Forum > Shameless Advertisement > Promote SOMEBODY ELSE'S Comic!
Pages: 1 2 3
"Promote SOMEBODY ELSE'S Comic!", 31st Oct 2020, 2:43 AM #1
-3-

Some folks aren't comfortable getting up and talking about their own works. Other folks just like to share cool things they find. Why don't we let this thread serve them both, along with any other interested folks.
(There may already be a thread like this elsewhere, but i didn't spot it.)

So, to start things off, here's a new comic on ComicFury i encountered today:

Remnants: Obsidian Vale
I'm still sorting out what's going on with the framing sequence. The main story is what caught my attention. It takes place back in 1918, during the last Pandemic in the USA. It's a quiet strip with a slow build, but the combination of strangeness of the world during the Flu pandemic and how they coped, contrasted with the familiarity of how things have become now with the trump flu raging unrestrained works well for me.
The artwork is nice and clean, with a marked ShoJo influence that seems to suit the story well. All too often i find myself nodding along with the familiar little things - like forgetting that people can't see me smile at them when i have a mask on. (Yes, i do, on rare occasion, leave the Hermit Cave and go out among the humans.) Or that empty feeling when plans are suddenly mooted by the losses of the flu.

I've only read Chapter One so far. It's new - only a week old, but there's already 3 chapters totalling nearly 80 pages.

I think i'm gonna go read some more.

What are YOU reading?
31st Oct 2020, 3:04 AM #2
Venture Capitalist
These are my partners in crime, the fellow creators who keep me striving long after I wanna quit. Both are long runners with thick archives--Stilldown goes way back to being a veteran of Webcomic Underdogs (a discussion group from a while ago). Both are sure to be around years after the latest flash in the pan bails for reasons. Read their stuff:

Cryptida by Microraptor. Indiana Jones meets Jurassic Park is the fastest way I can describe this.

Theater of the Bloody Tongue and Ariane's Private Place by Stilldown. The cross-dimensional adventures of a name droppin' pill poppin' doom witch!
31st Oct 2020, 4:43 AM #3
I don't normally read lewd comics but I found The Devil in Angel Classroom a good experience. The characters are fun to observe and it's just plain fun to read, really.
31st Oct 2020, 5:21 AM #4
I have a lot of these to do. There are so many good comics on this site!

I'll start with Loud Era by mitchellbravo

It's more than a webcomic, it's an event! Slice-of-life historical fiction with a strong set of characters, exquisitely rendered. Its greatest lesson is that those people in the fading photos of a dog-eared album from a century past weren't just people living in some limbo within their frames, existing to set the stage for us, here, now- they were alive and vital on their own stage, and made their history and lived and loved and passed on, while passing their stories on.

Loud Era is well-researched, entertaining, funny, sometimes heartbreaking, and completely unique. I can't recommend it enough.

And yes, I still owe mitchellbravo a formal review. It's just so hard to put into words, because I freaking love this comic, and sometimes words are really inadequate.
31st Oct 2020, 5:54 AM #5
🚿
I was involved in a few review threads a while back and ended up subscribing to a handful of them.

The Caretaker: A guy desperate for money accepts a life-threatening job housesitting a mansion full of dangerous cryptids. Darn scary monster designs and creepy atmosphere.

Untitled Brick Comic: A Lego comic following the life of an aspiring adventurer, along with some other ongoing storylines. Really good, robust set design, charming characters, and fun jokes.

Vápnthjófr Saga: A historical Norse fiction with anthro characters facing the brink of war. Very nicely-rendered art, realistic and well-researched writing, and compelling to read.

Krazy Noodle Massacre
: A nosy couple decide to start stalking the local nutcase. Really stylized art with a 90s vibe and wacky characters that are also very genuine.

Angels of the Fallen: Slow-burn fantasy/drama dealing with world-shaking, ancient threats amid personal tragedies and interpersonal conflict. Beautiful watercolor art in later pages and compelling characters.

Also, I second Firefly Jelly's recommendation of Loud Era. It's everything he described, but it also has great artwork with a unique style and the story is in a constant state of Wait, I Want To Know What Happens Next!.

*edit* I also wanted to add NIL; Canticum Bellum to my list, but for some reason it blinked out of existence on CF when I tried to find it yesterday. But looks like it's back. It's a surreal action/sci fi featuring a psychic still trying to grasp his powers who joins a small group with reality redefining powers of their own. Deep psychological themes and powerful, atmospheric art.
31st Oct 2020, 6:09 AM #6
-3-

Glad to see others thought this might be a good idea, too.

