Forum > General discussion > Hobbies you'd do if you had the time
Pages: 1 2 3 4
"Hobbies you'd do if you had the time", 5th Oct 2020, 4:18 PM #1
Environment Knight
I've learned over the years that it's hard for me to sustain more than one hobby at a time, that hobby being drawing comics. Now, that's alright, I get more enjoyment out of comics than I have out of any other hobby and that's why I've stuck with it, but I sometimes daydream about what could be...

If you had unlimited time, which hobbies would you try out or engage with more fully?

Personally, I would become a part of the Precious Plastic community. This is an ambitious recycling system that connects people with resources to transform plastic waste back into useable objects, such as chairs, bowls, etc. I've always dreamed of doing something like this, and it would be a great way to engage with my local community as well. The project founders also have a related project called Beyond Plastic, which seeks to use similar machinery to replace single-use plastic with biodegradable materials, and I'm interested in that, too.

update before I'd even posted this: writing this inspired me to check out the project's Discord and I immediately found someone in my city who is trying to get a workshop together, and I made contact with her, so I mean this might just... happen... seize the moment guys, seek out opportunities
5th Oct 2020, 4:38 PM #2
What a sucker
I'd like to make a Haunted House. Which is a bit more than time, there's also money, local talent, real estate, but I'd like to open and design a triple haunt. Three houses, every fall, different themes.

I'd also like to try my hand at working on a video game. I'd like to make a fighting game, probably involving monster OCs or superhuman OCs. Of course, I'd also need some extra man power here as well. Namely for a competent player to see if the game is actually good.
5th Oct 2020, 4:45 PM #3
Ooooo

I would do a million things.

-Write properly
-Paint
-thousands of still lifes
-travel
-bike like crazy and learn bike tricks
-learn parkour
-learn how to 3D animate
-learn how to program video games
-join an acting troupe
-read
-pick up dance again
-develop friendship with hummingbirds
-garden
-take singing lessons

Among other things ahaha
5th Oct 2020, 4:46 PM #4
Birb is the Worb
Knit, read and animate. I do have other hobbies than comics, but these are things that tend to take a long time, so I can't fit them in.
5th Oct 2020, 4:48 PM #5
loved birds way before they were the word
If I had the time, money, and space, I’d love to collect VHS tapes, vintage TVs, and other obsolete analog media from the cassette era. But since I don’t have resources, the closest I can get is admiring other people’s collections on Instagram. Some people have entire rooms dedicated to this stuff!
5th Oct 2020, 4:49 PM #6
not the one who meowed (?)
Animation,
sewing,
Maintaining a big garden,
Reading,
learning to compose music, I guess, since I have songs in my head that I don't know how to put into the physical or digital world :U

All stuff I dabbled in but never put in enough time to really nail it down, you know?

...And becoming overlord of an army of homeless kitties and having them fixed and having them live at my mansion that I totally have, uh huh
5th Oct 2020, 5:01 PM #7
I can explain
I mean, I guess I'd start making comics again. I certainly don't lack for ideas.

I've spent longer than I care to admit watching blacksmithing videos on Youtube. It looks like it would be fun to do. But it's also very slow, especially if you don't have a well-stocked and specialized workshop. Related, I'd like to get into HEMA, but there's no community for it around here, and also I'm not in good enough shape yet, and also also I don't have time for it.

Astrophotography also looks enjoyable, but a) takes a ton of time (hour-long exposures aren't uncommon), and b) light pollution is awful where I live, I'd have to drive an hour just to see the Milky Way.
5th Oct 2020, 5:02 PM #8
Environment Knight
NiaNook:...And becoming overlord of an army of homeless kitties and having them fixed and having them live at my mansion that I totally have, uh huh

Oh yeah, fostering animals is another one I'd do!!
I'm captivated by the idea of taking in a sad, unhealthy critter and transforming them into a happy, healthy little being. Warms my heart :'o
5th Oct 2020, 5:09 PM #9
I can explain
Another one: flight sims.

I actually have a lot of the hardware for it - I spent way too much money on a good HOTAS+pedals setup - but it's a very slow experience (one flight might take a few hours), and learning enough to do it well is a ridiculous time investment (I never did learn radio protocol or instrument flight rules). But the new MS Flight Simulator has me itching to give it a try again.
5th Oct 2020, 5:19 PM #10
I'd like to read more. I used to.
Taking better care of my yard.
Would love to join a polka club or class.
Also would love to join local historical society or library.
There's a lot of volunteering I'd like to do but it just never seems to happen.
Antiquing, not even to collect or sell but just to observe other people's and learn about it.
Learning other languages. Spanish would be etremely useful right now. I hope when I have a commute again I can try with something simple like those teaching cds they have.

Wow haa I sure have a lot of hopes here
5th Oct 2020, 5:22 PM #11
I would become an avid cyclist.

And, I would really like to own ducks. I would take great thrills in building my own tiny pond and coop. I would make one of those awesome ones and spend all day out there. I specifically want ducks because I like their eggs :3 Delicious.
5th Oct 2020, 5:24 PM #12
-World Domination
-I'll draw more
-I'll play more games
-Maybe i'll try doing youtube videos
-genetical engeneering to make unholy abominations
5th Oct 2020, 5:32 PM #13
Funnily enough I used to do Go-karting actually, was really damn good at it as well :)

Unfortunately not only did the place I went to get shut down [budgeting problems, before anyone asks] but it also got expensive and time-consuming, but I've always got a thing for speed like that regardless.
5th Oct 2020, 5:46 PM #14
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
...I mean, the number #1 reason my comic update schedule is "flexible" (Mattspeak for "whenever I can") is that I'm already doing/learning a ton of other things, and they often blend into each other.

but yeah. if I had the money, I'd be already living in an observatory. my telescope is alright, but still not much compared to those huge things.

I'd also like to try sculpture. I wouldn't mind filling a garden with statues of my cryptids.

making actual robots would be great too.
5th Oct 2020, 5:52 PM #15
Probably some useful martial arts, nothing flashy (Krav Maga? MMA? Bruce Lee's invented style?).
5th Oct 2020, 5:53 PM #16
I would make 2 comics.

Actually, real answer, I would learn MMD, and make anime girl dance videos and maybe get back into playing DDR.
5th Oct 2020, 6:54 PM #17
- Gardening. Probably mostly herbs because I love me some fresh basil and stuff like that. Maybe a few vegetables or fruits, too.
-Sculpting. I've done some stuff with sculpy but I'm really not too great yet.
- Martial Arts again. When I was a kid I did Karate for 10 years or so before having to quit because of marching band. One of my regrets in life is not being able to get a black belt.
- I should probably practice guitar more. I keep telling myself that I need to join a band once the pandemic's over.
5th Oct 2020, 7:07 PM #18
If I had the time, I'd engage in the following:

- Tabletop roleplaying games
- Woodworking
- Learning another language (particularly Mandarin/Chinese)
- [Community] gardening
- Dance (on a serious technical/professional level)

The last one is something I used to do, but then had to stop for a myriad of reasons (time being one of them!). I was in an advanced ballet class and took Polynesian dance on the side. I do try and follow instructional videos every once in a while on my own time, but it's just not the same practicing in my own room instead of consistent practice in a proper studio.
7th Oct 2020, 10:03 AM #19
1) I would draw more comics, because it takes too much time to finish one story with my current speed;

2) martial arts: I already do some (Judo and Nippon kempo, 5h/week total) but I would like to dabble in many different styles just for curiosity.
7th Oct 2020, 10:37 AM #20
3D modeling.

I wish I learned that when I was younger instead of investing in drawing. Hopefully one day I can do both.