Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > JK Rowling's Trash, Let's Comiserate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
One week ago, 1:04 PM #81
AmazingApplePie:Some of the persons I mention are alive and, in the case of Allen, still making movies. Have the standards changed about paedophilia and incest so much tgat nobody cares, or people just can apreciate the art when the artist is a guy?
Sorry, I still cannot understand all the fuss about that woman. There are hundreds, thousands of crimes everyday around the world against trans people. All commited by men. Killings, assasination, slaughter, torture, whatever you may call it. Why there's not a damn post here of triggered people claiming, roaring for that? People is getting killed just for being trans, but all I read is "Rowling said this, Rowling said that" Who the hell cares about a single woman writing down shit? She's a woman on twitter, and people is crying, protesting for that. Go against your governments, your police, the assassins, the system who allows this to happen. Suddenly it's all about one single woman? All this thread because Rowling said something about earrings or whatever when trans people are being killed? Is she really the menace? Isn't terf the new "feminazi"?

I think you have a point in this. I too think it's annoying how people only really seem to pay attention to the popular topics.

But I understand being mad about J.K. Rowling and you have to keep in mind not being a fan of her in the first place makes it easy not to give a fuck about what she did. Her fans and the people she work with are pretty justifyingly pissed off you have to admit. And, ultimately, the ball is in her court. Whatever direction this goes is up to her depending on how much she wants to stand by her views.

I'm going to be honest with you man, I think the biggest reason people don't make threads about the problems going on in the world in general is because you will be here all day fuming over that shit. There's nothing you can do about the status of pedophilia in the world, all you can do is bring awareness to the assholes that molest little kids. If you are this bothered over Allen, no one is stopping you from making your own thread. But to be fair, this topic is about Rowling.
One week ago, 1:06 PM #82
Birb is the Worb
AmazingApplePie:Some of the persons I mention are alive and, in the case of Allen, still making movies. Have the standards changed about paedophilia and incest so much tgat nobody cares, or people just can apreciate the art when the artist is a guy?
Sorry, I still cannot understand all the fuss about that woman. There are hundreds, thousands of crimes everyday around the world against trans people. All commited by men. Killings, assasination, slaughter, torture, whatever you may call it. Why there's not a damn post here of triggered people claiming, roaring for that? People is getting killed just for being trans, but all I read is "Rowling said this, Rowling said that" Who the hell cares about a single woman writing down shit? She's a woman on twitter, and people is crying, protesting for that. Go against your governments, your police, the assassins, the system who allows this to happen. Suddenly it's all about one single woman? All this thread because Rowling said something about earrings or whatever when trans people are being killed? Is she really the menace? Isn't terf the new "feminazi"?

Because this thread is about her, not them. Her being a woman has sod all to do with it. I don't like those guys either, but this thread isn't about incest or paedophilia, it's about transphobia. And she is currently the most powerful and influential person spreading those ideas. I don't give a shit if she hasn't physically hurt anyone.

People get killed for being trans. Where do you think that comes from? Maybe not Rowling herself, but definitely from the people she's aligned herself with. Believe me, I'm pissed at the government and the system too and I'm doing what I can. But at the end of the day, people are allowed to be mad about this. Honestly, I don't even think you've read half of what's been said in this thread.
One week ago, 1:19 PM #83
Carrotsandcucumbers:

Another person whom I admire when I was young who happened to be a bad person was the model, Valeria Lukyanova (the real Barbie). But after finding out she's an anti-feminist white supremacist who hates race-mixing, I no longer consider her as a good person.

Those types of people are always fun. Ideas that come from bad arguments and bad evidence, yet still thinking they have some type of intellectual edge over everyone else. Sometimes I wonder where the hell are these peoples' parents.
One week ago, 1:22 PM #84
smartest motherfucker around
@AmazingApplePie
I feel like you've re-iterated your position without addressing what anyone has said. I don't think this is going to go anywhere.

What's the difference between you being angry at people on this thread and people being angry at JK Rowling?
One week ago, 1:51 PM #85
AmazingApplePie:All commited by men
Isn't terf the new "feminazi"?

there it is

no one's not getting upset over violent crimes being committed against trans people. we are getting upset about people who encourage that behavior. and most of us don't get to go beat the living shit out of street transphobes, but we can talk about how much it sucks that one of the most famous authors in the world (who just happens to be a woman) is spewing some disgusting views to her young, impressionable audience.

this is how TERFs draw people in. acting like women are under attack by evil evil men and cough trans people is the first step. (that, or, believing some groups aren't queer enough because they're not oppressed enough, which, ironically, is what misery contests like "why care about hateful people when there's so much worse around! certainly the entire human population can't care about multiple issues at once!" reek of.) (is the person who made this statement a TERF? likely not, but that just shows how dangerous this sort of rhetoric is.) it starts with innocent talk of "trying to protect women" and ends with violence and anti-trans legislation. we really shouldn't have to wait for the violence to call this shit out.

also, dividing these issues into men vs. women is estranging towards a large section of the queer community. trans guys, amab and masculine nonbinary people, gay/bi/pan/ace men, and even bi women with male partners. we do actually hate Roman Polanski and Woody Allen. execs don't. it's money that props these people up which is why the only people who actually get "cancelled" are poor minority creators anyway.
One week ago, 1:54 PM #86
will die on Dec 14th 2021, 3:25 PM
JammyTheBirb: And she is currently the most powerful and influential person spreading those ideas. I don't give a shit if she hasn't physically hurt anyone.