I just started reading Loud Era this week. I almost mentioned it in the quick summary above for Remnants: Obsidian Vale, because of how both are well set in their historical period.

I'll also add a recommendation there.
31st Oct 2020, 10:52 AM #7
I don't read a lot of comics here but I'd like to promote Blunderland (Mature audiences only)

I find it a very interesting take on classic fairytales, stories, and general ideas. There is adult stuff in it (nudity, spanking, ect.) so make sure you are braced for it! There is also a good plot and story going on in the background. It's worth reading through the archives and seeing where the story takes you.
31st Oct 2020, 12:15 PM #8
Wow, thanks Firefly, Mela, and -3- for the shout outs!! Reading that really warmed my heart just now, I'm so happy you appreciate what I'm making!

I have to pay the pird piprr* with some recs of my own, would like to do it when I have computer access so I can link more easily.

*leaving weird typo,, i guess this is the app the piper uses to get gigs?
31st Oct 2020, 3:08 PM #9
the only safe place is the top shelf
Lirvilas, thanks for the recommendation!
Check out his comic Grinder$, everyone!
It's about the struggles of sexy small-town saleswoman Donna Panks in the modern job world - and it's the proverbial tip of the iceberg, due to it being the most recent part of the very expansive and exciting "Let It Ride"-verse!

My second recommendation is KICKS by Taily, a very funny slice-of-life comic about the all the wacky hijinks that a group of cartoon animals in the '60s get into!

And last but not least, I recommend Nearly Home by gideonland, an adventure comic taking place in a high fantasy version of Africa - a rather rare setting!
31st Oct 2020, 4:03 PM #10
My Pet Succubus is pretty good. Its about a petite succubus summoned by a doofy sorceress. What makes it so funny to me is that Giselle is TERRIBLE at being a succubus. For instance, she won't sleep with anyone, because she believes in abstinence until marriage.
31st Oct 2020, 4:55 PM #11
Since Vápnthjófr Saga was recommended already (seconding that one btw), I'll rec OmniPresence,Chimeran Legends and The Emergency Coven, all great comics by really cool people!
31st Oct 2020, 5:18 PM #12
Easy done, my fave webcomic is hosted here! Nite Stick is a comic about an ordinary guy trying to make it as a hero in an extraordinary world! Michael's art mashes perfectly with this comedy tale. I'm always inspired when seeing works I know I find difficult to achieve myself, and comedy shorts don't come easily to me, and I'm in awe of what Nite Stick achieves with this.
31st Oct 2020, 5:26 PM #13
Got a couple I can recommend here :)

Lectro - Pretty funny in my opinion, but it's keeping me interested in what might happen next regarding the alien arc as I'll put it.

Inexplicable Adventures of Bob - Admittedly read this quite a lot even before it turned up on ComicFury, quite a nice read :)

Professor Amazing and the Incredible Golden Fox - Read this one quite a bit as well even before joining CF :D

Mutant Elf - This one I can detail quite a bit, I had no idea about this on CF until I saw it, and when I read through it I basically had to keep track of it :D

Drachronon - Another one I had no idea about until I saw it, and not regretting keeping track of it :)

To the people that own these comics, keep up the work! :D
31st Oct 2020, 5:32 PM #14
Here I Lie Awake - So far, reading this comic feels like watching one of those trippy, dark (but not edgy) music videos. Full of mood and all the right vibes, without fully making sense. Perhaps I will find out what's going on as the story unfolds? But even if I don't, it's worth reading; it's an experience. Also, the characters all feel very real.

Barkham Horror - I'm not caught up with this one, admittedly. But what I've read of it is extremely well done. The character design, the intrigue, and oh, how *real* the town feels!

The Tale of a Disappointing Land Shark - So, I didn't grow up in an English-speaking place, and I have difficulty 'getting' a lot of comedy that's written in English. Even when I do get it, it takes an extra second for that lightbulb to turn on, and that really dampens the impact... It's like having someone else explain the joke for you, except that someone else lives in my head.

But something about the humor in TToDLS made it really accessible to me. I think part of it is the creator puts real thought into writing the shark folk as people with their own culture (and with culture comes their own sense of humor). Anyway, that's why I started following it all these years ago. It was accessible to me, and I liked its signature color palette.

Now though, the story is getting to some really good stuff!!! There's the inter-clan(?) conspiracy stuff among the shark folks with a potential war brewing, for people who dig that kind of intrigue. More importantly (for me), there's the interweaving of human family drama, which is already an interesting read on its own -- but then it's seen through the eyes of an immature shark dude from a wholly different culture, which gives it a unique spin! This Is Good Stuff, Man. Check it out if you haven't!
31st Oct 2020, 5:36 PM #15
The Unicorn Coat by Cowsloveclover
This is a delightful take on today's storybook version of fairy tales. It has a lot of humor and charm and its loose-sketch art style is really cute.

