we still admire his work.
One week ago, 11:30 AM #70
JK Rowling is someone alive today who actively uses her platform to try and influence people, young and old, to adopt her way of thinking. A way of thinking that is incredibly harmful and creates danger towards the people she is against. Not to mention the people she's against do not affect her life in the slightest. She uses the trust her fans have given her because she's created something monumental in some of their lives to try and manipulate their thoughts. Some people agree with her only because of who she is and what she means to them and their childhoods.
I don't know about the people you mentioned, other than Picasso, but I don't see any of them promoting their behaviour regularly on social media to young audiences.

---
One week ago, 12:04 PM #71
Thanks for bothering to explains what I could only make sarcastic jokes and hand motions about.
One week ago, 12:04 PM #72
smartest motherfucker around
I think it's irrelevant what other people did and the backlash they did or didn't get. Everyone's responsible for their own actions JK Rowling included. Saying someone else did something worse so no one should be upset with her doesn't really hold up imo.

People get angry when they feel they or someone else are threatened in some way. It's probably worth considering when you think about your own or other people's anger.
One week ago, 12:06 PM #73
Birb is the Worb
^This. She's alive, and she's extremely powerful and influential. No one, even people who defend or still like those men are advocating for others to do the things they did, that would be disgusting and ludicrous and everyone knows it. JK Rowling is trying to do some real damage. Her 'essay' was used by certain politicians to try to sneak transphobic legislation through at the beginning of lockdown. She doesn't want trans women in female spaces, and she doesn't want children to transition socially or be given medical treatment they really need. (No, not surgery. Hormone blockers for over 12s, and HRT for over 16s.)

I'm not going to feel bad for Rowling or her career anymore. Maybe one day her legacy won't be so shining, but for the forseeable future her massive wealth and influence is going nowhere. That makes her really dangerous, actively so. She's spreading actual misinformation. She's outright wrong on...Almost everything and her sources are pretty much all flawed, biased, misinterpreted and/or disproven.
One week ago, 12:10 PM #74
That's very scary. Now, I don't feel bad about hating her now. I can't say what's fact or what's fiction on being transgender beyond the obvious that everyone can see, but I don't go around trashing them or pretending to know. Like, one thing that is fact is that transgender people are people with feelings and rights. They're going to see you write lies about them and it's only natural that they're going to be outraged. I would too if I was in their place.
One week ago, 12:12 PM #75
That's very scary. I also hate it when transphobes play victim whenever someone is defending transgender people. It's really a hard moment for those progressive and transgender people who are moved by JK's books.
One week ago, 12:18 PM #76
will die on Dec 14th 2021, 3:25 PM
AmazingApplePie:No, he was just an abusive prick who did actual damage. But we still admire his work.

It’s 2020 not 1940. Life and behaviors were completely different. As were attitudes towards topics like this.

And I must politely disagree. JK IS doing damage to the millions of readers who believed in her and the millions of trans kids who feel betrayed. Someone they trusted most of their life doesn't validate their existence. That’s some real hurt right there.

Edit: got ninja’d by four posters but our sentiments are the same :’D
One week ago, 12:35 PM #77
The Letter M:I've not been following because I'm not really a harry potter fan. It must be hard for progressive people and trans people especially who were moved by her books.

It must be really hard for people who had a shitty time growing up and imagined a better life in hogwarts, only to hear that the writer has such a lot of bad opinions about them.

I don't think it has a lot to do with hero worship for most people. They weren't idolising her as an author, they were invested in the harry potter world. Lots of young people imagine themselves in the story or make fan fiction, so it wasn't specifically about wanting to emulate or be like JK. It's about those people who felt like the imaginary Hogwarts they built for themselves would be a safe and welcoming place suddenly finding out that the Author wouldn't support that.

Wait...is that what this is about? I was under the impression people were dissapointed because they expected better from the author and were saddened to find out that's how she feels. I'm sure her fans were sad when they found this out, but I don't see how that stops them from constructing an imaginary Hogwarts that will welcome them. I mean, I've never seen or read Harry Potter, but does the series include trasphobic undertones?

I ask because it isn't uncommon for fans to keep the author disassociated with the work they enjoy while still liking it, we've seen it happen all the time with Butch Hartman. I, personally, was a huge Toriko fan. But after finding out the creator was a pedophile that essentially molested a little girl for money, I no longer consider him a good person while still acknowledging Toriko is a good and morally upstanding character.

I do feel bad for the base, and ultimately, I think it is up to them to decide what they want to do with this new information. I was just saying that it pays to realize that even people you like or look up to can have damning flaws, and you can save yourself a lot of heartache by realizing sometimes, even people you feel are brilliant in other areas can be massive assholes. I fail to see how this statement discredits that, unless you have a different take?

