Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Why Do You Love Your Comic?
Pages: 1 2 3
"Why Do You Love Your Comic?", 6th Nov 2020, 1:36 AM #1
Alright, let’s have some self-love around here! Why do you like your comic(s) so much? What keeps you coming back time after time?

For me, I’ve always loved anime and cartoons, and I always wanted to make my own. Since I wasn’t able to be an animator, I decided to do comics instead.

I like Zack Dragonblade because of the art style I developed for it, and I really like the magical world and quirky characters. Designing the demons is also very fun.

I like Erik Grave because the titular character has such a terrifying ability, but also has a timid, harmless personality. I also like the Mediums at Large and how they play off each other, with each one having a distinct personality and humor.

I like Spooky the Littlest Reaper because Spooky is so cute. He’s basically a tiny dog— all bark but no bite. The fact that this only updates one month out of the year is also a fun challenge.

Okay, your turn! Don’t be afraid to brag!
6th Nov 2020, 1:39 AM #2
Venture Capitalist
I love my comic because I can get out all my drama and profanity that in real life would merit swift and destructive consequences.

Edit: also it make me the money
6th Nov 2020, 1:44 AM #3
Ok then! Let’s talk about Over the Line.
Personally, I like cats. So why not make a comic about them? They’re also fun to draw, which keeps me doing art about ‘em.

Also, for me, I really can’t write/draw/read something if it doesn’t have some funny jokes in it from time to time. So I put those in there, and I love them. But it can also be challenging to put in the jokes because I’m laughing so hard I can’t draw... :)
And drawing the different patterns on the cats can be daunting at times, but it can also be cool to experiment with them and see how many different shapes and things I can add to the design.

6th Nov 2020, 1:50 AM #4
I love all of my series because I kinda take a bit of pride in the writing. I love characters that strive for self perfection, it's one of the biggest manga tropes you'll find in all of my works (even in the 3D comics). I'm also quite proud of my art (current not former. Lord in heaven please burn that crap), and I especially appreciate my subscribers who take time out of thier day to read my stuff and comment.

The only thing I really hate about my comic is how little I update either of them. I have no idea why it takes me so long to do a page. Even with my 3D comics like Bazooka girl, the current page is only about 35 percent done. I really, REALLY regret not having a buffer or uploading the comics once I finished all of the artwork for an arc. But that's all I got atm :P
6th Nov 2020, 2:06 AM #5
From a meta perspective it's just a really healthy way for me to exercise and manage the creative part of my brain, which left to its own devices fixates unhealthily on real people I know and is responsible for the vast majority of my periods of anxiety.

Specific to the comic, why I haven't just given up and moved on to a new story by now so I could stop having to draw the miserable 1910s women's fashions is I'm really just in love with my cast so much. I started developing these characters about 15 or 16 years ago when I was still in hs. They've evolved so much since then and feel very comfortable and familiar, like daydreaming about what they're going to get up to next just seems to pet my brain like a cat, it's somehow very calming and stimulating and pleasing to engage in.

I like drawing them because I like being able to depict *exactly* what my brain is envisioning- I have a lot of fun writing prose, but I like the visual control of drawing for the purposes of this story. I also like drawing them because I've grown embarrassingly attracted to all my male and some of my female mains oops
6th Nov 2020, 2:07 AM #6
Environment Knight
I love the insane real-world happenings my comic has precipitated for me!
I have made some very risk-tolerant decisions because of this comic!! I have met a lot of people and made a lot of friendships, some of which have been among the closest friendships of my life, one of which ended with me going to the police! I've boarded multiple flights to distant cities! I've seen therapists! I've sustained various novel and highly specific injuries as a result of drawing!

This stuff spices up my life, even when some of it is unpleasant in the moment, and it's incredible that any of it has happened!
6th Nov 2020, 2:24 AM #7
There are two big reasons I love Tangetville.

Firstly, it gives me a sense of accomplishment by giving a home to all my orphaned comic characters (from 20+ years of comics that never got off the ground). I get to be true to the characters as I created them and explored a lot of themes that I normally would have steered away from if I intended to try to find a publisher.

Secondly, I love my readers. They get my characters and my warped sense of humor. They're truly invested in the stories and especially the development of the characters. I have some readers who start over from page one and re-read the all 1300+ pages (I know this because they're leaving new comments about things they never noticed before). My readers always pick me when I'm blue, which has been a lot this horrid year.