Nearly Home by gideonland
This has gorgeous art with incredibly intricate detail and bright designs that fit well to its bold characters. I enjoy its action-adventure narrative.

Those Unknowable by MistakeNPotatoes
This went on indefinite hiatus 18 months ago, which usually translates into "never to return" for webcomics, but I still like Hugh, anyway. I never thought of Lovecraft's Deep Ones as sweet and in need of a hug before.
31st Oct 2020, 6:27 PM #16
Ok I actually wanted to start a thread where I just gush about comics here that I like, adn I still might do that anyway but I'll do a little intro here. Just peeking through my subs here's some that I recommend:

Lines Uncrossed
Gritty, raw, emotional, with really likeable art.

Kicks
see my review here if you like to laugh adn smile you will like this comic!!!!

Dear World
Cool, unique, kind of offbeat sense of humor, a lot of stellar art and rendering techniques.

The Concord Initiative
I wrote a review for this bad boy last November, but it was on SJ and got deleted. I have to go back and start from the beginning and catch back up because I've missed some updates but this is a super fun comic. The art is clean and expressive and I like the way the worldbuilding unfolds in a really natural way. If you like cartoony guys physically bashing each other pls read

The Extras
read my review here. Follow the adventures of a unique group of girls in their magical boarding school. Something mysterious is happening in that thar place.

Here I Lie Awake
read my review here Gorgeous psychological piece with a lot of emotion and heart. Highly recommend.

Colour Theory
I followed this one back on SJ as well as one of the artist's previous comics. The art is crisp, warm, and gorgeous; a little h/c (ok kind of a lot) for those of you who like that in a story. Post-apocalyptic setting with an intimate focus on the two main characters.

imageThe Long Siesta
This one's pretty new. Girl cryogenically freezes herself and wakes up in the future. There's many directions this could go and this might be a little early to make a recommendation but I enjoyed the emotional arc of the beginning so far.

Waste of Time
If you like any ensemble sitcoms or are a fan of the slice-of-life genre, this is a great comic to add to your sub list. Young Brits fighting, falling in love, being goofballs, what's not to like???

Over the Knife
I think anyone who recommended my comic would be well advised to check this one out as well. Historical piece with a really unique and vibrant color scheme and bold expressive lineart. We're only seeing the tip of the iceberg so far so I'm really interested to see where this story will turn.

Far Star Summer School
Fun, quirky story set in the time period of WWI about a school for witches. The art has grown tremendously in the year or so that the comic has been running. The cast is diverse and likeable and you get the sense that there's a lot going on underneath what's been presented so far.

Tusk
Such a fun one. Khthonis is a hot tough orc who doesn't take shit from anybody. The art is stunning and each page is beautifully rendered. Recommend if you like battle comics, fantasy comics, and comics about hot tough ladies beating up people!

Devil's Territory
I gotta get caught up on this one again; I read the first chapter when it came out this summer and there's been more since then. Depictions of mental health/psych issues, drug use, some really heavy stuff emotionally. The two leads are incredibly likeable and I'm excited to catch back up and see what's happened since I left off.

East to West
Cute, fun Wild West story about a Chinese immigrant and the cowboy he reluctantly ends up befriending.

Meddlesome
This story actually just finished, so now's a great time to binge! DEFINITELY NSFW!!! DO NOT OPEN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE SCHLONGS, DONGS, AND BIG BAZONGS! It's a scooby doo parody with meddling college students and no speech imparied dog

Remembrance at the Pond
Anthro comic that explores some heavy topics like racism and the meaning of family as Malcolm and Lance bond following the death of their mutual friend. The art is super cute and I didn't even realize until I just looked back now to make this rec how much it's evolved since the beginning of the comic.

Krazy Noodle Massacre
If you loved the visual aesthetic of shows like Rocko's Modern Life and Courage the Cowardly Dog I think this comic is really going to be your jam. Great spooky vibe with some offbeat characters you're sure to love reading.

Domestic Bastardship
NSFW This will literally take you two seconds to read I don't know why I'm putting it in my recommendations since I think it's abandoned but it's just so weird and delightful to behold if you like weird things????
31st Oct 2020, 6:58 PM #17
OOH okay okay here's some I frickin' adore :D

Court of Roses

A DnD world with a color-spectrum based pantheon with a party made entirely of bards. It's every bit as delightful as it sounds.