Exactly.

Rowling is basically an ECONOMICAL FORCE to be reckoned with. To bring her down you have to bring down her own theme park, her movies, her other work. You have to treat her like freakin Voldemort....

“She Who Must Not Be Named.”

And while AmazingApplePie has valid points, I can be mad about multiple things. No one here is saying they support these other folk. In fact when other names came up a lot of people expressed their disappointment in learning about some of their behavior. This also isn't a discussion on separating art from its artist; its about JK Rowling using her huge platform to promote transphobia and how wrong it is.

I’m not trans. I don’t fully comprehend what it is like being trans. But I would never go forth and write a fuckin book based off a harmful stereotype. Im not a hateful asshole.
One week ago, 1:54 PM #87
I'm not angry with you guys, just surprised about all the noise with that Rowling everywhere, not just here. I'm not angry at all. And, even if I were, I'd not go roaming around shouting "kill all these people", as I've heard "kill terfs", "rape terfs" and all that barbaric crap. Honestly, I don't think that kind of horrors make any good to trans people. It only brings more conflict.
I mean, I cannot take it seriously when I hear "terfs' hate speech" and then see all that stuff. It's so low it's not even a debate.
One week ago, 1:59 PM #88
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
the death threats you've seen towards transphobes isn't present in this thread, nobody here is roaming around threatening to kill anyone. it's barely relevant

if anything it's a pointless distraction from trans women who are in real danger and whose fears don't stop at people being shitheads on twitter
One week ago, 2:03 PM #89
Birb is the Worb
And yet for all the anger expressed in this thread, not one of us has called to kill anyone. Don't even bother with the strawmanning.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Dude, I'm sure we're all well aware calling for death/assault is horrible and never justified. I certainly don't want any of that to happen. I want to see their harmful influence limited. Yes, some people out there have been saying it, and that is wrong.
One week ago, 2:07 PM #90
smartest motherfucker around
khkddn Hit the nail on the head. I think it's best to leave it at that. I don't think this is a real conversation and it's not going to develop into one.
One week ago, 2:07 PM #91
GabbyGood:Exactly.

Rowling is basically an ECONOMICAL FORCE to be reckoned with. To bring her down you have to bring down her own theme park, her movies, her other work. You have to treat her like freakin Voldemort....

“She Who Must Not Be Named.”

And while AmazingApplePie has valid points, I can be mad about multiple things. No one here is saying they support these other folk. In fact when other names came up a lot of people expressed their disappointment in learning about some of their behavior. This also isn't a discussion on separating art from its artist; its about JK Rowling using her huge platform to promote transphobia and how wrong it is.

I’m not trans. I don’t fully comprehend what it is like being trans. But I would never go forth and write a fuckin book based off a harmful stereotype. Im not a hateful asshole.

J.K. Rowling being an asshole is the DEFAULT position here, I don't think anyone was arguing against that. I brought that up because I thought the idea that you can't create your own welcoming Harry Potter world, or that you should drop Harry Potter because of this is a bit silly. Maybe not "what the discussion is about" but still just as relevant.

Also, this idea that she needs to be "taken down" is a little bit silly to me. I understand why people are upset, but why to that extent? Her just thinking a stupid thing and writing a stupid book shouldn't warrant a response that strong in my opinion, just let her get her backlash, get told how stupid she is being and just move on. I don't think that just because she is rich and popular that everyone would automatically agree with her no matter what she craps out. Maybe the bigots she associates herself with would feel like their opinions would have a bit more validity, but that matters just as little as the Scientologist thinking their religion is any more meritable because Tom Cruise advocated for them.
One week ago, 2:13 PM #92
mightguy15:Her just thinking a stupid thing and writing a stupid book shouldn't warrant a response that strong in my opinion, just let her get her backlash, get told how stupid she is being and just move on.

sharing articles full of misinformation to her millions of followers does warrant a pretty strong response. and media rep matters. gay, lesbian, and trans people have been vilified in media for decades due to the Hayes code and growing up surrounded by that kind of rhetoric ("I read this book where a MAN DRESSED AS A WOMAN killed all these women! I watched this movie where a MAN DRESSED AS A WOMAN killed all these women!" "I saw a movie where a MAN PREYED ON A YOUNG BOY!") these things matter when you have very little exposure to these issues aside from the media you consume, and the first groups you join are likely to be the ones you get your views from. so it better not be a TERF echo chamber.
One week ago, 2:19 PM #93
I'd like to think there isn't a single person in existence that is that idiotic and simple minded. But an individual who is THAT naive would deserve the ridicule they would inevitably get for regurgitating information they didn't even bother to obtain themselves. I mean, hell, I read One Piece. And in One piece there are trans characters that are heroes. Same with some characters in Marvel and DC. I think there is enough media to expose this level of bigotry as a counter narrative.
One week ago, 2:22 PM #94
we must introduce you to twitter sometime :')
One week ago, 2:24 PM #95
Birb is the Worb
Her essay has literally been quoted by politicians to block extra legal protections for LGBT+ people.

