Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Movies that Didn't Hold up so Well?
Pages: 1 2
"Movies that Didn't Hold up so Well?", Two weeks ago, 1:11 AM #1
I got all nostalgic again u guys.

What are some movies that you were really into when they came out but now seem really bad?

I'm gonna start with Signs. This movie actually seemed pretty creepy to me when it came out but now it's a comedy.

Like check out this scene:

I start lose it when he screams ¡vamonos! at the TV and then his reaction the alien I'm on the floor laughing.
Why did I ever take that seriously? The alien literally strikes a pose then saunters off like he's on the runway I'm deedddddd
Two weeks ago, 3:25 AM #2
One movie that scared me when I was young was The Screaming Skull. It's hilarious now. The movie is so cheap the story takes place before the furniture is delivered. One shot of the skull in a cupboard is actually a shot of it on the front step that appears later on. The ghost when it shows does a ridiculous dance down a garden path to the house. Doesn't she remember she was supposed to have been killed slipping on that path?

Two weeks ago, 8:28 AM #3
Pagemaster and Quest for Camelot.

Yeah, as much as I love and miss 90's fluidly animated stuff (it did kinda got back on Netflix, like Green Eggs and Ham). These are failed attempts at besting "Didney". And poor Macaulay, he couldn't catch a break...
13 days ago, 2:33 AM #4
Can't watch Lawnmower Man without my eyes bleeding. I remember thinking it was so cool when I was a kid. Now.....uhhh....

Also, in the context of social issues, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective aged TERRIBLY. Oddly, it's sequel, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls aged much better, despite being a minefield of what would be bad taste jokes by today's standards, IMO.
13 days ago, 2:54 AM #5
Keeps with the times
This is going to be a bit controversial: Back to the Future

When you realize Marty is trying to set history back the way it was. He's essentially condemning his mother to a loveless marriage to a useless man-child just to protect his own existence.
13 days ago, 2:54 AM #6
I first saw the original Evil Dead with my boyfriend in his mom's darkened basement on Halloween after I had very long, very busy shift at Wendy's. The stress of the day must've gotten to me, because that movie actually scared me a good bit. A couple years later, I watched it during daylight during a fairly chill Halloween and thought "...man, this really isn't as scary as I rememeber". Ambiance and stress changes things a lot, huh?
13 days ago, 4:11 AM #7
Pretty much any Adam Sandler/Rob Schneider film. How I ever thought either of those douchebags were funny when I was little, I'll never know.
13 days ago, 4:34 AM #8
The Breakfast Club. I used to love it when I was younger and some parts of it are still okay or even iconic, but overall it doesn't hold up super well. Definitely a product of its time. Especially Claire and Bender's relationship comes off as super creepy to me now.
13 days ago, 4:38 AM #9
GeeTee:Can't watch Lawnmower Man without my eyes bleeding. I remember thinking it was so cool when I was a kid. Now.....uhhh....

Video

Also, in the context of social issues, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective aged TERRIBLY. Oddly, it's sequel, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls aged much better, despite being a minefield of what would be bad taste jokes by today's standards, IMO.

THIS HAD ME ROLLING.

Jay042:This is going to be a bit controversial: Back to the Future

When you realize Marty is trying to set history back the way it was. He's essentially condemning his mother to a loveless marriage to a useless man-child just to protect his own existence.

To be fair I don't think Marty really knew what was going on with his parents, he never had the life experience to see them as complex human beings with the capability of being more than who they already were. It was just, "mom and dad and they kinda suck but you love them coz they're your parents." I'd be more concerned if he went back and tried to change them. It'd be like the Mommy Market all over again. shiver Plus, I don't think a lot of people, especially kiddos who would just forgo their entire existence just because they think their parents would be better off separate. That's pretty dark.

Not that I find the movies entirely without criticism when Biff is hanging around? He literally molested and attempted to rape your wife back in high school..? Plus the way they just dumped Jenifer in the second movie is complete bullshit. You wrote her into the car and didn't realize what you had done- sure. But improvise and write her a god damn role.

Also talking about controversial takes-

Tf is up with this scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

I still like this movie but these aliens are supposed to be benevolent neighbors who wish to make contact....
I'm sorry- even if they brought my kiddo back dressed in heavenly light someone is getting a serious bitch slap.

"Undead and Artificial Intelligence", 13 days ago, 6:00 AM #10
(Spoilered for my long-windedness and bitter Nerd Rage.)

ANY zombie movie.
Yes, even Night Of The Living Dead.

Also, The Matrix!

13 days ago, 10:56 AM #11
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
It's not like a zombie-infested world is gonna get BETTER

Dude, bro man...I'm at a loss for words. I love you but I had no idea we were so diametrically opposed.

Just because there's a lot of zombie stuff doesn't mean it's bad. And what's this about no cure or victory over the zombies? Who wrote that rule?

And dissing the variety of zombie stuff! You're saying warm bodies wasn't an interesting laugh?

As I get closer to the end of the restless dead I worry that some of those zombie movies get closer and closer to the ending I was going for. I'm goi g to look like I ripped off the cured or something now :(

Anyway. There's plenty of them around with a happy or bittersweet ending and that's what I'm going for.

AND THE MATRIX
God dude. You're really going to say the matrix doesn't hold up? I wouldn't mind too much if the things you point out as plot holes were the sensible ones: ie, humans don't produce power. Even if they did why not keep them in a vegetated state so they don't rebel...even if you did, why not breed cows or something instead because they are bigger and dumber.

But, that's all suspension of disbelief. You've got to take the world of the matrix as described like an anime. Sure if you apply real world logic it doesn't hold up, but like Hitchkock said, if they just call the cops right away there's no story.