I love 28mm for similar reasons, but it has the extra bonus of me being able to do something with my miniature hobby. I also get the added joy from the reactions I get from my fellow gators when I make miniatures of their OC's.

6th Nov 2020, 2:50 AM #8
Dude, those miniatures are awsome! I always thought they were pre made, I had no idea you made them yourself!!
6th Nov 2020, 3:00 AM #9
^^ To be fair, I take existing models and kitbash/modify as needed, then paint them.
Occasionally, I get Mad Robot Miniatures to 3D sculpt models based on my drawings ^_^

6th Nov 2020, 3:23 AM #10
What a sucker
So, is there a Buck Prime miniature out there?

I love the LECTRO comic because it's the center of my fictional universe. Finding a place for it was also what led me to ComicFury, so that's a good thing, too.

Pine Hill Creature Feature is cool because I get to think about horrible, horrible things while writing it. Mainly monsters, but also weapons.
6th Nov 2020, 4:05 AM #11
Long story short: There's just something good and satisfying about regurgitating my ideas physically on paper instead of keeping them in my head.
6th Nov 2020, 4:40 AM #12
I love my comic because drawing it calms myself and the whole process is appeasing for me. Also I can see I made a huge progress in drawing since the beginning and I grew attached to my OCS. And I always liked parody and fantasy so I started doing it myself.
6th Nov 2020, 5:35 AM #13
I love my comic mostly because of the characters. I've always been the type of person who was constantly making characters and giving them stories, so really the characters in my comic are what makes me love working on it in any aspect.

In fact, my entire comic was created by one character! He has yet to be properly introduced, but Enoch is literally the reason I am writing this right now lmao. I was literally just doodling, and made this little concept of a demon character who I loved enough to make an entire backstory for! Then I decided to give him a little family as a joke, and ended up liking his daughter (Adam) enough that I made an entire comic about her. I was originally gonna make this series about Enoch but I decided Adam would be a more interesting character to focus the story on.
6th Nov 2020, 9:00 AM #14
I love campy stuff, combined with dark humor. And of of course cool stunt scenes!
6th Nov 2020, 9:09 AM #15
For Almighty Protectors, it has characters whose initial creation goes back to 4th grade, it's in my favorite genre ever, and involves alternate universes, which is another thing I enjoy.

Now, if I actually had some readers active in the comments, that would be even better, but I guess I'm doomed to have a quite unseen comic.
6th Nov 2020, 10:51 AM #16
I love my comic because it's mine!

I'm awesome! My comic is awesome!

It's awesomeness all around.
6th Nov 2020, 11:09 AM #17
marcorossi:I love my comic because it's mine!

Same!

I know if you look at my comic it's only like 10 pages right now, but my characters have been around for a REALLY long time. Like 20 years! I was fine with just imagining them in my head up until 6 or 7 years ago, when I began trying to write them a story. It's taken me a long time to settle on one, and they still exist in a different world in my head x)

It's me, it's mine, it's home. When I'm miserable or bored, any time, any where, my mind can wander to the story. No matter how good or how bad things get, it is there. I like that it's beginning to exist outside of me now.
6th Nov 2020, 11:49 AM #18
Hmmmmm... Well, it's character and story-driven, and it puts a cast of kids in situations that would be harder on adults because of how calcified our grip on what we understand as reality becomes the older we get. I like that about it. It's vibrant and the characters feel like living, breathing people. There's a whole world of events that have led up to the moment of the story, and everything is slowly being pieced together.

I really do feel like it's a strong story with characters that you care deeply about. It gets pretty dark sometimes, dealing with a lot of psychology and philosophy, but it never loses its heart. That's probably my favorite thing.

6th Nov 2020, 1:13 PM #19
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
How could I not? Have you read this thing? It's a least a 4 out of 10.

I love it because it's really helping my art and I get a small sense of accomplishment when i have some proof that a person read it.
6th Nov 2020, 2:05 PM #20
I make it very personal to me.

I believe it has a soul, that comes from me (as a creator). As the father/mother of this child, I believe in its real potential, but it can't go by itself without me. The story is waiting to be written/drawn and I need to keep it going in order to make it WHOLE-- And when the story comes to an end... it's graduation day!

That's why i love my child(comic).
Pages: 1 2 3