The Pale

A very polished, professional level comic. A crime drama with hints at some supernatural happenings, and a main character with a less-heard of disability. Intriguing and engaging.

Nearly Home

The art in this is just... omg it is exquisite. And the story they're building is so intriguing. Definitely give this one a go if you like adventure, magic and action!

Loud Era

There's a damn good reason so many are recommending this comic. Set in the 1920's with a charming cast of characters full of personality. I'm so invested in what happens to these idiots like holy frick dammit.

Vapnthjofr Saga

Another series with gorgeous art. Nordic historical fiction, with anthropomorphic animals. It's like Redwall, if they were vikings. <3
31st Oct 2020, 7:08 PM #18
i got several i'd like to share...

Starchild
Starchild, by Railroadlion. Still early in its run, but what I've seen of it has been excellent so far. Gorgeous black-and-white art, great characters with great designs, and a solid story. Could def use more subscribers! Also if the artist is reading this I just wanna say that your lineart is excellent and pls teach me your ways but no pressure ahahah

Sunnyside
Sunnyside, by TheLazyRipp. Really great comic with art inspired by shonen manga. Essentially about this kid and his friend who have to deal with their budding psychic powers. Oh yeah and it is also SHONEN as fuck and that's great ahahaha.

Song of the Motherland
Song of the Motherland, by calmnichols. A comic I've been following for a while that is replete with great worldbuilding. The art style has this unique, sketchy style that gives the comic an interesting vibe. Definitely give it a read, and also check out the artist's concept art thread: https://comicfury.com/forum/viewthread.php?id=39992&page=1

Grindcore
Grindcore, by punkray. While I'm not into the Splatoon franchise this comic still caught my eye. Quite early into its run, but the art's great and complements the themes very well.

Accidental Elemental
Accidental Elemental, by SequoiaStoryteller. If you like dragons and fantasy then this comic is up your alley! It's about a dragon who lives in a world where magic was repressed due to an ancient tragedy. He's got to deal with controlling his magic powers. Great art and likable characters.

I have lots more to recommend so I might make a second post lol.
31st Oct 2020, 7:27 PM #19
I love this idea for a thread! Here are a couple favorites that could use some more love.

Souls Foreclosed: An Illuminated Apocalypse
Two demons fight for justice in a world where God is gone from his throne and vampires enslave the souls of the dead! Really beautiful unique artwork, the author has a real eye for unique layouts, and every page is packed with cool little details. The two protagonists are also extremely likeable, the comic really takes its time letting you get to know them, and their developing relationship. (CW for Nudity & Sexual Content)

Moby Dick (or, the Webcomic)
Exactly what it says on the tin- a webcomic adaptation of the Herman Melville classic. A hugely ambitious project, clearly! You can really feel the author’s knowledge and passion for the subject matter in every page, as well as their love of the characters. I’ve been especially enjoying their author’s notes, where they talk about all the extra research they’ve done, and the considerations they’ve made in adapting the book for a modern audience.

Cosmic Latte
The philosophical musings of an angel that’s lost their purpose. This one’s just a few pages in, but it’s wasted no time creating intrigue. The character designs are striking and unique, and the artwork is gorgeous. Very excited to see how this one develops!
1st Nov 2020, 4:56 AM #20
Okay, since everyone else is doing multiple entries, I will, too. I have quite a few more to go; please no one be offended at the order I do these in, I'm mainly just scrolling down my subscription list!

Krazy Noodle Massacre by Lutzbug. Deceptively simple, deeply mysterious, wonderfully atmospheric, and quite delightfully strange. Bold, unique art and a story that is... uniquer? It must be experienced to be appreciated. Click that link!

Tangentville by Kid Cthulhu. Cheerful and strange, an interesting mix of well-written, quirky characters in a setting that fits them perfectly. Tackles real-world issues with whimsy; goes on flights of fancy with studious thoughtfulness.

Sheep's Clothing by Owlsy. Here's something you don't see every day: an anthro comic with characters who look like they stepped straight out of a Victorian-era children's storybook. The characters are delightful to read as well as look at, and the storyline draws on classic storybook tropes but with fascinating twists- the arc is currently in the middle of a big mystery, so now's a great time to start.

Enterprise-G by John Waltrip. The brothers Waltrip have a long and storied history in comics, and I'm pleased to see John posting this here. Enterprise-G is a Star Trek story, drawn in the style of the old Trek animated series! The cast and ship are all-new and original, and it's very well-written; Trek fans will find it an absolute delight.