Please, just don't tell me you hate terminator.
13 days ago, 12:11 PM #12
Zombie movies and the Matrix have something in common in that they're both allegories for something else. The Matrix is said to be about transgender experience on some level. Arguably the Jesus story is an allegory for something too. I don't know if it's possible or practical to make an allegory that makes sense at face value because they usually appeal to some mythological or primal dreamlike function in the mind of youth, and deeper allegorical interpretations are available to those willing to study.

The Walking Dead tv series is hard for me to unpack allegorically and I wonder if we're meant to take it at face value as more of a character driven political drama in a horror setting. It's declining in popularity but I guess some hardcore survivalist fans like it for the guns and the gun lobby loves that (gun sales rising with Covid-19)--so much for anticonsumerist satire (like in Dawn of the Dead). The zombies concept seems unrealistic to me at face value in this show, so they serve as dehumanized targets to shoot vicariously. (I stopped watching after Negan got captured. it felt like a satisfying conclusion at the time)

Star Wars hasn't held up to my childhood memory of it but while some parts are bad like Leia with a British accent, it's still a fun ride.
13 days ago, 1:11 PM #13
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
The Letter M:And dissing the variety of zombie stuff! You're saying warm bodies wasn't an interesting laugh?

i love that the movie adapted a single storyline from the book and then just tossed out everything that was interesting or unique.

the original IT adaptation doesnt hold up at all. i know a lot of people cite it as a childhood trauma that inspired a fear of clowns, but it's about as far from scary as you can get. horror in general doesn't age well.

also, can i just say, Ginger Snaps freaked me out when i was young, but watching it as an adult makes me feel like im gonna be put on some FBI watchlist?
13 days ago, 1:18 PM #14
Almost every B rated movie ever made.
13 days ago, 1:34 PM #15
I love transformers (you can already see where this is going). But just because I love transformers does not mean I will automatically love a piece of Transformers media. Case in point, Micheal Bay's Transformers, or as we like to call it, Bayformers.

Bayformers rant here
13 days ago, 5:04 PM #16
The Rankin/Bass animated Hobbit and Return of the King films.
As a kid I didn't understand what I was missing, but they basically tried to cram several novels worth of content into just shy of three hours of screen time. You know, the exact opposite of what Peter Jackson ended up doing.
The art direction is great, as its from the same studio that brought us "The Last Unicorn" but the pacing is terrible, as are a lot of the songs they shoehorned in.
13 days ago, 7:17 PM #17
God I still love the Rankin Bass Hobbit movie, it's an absolute mess but it's also one of those films that's (imo) worth watching anyway because the art is actually really nice and you can really feel the influence and connection it has to some of the founding members of Studio Ghibli.

I used to watch that Thomas the Tank Engine live action movie a lot as a little kid. It's just straight up bizarre and stars Alec Baldwin and Mara Wilson. I used to have a toy version of the maroon girl train.. I do think her design is cute at least, but that movie feels like a fever dream.

13 days ago, 8:56 PM #18
The movie that really disappointed me was Jingle All the Way because when you stop and think about it, the premise is actually smart. It's a satire on the materialistic side of Christmas and how violent and vile some people can get when shopping for gifts for their kids like they're on some kind of violent game show. However, the movie had four glaring problems that wrecked it completely;

1- Arnold Schwarzenegger was totally the wrong actor to lead in this movie. A better fit would have been Chevy Chase, Tim Allen or maybe even Tom Hanks (if they were going for a straight man lead). I love Arnold in comedy movies, but not when he's playing an every man. It's just not him.

2- The ending was actually pretty dumb. I don't mind the parade and such, but having the big standoff and everything was just too much and made the movie go from over the top good clean fun to silliness that got annoying.

3- It pains me to say this because I have a son, but the kid in the movie was absolutely not likeable at all. He came across as a brat who wanted it all. I can understand a kid wanting his dad around and his favourite toy. That's human, but I wound think that at the end, the kid would stop caring about the toy altogether after missing his dad so much.

4- This brings me to the final point, the kid should not have gotten the toy in the end and everyone is ok with it. It is not uncommon for over the top movies to have deep hidden meanings or deep endings. That's part of their charm. Having the kid not get the action figure and being ok with it as long as he had a Christmas where his dad was around would have been better. Plus, how many of us as kids didn't get everything we wanted for Christmas, but still had a great day? I mean, what's the point of telling people how stupid competitive Christmas shopping is if you don't show the reality of what happens at the end?

PS: Sorry if I sound harsher than usual. I just really didn't like this movie at all and I was hoping it would at least be fun because the premise did sound like fun.
13 days ago, 9:07 PM #19
"you should re watch some of his old stuff, they all aged terribly (except the original Clerks)"

Me: Ok *watches Clerks*

"let me placate your ego-you are the inspiration for this bold and momentous decision, for which I'll probably be ostracized at both school and home."

Clerks is still pretty cool if you watch it as an arthouse film and not a comedy (and skip the cancer merchant bullshit).
13 days ago, 9:26 PM #20
The long-forgotten mockumentary The Compleat Al, but not for the reasons you would think. I mostly find it amusing about how different Weird Al is now compared to the 80s', and the movie is still a interesting look at the culture at the time.

On a less positive note, the Drawn Together movie. I hated that movie when I watched it as a 13 year old due to how disgusting it was in my eyes, even for my Newgrounds-frequenting grossout-humor-loving ass at the time. I still hate it now not only for how my tastes have changed, but for how cheap the production value is and how shallow and disgusting the jokes and references are.