Merged Doublepost:

Jean_Q_Citizen:Well, some of it's the time frame. Lovecraft lived in a time where a large portion of the population was horribly racist by today's standards, but was still pretty virulent even for back then. Rowling exists in a time when people should know better by now, but she sadly doesn't. So I think history might judge her more harshly.

Well, Rowling was born at a time where such things as racism and transphobia weren't really things that were of the past at that point. 1965 was only 3 years prior to Martian Luthor King being shot for saying people should be ok that dudes and gals with darker skin exist. And I mean hell, people in the 1970s where so idiotic that there had to be studies disproving the idea that homosexuality isn't a mental illness, something that wasn't helped by the hyper christians who brought up the fact that God himself is a bigot that considers homosexual acts an abomination (I hear she is also christian too. Fucking terrifying, I wonder how much of the bible she read, think she was one of those people who thought something was strange when she got to Exedus 21 or keep reading the thing like a zombie?).

It isn't really surprising to me she has these ideals. There are probably a LOT of people her age that think like that, I know for a fact I have relatives that talk massive crap about gay and trans people with an aunt even going as far as going on a tirade to one of my gay uncles on how he's going to go to hell (she does that with everyone, don't worry. She also did that to me when she found out I was agnostic).

I will say, however, that we should be thankful people of this caliber is a part of an ever shrinking minority. Once all these dumb ass, bigoted conservatives are out of the way, maybe our society will start recognizing that people can do whatever they want as long as it's well within their own rights, but untill then we just have to deal with these clowns.
One week ago, 12:57 PM #78
Some of the persons I mention are alive and, in the case of Allen, still making movies. Have the standards changed about paedophilia and incest so much tgat nobody cares, or people just can apreciate the art when the artist is a guy?
Sorry, I still cannot understand all the fuss about that woman. There are hundreds, thousands of crimes everyday around the world against trans people. All commited by men. Killings, assasination, slaughter, torture, whatever you may call it. Why there's not a damn post here of triggered people claiming, roaring for that? People is getting killed just for being trans, but all I read is "Rowling said this, Rowling said that" Who the hell cares about a single woman writing down shit? She's a woman on twitter, and people is crying, protesting for that. Go against your governments, your police, the assassins, the system who allows this to happen. Suddenly it's all about one single woman? All this thread because Rowling said something about earrings or whatever when trans people are being killed? Is she really the menace? Isn't terf the new "feminazi"?
One week ago, 12:58 PM #79
mightguy15:Wait...is that what this is about? I was under the impression people were dissapointed because they expected better from the author and were saddened to find out that's how she feels. I'm sure her fans were sad when they found this out, but I don't see how that stops them from constructing an imaginary Hogwarts that will welcome them. I mean, I've never seen or read Harry Potter, but does the series include trasphobic undertones?

I ask because it isn't uncommon for fans to keep the author disassociated with the work they enjoy while still liking it, we've seen it happen all the time with Butch Hartman. I, personally, was a huge Toriko fan. But after finding out the creator was a pedophile that essentially molested a little girl for money, I no longer consider him a good person while still acknowledging Toriko is a good and morally upstanding character.

I do feel bad for the base, and ultimately, I think it is up to them to decide what they want to do with this new information. I was just saying that it pays to realize that even people you like or look up to can have damning flaws, and you can save yourself a lot of heartache by realizing sometimes, even people you feel are brilliant in other areas can be massive assholes. I fail to see how this statement discredits that, unless you have a different take?

Personally, I'm a fan of Sex Pistols. But after finding out Sid Vicious had been held for assaulting Patti Smith's brother Todd with a broken Heineken bottle at the Hurrah nightclub while out on bail following his arrest on suspicion of murdering Spungen, I was heartbroken. I no longer consider him as a good person but I still enjoy listening to Sex Pistols' songs.

Another person whom I admire when I was young who happened to be a bad person was the model, Valeria Lukyanova (the real Barbie). But after finding out she's an anti-feminist white supremacist who hates race-mixing, I no longer consider her as a good person.
One week ago, 1:04 PM #80
the only safe place is the top shelf
mightguy15:I mean, I've never seen or read Harry Potter, but does the series include trasphobic undertones?

The closest that I can think of right now that technically touches trans issues is the scene in which a group of characters, including female ones, use a potion to transform themselves into Harry Potter as a disguise. I can't recall the trans-related implications of this being discussed in that scene however.

That being said though, I never read Harry Potter under that particular lens, so it might well be that anything else that could be considered transphobic simply slipped well under my radar. Also, I am not that familiar with the more peripheral HP stuff or Rowling's non HP-works.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7