Forum > News & Announcements > Integrated comment forms + animal genre
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
23rd Sep 2020, 2:51 PM #21
Awesome update! One question, is there a way to change the color of the text on the comment form? Right now I've got black text on a black background.
23rd Sep 2020, 3:58 PM #22
Nice! I'm looking forward to browsing the new genre too. Thanks for your hard work.
23rd Sep 2020, 4:13 PM #23
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
I'm of two minds about this update. it looks great, it makes leaving comments faster and a bit funnier, and as always I appreciate unexpected efforts like this!

the only (personal) problem is, I grew very particular about my custom layouts and making sure everything has more or less the same aesthetic. so, is backward compatibility a thing on CF? as in, this update isn't going to completely override the previous comment system, right? cause I think I'm gonna stick with the previous, half-customizable form for now. I even know how to embed it on the site, which is something i should have done forever ago anyway should sort of replicate what you did.
23rd Sep 2020, 4:38 PM #24
I'm fairly new here (still in the process of building my site for my comic because I want it to be fancy) but this fixes one of the few things I didn't really like about how CF works, which is great! Glad this was done now while I was already in the middle of figuring out the code!

Is there any way to make it so the page refreshes automatically after a comment is posted, just so it shows up for the poster after they submit?
23rd Sep 2020, 4:46 PM #25
Oooo I love this! I was going to tweak my website anyway, so this gives me a good reason to do it sooner. :D Thanks!
23rd Sep 2020, 5:42 PM #26
flyteck:Is there any way to make it so the page refreshes automatically after a comment is posted, just so it shows up for the poster after they submit?

HAH!
This what I thought about since I first tried the new feature :D But didn't dare to ask, because most likely it would require JavaScript.

Altogether it's already a great feature, thanks @Kyo!
23rd Sep 2020, 6:01 PM #27
Kyo
🐊
ShaRose49:Kyo, I just wanna say your new avatar is the best!!

thank you, it was made by Bagel!

tsuri:Awesome update! One question, is there a way to change the color of the text on the comment form? Right now I've got black text on a black background.

You can change the comment form background to a dark color, and it'll change the text to be light. If you have a HTML layout, this is underneath your CSS, otherwise for simple layouts it's in the global layout settings, which are near the bottom in the editor

Matt Comics:I'm of two minds about this update. it looks great, it makes leaving comments faster and a bit funnier, and as always I appreciate unexpected efforts like this!

the only (personal) problem is, I grew very particular about my custom layouts and making sure everything has more or less the same aesthetic. so, is backward compatibility a thing on CF? as in, this update isn't going to completely override the previous comment system, right? cause I think I'm gonna stick with the previous, half-customizable form for now. I even know how to embed it on the site, which is something i should have done forever ago anyway should sort of replicate what you did.

well, the pop-ups themselves will continue working, however I hate to say that the old way of customization by changing the comment URL will probably go away, because I'm planning to restyle the popups to probably look pretty similar to the embedded comment form.

flyteck:Is there any way to make it so the page refreshes automatically after a comment is posted, just so it shows up for the poster after they submit?

yeah, I'll make it do that for leaving comments (although probably not for replies, since it might be annoying to lose your place while the page reloads)

The Letter M:Please forgive my simple brain, but what difference has it made, appart from the fact that the colours of the comment boxes have reverted to white?

EDIT: I don't want to come off as sarcastic or flippant. I know nothing about internet code and actually genuinely do not know what the advantages of the new system are.

the comment form is directly on the page, so you don't have to click a link to load a popup, you can just type the message on the same page as the comic
23rd Sep 2020, 7:41 PM #28
Hi, I'm having some trouble with this update on Chrome mobile. My webcomic site does not view me as logged in and won't let me edit or delete comments, but the "log in" link redirects me to a prompt to log out of the site when I click it in the "leave a comment" box at the bottom of the page, or a "comicfury refused to connect" error if it's underneath a comment. Is this a cookies problem or something on my end, or something with the update itself? I'm using a simple theme layout, if that helps. Thanks!
23rd Sep 2020, 7:58 PM #29
is there a way to make the over all comment box smaller?(just the new one) ive been trying to figure it out, but i cant see where id edit any coding that involves it. ;u;
23rd Sep 2020, 8:00 PM #30
Kyo:Hi!