I have a personal stake in all of this. Though it's hard for me to talk about, I transitioned. I was lucky enough to realise at a very young age, so I had treatment and surgery pretty early. I've spent most of my life seeing hatred normalised and spread around, with trans people being the one acceptable punching bag no one would defend. Things have gotten better, but I don't have to dig deep on the internet to find the same comments that were around back then. I don't want these ideas to spread, I don't want to see anyone get hurt and I don't want anyone to be prevented from getting the support and treatment they need, be it because the law is changed because of pressure, or simply because they're too afraid, or are held back by family members who listen to people like Rowling.
One week ago, 2:25 PM #96
tsuri:we must introduce you to twitter sometime :')

Aw shyt, good point. Twitter makes me feel like some of these people need to have their parents take away their phone for a week.
One week ago, 2:37 PM #97
JammyTheBirb:Her essay has literally been quoted by politicians to block extra legal protections for LGBT+ people.

I have a personal stake in all of this. Though it's hard for me to talk about, I transitioned. I was lucky enough to realise at a very young age, so I had treatment and surgery pretty early. I've spent most of my life seeing hatred normalised and spread around, with trans people being the one acceptable punching bag no one would defend. Things have gotten better, but I don't have to dig deep on the internet to find the same comments that were around back then. I don't want these ideas to spread, I don't want to see anyone get hurt and I don't want anyone to be prevented from getting the support and treatment they need, be it because the law is changed because of pressure, or simply because they're too afraid, or are held back by family members who listen to people like Rowling.

Exactly. First off, this thread doubles as more than justified venting. I don't see why anyone would trivialize or say people being offended by this are being too sensitive given how influential JK is. Imagine this is happening and you're spending most of your energy saying people's feelings don't matter. It's like going to a strangers funeral who died from the flu, and spouting flu statistics and saying everyone mourning is being irrational. Read the room.

Yes there are other terrible things going on in the world, that doesn't invalidate this issue or people's feelings on the matter. It's easy to be cynical and think we can't change anything, but if there isn't outrage at the very least, we're implicitly agreeing that these terrible ideas should be allowed to be spread, unchecked. Yes there's other things happening in the world, we can care about more than one thing at a time. This thread is focusing on one very real issue.
One week ago, 2:40 PM #98
JammyTheBirb:Her essay has literally been quoted by politicians to block extra legal protections for LGBT+ people.

I see. I should have known that this was a very personal issue for a lot of people, especially here, so I'm very sorry if I came across as unsympathetic. I actually share your frustration with people who simply MUST for some reason get in other peoples' personal business and make it seem like what people do with their own bodies is wrong because they personally disagree with it. Please stay strong and realize that a day will come when that changes and you will always have friends who will have your backs.

Also most politicians are spineless cowards, such as our own Louisiana govoner John Bel Edwards, whose stances he makes entirely based on what he feels or what's the popular opinion rather than whats good for his own damn citizens. People need to recognize bodily rights and quit whining when people refuse to contort to their pathetic views of reality especially when that consist of a magical flying man telling you what to do.
One week ago, 4:03 PM #99
mightguy15:Aw shyt, good point. Twitter makes me feel like some of these people need to have their parents take away their phone for a week.

Oh, my sweet summer child. These people are adults. Just open any big news twitter, scroll below the first few posts in a particular minority-focused post, and you'll find a lovely person that reads the headline, ignores the article, and goes "someone told me X once and it's a common thing in movies, here's a horrible stereotype about that group". It's like youtube comments, but they get pushed up by bots and people tag searching.

Media is EXTREMELY relevant. Just like social media makes a lot people look at others like they're fictional characters or robots to pump out content, fictional content became as real as real life to their feelings and tastes. Which is why everyone keeps pushing that representation and diversity matters, not one or the other, because you never know when the roulette will fall on a prejudiced work and that's it for the person's opinion on them.
One week ago, 5:48 PM #100
I can't speak as much to the experience of younger people transitioning in the UK, but I have several trans friends in the UK who started transitioning as adults, and despite the fact that some of them were referred for transition over 5 years ago, still aren't on hormones yet (one friend is getting close). NHS wait times for gender transition are extremely long, and there are a tonne of hoops to jump through. So when discussions are had about making it easier to transition, this means 'People shouldn't have to wait 1-2 years just for their first appointment'.

But when people like Rowling start spreading their transphobic views, it gives a false impression of what the system is really like - many people assume 'Oh people can just pop into a Gender Identity Clinic and make irreversible changes to their body right away', when that is far from the case. It makes it harder for meaningful change to happen for the trans community.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7