Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > What Is Your Comic's "Pitch?"
Pages: 1 2
"What Is Your Comic's "Pitch?"", 19th Oct 2020, 7:08 PM #1
This is somewhat related to my thread, How Your Story Came About, but I swear this is different. Basically, if I or someone were to ask you what your story is about, what's the interesting/selling point, or why someone should read it, how would you answer? Try to be as concise as possible; maybe on the order of 1 minute. I'll use my story, Demon Hunters, as an example:

There will be people fighting demons and other monsters in a story titled "Demon Hunters." The catch is that my protagonists are the last people you'd choose to be heroes of a story; they're not particularly gifted, lucky, wealthy, poor, popular, well connected, attractive, possessing a good/desirable character, etc. or anything that suggests they're special. In fact, they're painfully average and unassuming people at best. The question is how do average folk become the heroes of the story and also learn how to fight these monsters? Read left to right to find out.

If you have multiple stories, feel free to post on any or all of them in 1 or multiple posts.
19th Oct 2020, 7:20 PM #2
I already do that for my comics here, keep it short and concise. I figure the type of person that would be interested in my comic is either going to be a definitive yes or no based on the short description; I'm kinda shooting for a niche audience. Plus, I'm personally more likely to read a summary if it's short. And most summaries that are long....read basically the same. The same buzz words, convincing us why our main character isn't like other characters/'they lived a normal life until suddenly', etc etc. When I read those kinds of summaries I'm even less inclined to read.

Roar Howl Run
A rabbit is raised by a bear.

A Flightless Bird
A tanuki must stop a witch from eating the heart of his baby siblings.

Doe of Deadwood
A deer is indebted to a demon tree.

The Best of Bad Decisions
A pair of idiot coywolf twins want to become leaders.
19th Oct 2020, 7:40 PM #3
I'm really struggling with mine. I feel like I don't even know where to begin explaining it because the plot shifts gears so much.

I think I need to just write a pitch for each volume and update as needed. It would be much simpler and less spoiler-y.

My bookmark is this but I want it to be more concise:

Mankind is on the brink of extinction and has no place in the universe besides high-risk labor jobs. Terran puts her temper to use as a hired gun. When she is employed by a mysterious parthling seeking to understand humans, she too begins to understand what being human really means
19th Oct 2020, 7:51 PM #4
Future Shock:

D&D collides with Star Trek and gets rekt.
19th Oct 2020, 8:56 PM #5
I'd say I have come a long way from 30 Days of Plotcrafting with my pitches!... I hope.

Splitting Image:

A story about atonement in a caged kingdom, where not all is what it seems. Once an evil Dark Lord, Prince Mortimer was given a second chance, and the sorcerer can change from ex-villainous outcast to something better by uncovering a mysterious threat. Can even black magic be used for good?

TBN GL Comic:
A guardian mage expected her career to be over, until her sacred tree starts to walk and talk. But, without the tree's flowers of the greatest happiness, how can they prove she's still useful? Now, the mage and the dryad must deal with both their feelings, and an ever looming deadline.

(I've honestly let go of the fantasy high school story for now, it doesn't feel like the right place for those characters)
19th Oct 2020, 9:04 PM #6
Venture Capitalist
-
19th Oct 2020, 9:16 PM #7
Birb is the Worb
The Back o' Beyond is about gay pirates and the main characters are absolute dorks.
19th Oct 2020, 10:12 PM #8
Steamroller Man is a tongue-in-cheek superhero comedy in the vein of The Tick, Venture Bros. and the 1960s Batman TV show! A somewhat oblivious superhero with a huge head often does more harm than good.
20th Oct 2020, 2:24 PM #9
the only safe place is the top shelf
Cryptida is about a group of academics who are studying cryptids.
During their world-spanning adventures, they come across many weird creatures plus a lot of supernatural as well as high tech stuff!

Playground is about toy company CEO Bettina Timmy having an adventure in Monaco, full of danger, intrigue, and sinister business deals...
20th Oct 2020, 6:43 PM #10
๐Ÿฅ” Potato Parttaker ๐Ÿฅ”
My 'elevator hook' used to be longer, but I trimmed it since it felt...dragged down and read like a lot of other descriptions when it was left as it was. So I stick to a hook rather than a 'pitch' I guess. I'm not inclined to read very long descriptions either since they tend to be kind of samey. I agree with Songdog by and large. :') ha.

Now Hiring
A caustic crime lord with old debts and an alien migrant meet at the crossroads of danger and opportunity. Nothing good follows.
20th Oct 2020, 6:50 PM #11
"The Dragon Chapel" is a fantasy adventure story with a spin, that the main character, through sheer force of goodwill and luck, manages to deliver a dragon egg across a dangerous continent. Decent artwork, likeable characters and easy to follow story!

"Strike Pup" is about a former fashion model, turned martial artist who fights for a living and attempts to rekindle her passion for a former love interest! Seinen-type comic for the older male/female demographic and contains a strong female lead.
20th Oct 2020, 7:52 PM #12
There is a knight doing stuff and I don't know anymore what's happening, I just draw stuff.
20th Oct 2020, 10:30 PM #13
There is a knight doing stuff and I don't know anymore what's happening, I just draw stuff.

Pure genius. Shut up and take my money
20th Oct 2020, 11:18 PM #14
Ok, so with Shadestalker, it's pretty simple. A trans woman finds herself under attack by mysterious demons from another planet, but then also finds herself under attack by government agents who happen to have been waging a secret war against the demonic invaders for years. The demons themselves would have easily wiped the floor with humanity by now were it not for their own incessant infighting. Caught up in the middle and just wanting to survive, our protagonist must use a combination of martial arts and witchcraft taught to her by her great-grandmother to fend off both vile forces. It's a three-way war between demons, government agents, and transgender goth gurl. Oh, and the trans woman also has a male bff who may or may not become her lover down the road.
21st Oct 2020, 12:07 AM #15
I usually just tell people it's

Dinosaurs ... in ... SPAAAAAACE!

But that might need some work. I'm realizing not everyone is as fascinated by dinosaurs or space as I am, which I don't understand because dinosaurs? Space? So cool!
21st Oct 2020, 12:22 AM #16
aliens battle for clout

BISA Voting 16 Google Forms
BISA Voting 16 Youtube
21st Oct 2020, 1:47 AM #17
Anamnesis
De/reconstructing the isekai genre with a PMD backdrop.

Good Ominous Hams
Steamed Hams but it's Good Omens.

Ode to the Grosbeak
Derpy birb poetry.

Welcome to the Thoracic Existence
An illustrated poem about self inflicted mental abuse in enjoying toxic online drama.
21st Oct 2020, 2:03 AM #18
It's set in a city where the streets constantly change position on their own. The four main characters are in charge of mapping the city (as much as is possible under the circumstances).
21st Oct 2020, 2:44 AM #19
Luna's Cross:
It's 1922 in an alternate history where giant mechsuits were used in World War 1. A German mecha pilot (with a troubled past) goes along with a mercenary company on a trip from Cairo to a town in Libya, with a mission that sees them involved in a conflict between rival tribes of Bedouins, as well as the military forces of Fascist Italy. An action adventure war story inspired by Lawrence of Arabia, Indiana Jones, Firefly, and Mobile Suit Gundam.

That's what the like, Netflix summary would be.
21st Oct 2020, 4:00 AM #20
My tagline says it:
Werewolves hang out and have pizza just like everyone else.

Otherwise, simply:
Welcome to Wolverton, the werewolf town.