Forum > General discussion > Free webcomic soundtrack
Pages: 1 2
"Free webcomic soundtrack", 12 days ago, 6:41 PM #1
Free, yes, but a few things about it you should know.

- I am not a musician. I would even hesitate to call myself an amateur musician, I am just someone who likes to play around with sound.
- I do sound as I use to draw - I avoid using virtual preset composing apps or such; I work with authentic analogue equipment, in my case a rare vintage analogue synth, a 1964 hameg oscilloscope, electronic effect units and a solidbody electric guitar. I am testing parts of the equipment here. The two-pole unit was borrowed, I don't have it anymore. I later added a sequencer after some technical modifications on the synth.

The situation is, I stopped making reasons, partly for personal reasons (frustration, etc.) and a technical reason; after changing to win10 I wasn't any longer able to transfer the original analogue sound into mp3 for uploading, as the drivers for the korg were no longer available. I recieved a smaller tascam today and hope I can use it to start again and get my music into the computer again.

So, I have to practise again everything, and find out how to handle the new pices of equipment.
Practising means I might do some soundscapes for webcomics.
You wont get any real music, I think, and I wont really turn the writing into dialogue, it will just be a soundscape inspired by a webcomic for practising. Here is a very early example, as I had only the synth and still used virtual filters and here the trailer for my comic. made years later.

- So, I can't really telll how long it will take before I can upload something,
- I can only work for comics that can inspire me. Best would be pages with some backgrounds, landscapes, scenerys, etc. It wont work with a lot of small panels that consists mainly of closeups of characters faces without background drawing but lots of dialogue.
e.g. something in the style of Moebius would be best, something like Garfield or Peanuts a no-go.

Nevertheless, you may take a chance and link some chosen pages (more then one page, but not a whole comic), but always use spoilers, please. And please no long faces if I choose another webcomic that was linked later.

EDIT:
Done so far:

1. For Marcel/Dear World: Wish I HAd A Theremin
2. For Nooga/ Ignotus: For Ignotus
3. CallMeRocket/ Raleighs Hinterland: Raleigh
4. JammyTheBirb/ Game: Subaqua
5. Kourtney/ Shadestalker: Fits For Kourtney Too
6. Microraptor/ Playground: Playground1
10 days ago, 1:37 AM #2
That sound cool. Alas, not sure if you'd go for my most of mine. However, I'd love to see what you could come up with for Amongst the stars. Or Randomly assembled if you could find the funk in you.
10 days ago, 2:55 AM #3
I don't know if you'd be inspired by parts of mine or not, but it's so far back in pre-production that I haven't much to show you. It takes place in 1957 and that oscilloscope of yours is quite similar to some of the equipment in the comic!
I hope you don't mind that I used my YouTube downloader to add the audio files to my playlist. I like them!
10 days ago, 7:30 AM #4
Marcel:I don't know if you'd be inspired by parts of mine or not, but it's so far back in pre-production that I haven't much to show you. It takes place in 1957 and that oscilloscope of yours is quite similar to some of the equipment in the comic!
I hope you don't mind that I used my YouTube downloader to add the audio files to my playlist. I like them!

So my very first experimenting goes to your comic, I call it "Wish I Had A Theremin". It is short, still no guitar or vocoder yet, just analogue vermona synth. But it's a start, I'm just figuring out how the recording device works.

"Wish I Had A Theremin"
10 days ago, 12:03 PM #5
I like that! It'd fit pretty well with a lot of the scenes.
10 days ago, 2:15 PM #6
the only safe place is the top shelf
Could you do one for Cryptida?
I don't know if the art in my comic is sufficient for inspiring a soundscape, but at least you are familiar enough with it that you don't have to archive binge all 500+ pages beforehand. :-)

Also, if you like, you could (additionally or alternatively) try out doing one for Playground, which I think has an overall more consistent ambience than Cryptida.
10 days ago, 6:52 PM #7
Keep adding, everybody. I wont be able to do a huge amount of request, but everybody has a chance. (To be fair, it is unlikely that stickart, pokemon and such will inspire me.)
9 days ago, 1:36 AM #8
likes your new haircut
Bruh I love stuff like this. Alternate perspectives are rad. Perspectives expressed through music/art/other abstract stuff are super rad. Please do one for Ignotus. I'd absolutely love to see what you come up with!

We've only got like 68 pages at the moment so it's a relatively quick read for the whole archive, but honestly reading Issue 1 (30 pages plus a cover) alone would be more than enough to get a feel for Ignotus' atmosphere if you don't feel like reading everything. Issue 2 pages 25-35 I could also see being cool to work with, but I'm no sound guy lol. Most musical stuff I've ever done is mediocre midis + musescore.
9 days ago, 1:41 AM #9
These are awesome, dude. Really cool vibe that you convey. I don't think either of my comics really aligns too well with the tone you're (excellently) doing, but keep 'em coming for the others, they're really cool.
9 days ago, 7:11 AM #10
I encourage everybody to add, but it is helpful if you highlight a number of pages, something like "page 17-21", because it makes it easier looking for a part I can use.

Merged Doublepost:

Nooga:Bruh I love stuff like this. Alternate perspectives are rad. Perspectives expressed through music/art/other abstract stuff are super rad. Please do one for Ignotus. I'd absolutely love to see what you come up with!