First of all, I've added a genre for animal comics

= D
23rd Sep 2020, 8:19 PM #31
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
reddog f.13:is there a way to make the over all comment box smaller?(just the new one) ive been trying to figure it out, but i cant see where id edit any coding that involves it. ;u;

that's what I wanted to do (among other things like replacing the arrow with regular button text), but I think we can only change the text area color and button color. this is basically why I'm trying weird workarounds.

Kyo:well, the pop-ups themselves will continue working, however I hate to say that the old way of customization by changing the comment URL will probably go away, because I'm planning to restyle the popups to probably look pretty similar to the embedded comment form.

*humorously flips table* looks like I'll end up biting the bullet at some point. on the plus side, consistency is cool! but how come popups/forms can't have a new design and be somewhat customizable, even without that old url trick? I must be missing something

↓ uh, I forgot to try that!
23rd Sep 2020, 8:51 PM #32
Kyo:
yeah, I'll make it do that for leaving comments (although probably not for replies, since it might be annoying to lose your place while the page reloads)

Awesome! And yeah I agree with that.

reddog f.13:is there a way to make the over all comment box smaller?(just the new one) ive been trying to figure it out, but i cant see where id edit any coding that involves it. ;u;

I managed to make mine smaller by putting it into a div and limiting that in my css! I also have mine in a textbox which puts a background under the option text above/below it.

HTML

<div id="contentwrap"><div class="comment"><div id="commentform">
[v:commentform]
</div></div></div>

CSS

#contentwrap {
margin: auto;
max-width: 700px;
text-align: center;
}

.comment {
margin-top: 10px;
background: rgba(69, 77, 89, 0.5);
color: #ffffff;
min-height: 75px;
width: 700px;
}

This worked for me, and since it's the same textbox I used for the actual comments is matches nicely with the rest of the page.
23rd Sep 2020, 9:26 PM #33
Kyo:
You can change the comment form background to a dark color, and it'll change the text to be light. If you have a HTML layout, this is underneath your CSS, otherwise for simple layouts it's in the global layout settings, which are near the bottom in the editor

Hmmm my comment form background is black, and the text over it (make author note? Html?) Is still black. What am I missing? D:
23rd Sep 2020, 9:31 PM #34
Blimpmaster
Thanks for this, Kyo! I'm also wondering about making the comment box smaller. I've put maximum widths in my CSS to make my site look less spread out on bigger monitors, but I can't figure out where in the CSS this new comment box is (I have limited knowledge of CSS so this could just be me being silly)
23rd Sep 2020, 9:31 PM #35
loved birds way before they were the word
Hey! I'm feeling like a bit of a dum dum but how do you change the color of the text under and above the comment box? I don't know how to make mine stop being black and I can't read it against the dark background

edit: the edit/delete stuff shows up whether you're logged in or not.

fixed it
23rd Sep 2020, 9:33 PM #36
@ lutzbug changing the color of the comment box to something close to black ought to do it, that's what kyo told me to do a few replies up haha
23rd Sep 2020, 9:41 PM #37
Did it actually work for you? My background is black (so dark) but the text is still black. Or does it need to be almost black but not actually black? >.>
23rd Sep 2020, 9:50 PM #38
loved birds way before they were the word
@tsuri

thank you, it worked! I'd rather have the box be white to match the rest of my comment boxes, but I'll make it be dark if it's absolutely necessary.

I also noticed is that the BBcode buttons go away when you're not logged in. Is there a way to have it show up for guest posters? Also saw that BBcode options go away on mobile.

i would also like to know how to make it smaller without breaking the whole comment form.
23rd Sep 2020, 9:55 PM #39
Proxy170:Did it actually work for you? My background is black (so dark) but the text is still black. Or does it need to be almost black but not actually black? >.>

the comment box has to be black, not your comic page's background. you can change this at the bottom of your "edit layout" tab.
23rd Sep 2020, 10:19 PM #40
Is this not the comment box background? It's set to black.

I'm on mobile, wonder if that matters.