We've only got like 68 pages at the moment so it's a relatively quick read for the whole archive, but honestly reading Issue 1 (30 pages plus a cover) alone would be more than enough to get a feel for Ignotus' atmosphere if you don't feel like reading everything. Issue 2 pages 25-35 I could also see being cool to work with, but I'm no sound guy lol. Most musical stuff I've ever done is mediocre midis + musescore.

Okay, my next song is for Ignotus, page 35 and earlier.
This time I've recorded all tracks simultaneously and transformed them into a wav-file without any editing, so it is quite raw. All instruments are analogue electronics no longer available at the market.

Song is here.

PS: I might still do some others, including at least one for one of the earlier posts, and maybe some new.
9 days ago, 1:06 PM #11
Holy crap, this is awesome! I'm not sure if you'd be inspired by my comic, since Boss Rush puts heavy emphasis on action more than landscapes. If you do find inspiration from my webcomic though, then I wouldn't mind having a theme! Although considering BR's action-emphases, it would be cool if you made a theme for one of the villains. :P
9 days ago, 2:22 PM #12
Feel free to do mine, if you wanna. Page 24-30, a busy town square OR page 58-73, a not-so-pleasant reunion

9 days ago, 2:25 PM #13
You can do any of mine, if you want
9 days ago, 5:30 PM #14
For everybody that posted so far. Doing this takes some time; so it is obvious that I wont be able to do all request, but please keep posting suggestions. If you look at my graphic and acustic work, you'll see I have certain asthetic preferences, that will make some comics more likely to inspire me then others, but that should stop no one from giving it a try.
It is helpful though if you add some suggestions like "Page 23-28, a walk through the forest at night", "Page 72-76, the chase of the runaway truck", "Page 123-126, the summoning of the demon" etc.
9 days ago, 7:00 PM #15
Taking Names & Spitting Images
The only thing about webcomics that breaks my heart is no sound. I twist myself in knots with all the possibilities when I watch film adaptations of graphic novels. Sometimes, I wish I could go back in time and instead of picking up a pencil, I'd pick up an instrument instead. I guess it's not too late!

I would submit my sketch comic Raleigh's Hinterland, chapter 1, pages 8-16: A woman with a fatal head injury tries to force herself back into consciousness from the brink of death. I have zero expectations; just dropping it here in case there's a grain of inspiration in it!

I don't know if there's enough detail here, 'cause it's like - a rough draft. The title page kinda gives a color idea of the mood
9 days ago, 8:13 PM #16
Birb is the Worb
It's not what you offered to do so I don't wanna dump any information on my thing just yet, but woah, these are awesome. 0_0 Wooould you consider doing one for something that isn't a comic? I'm working on a game something like this'd be perfect for.

I'd be happy to treat it as more of a commission situation if need be since you did say 'comics.' Also cool if it's a no.
9 days ago, 8:42 PM #17
JammyTheBirb:It's not what you offered to do so I don't wanna dump any information on my thing just yet, but woah, these are awesome. 0_0 Wooould you consider doing one for something that isn't a comic? I'm working on a game something like this'd be perfect for.

I'd be happy to treat it as more of a commission situation if need be since you did say 'comics.' Also cool if it's a no.

If you have a proposal, just post it, there's nothing to loose.
And for comics, if there are more suggestions then I can do even if I would accept all, I feel less bad to reject anyone (and those who might not get a soundtrack, too.)

Merged Doublepost:

callmerocket:The only thing about webcomics that breaks my heart is no sound. I twist myself in knots with all the possibilities when I watch film adaptations of graphic novels. Sometimes, I wish I could go back in time and instead of picking up a pencil, I'd pick up an instrument instead. I guess it's not too late!

I would submit my sketch comic Raleigh's Hinterland, chapter 1, pages 8-16: A woman with a fatal head injury tries to force herself back into consciousness from the brink of death. I have zero expectations; just dropping it here in case there's a grain of inspiration in it!

I don't know if there's enough detail here, 'cause it's like - a rough draft. The title page kinda gives a color idea of the mood

Well, this is a track I did spontaneously and rather quick, I admit, but I just found the idea intreaging. I wanted to go to bed and thought I could just upload it after doing, but I accidently deleted the tracks somehow but could recover them. but needed about an hour to find out how. So here is a raw track, called Raleigh.
8 days ago, 12:09 AM #18
Taking Names & Spitting Images
Ah!! It's giving me chills!

I'mma draw to this :0

Merged Doublepost:

CRAZY chills. br-r-r-r-r

I'm feeling a jolt of inspiration to draw now, haha omg. Thank you
8 days ago, 12:27 AM #19
likes your new haircut
Bro that song was intense! Nice work :D
8 days ago, 12:50 AM #20
Birb is the Worb
Ok then! I guess I'll submit my game. Specifically, the first level.

In this game, you play as a creature reincarnated through time on a journey to evolve and become a goddess. The complexity of the gameplay increases as you progress, and in the first, most basic level (single cell) you can do nothing but save, or press a single button to multiply.

This stage is intended to be limited, but atmospheric. The placeholder sound I'm using at the moment is a mix of ultrasound noise and some simple video game noises layered over the top, sorta symbolising the underwater beginning of life.

Forum > General discussion > Free webcomic soundtrack
Pages: 1 2