Forum > General discussion > YouTube Monetizing all Videos
Pages: 1 2
"YouTube Monetizing all Videos", 8 days ago, 10:22 PM #1
Having moral dilemmas regarding YouTube (not for the first time).

One on hand, I appreciate that it's their platform, and people are allowed to upload videos for free.

On the other hand, they are now such slaves to Google Adsense they are doing tons of things I consider unethical. Such as, passing the buck to creators after the FCC sued them for monetizing and sharing children's information. Rather than them taking the blame for not better straining out kids and they themselves profiting off this content (and for promoting pedo rings, albeit accidentally), they essentially pushed all the costs onto creators, including those who weren't necessarily creating for kids.

On another hand, I don't know how true it is, but due to their monetization concerns, many suspect that their videos are either censored or not shown in the algorithm due to content. I haven't done any research on this, because I don't care about making money (at least, not from ads. I want to make money, but I'd rather it be from donations and sh*t that's not mandatory). I do my videos for my patrons, readers, and myself. Even if I had enough subscribers and view time, I don't want to be influenced or beholden to some company for ad revenue. That's part of why I want to be self employed.

Now on yet another hand (somebody call Goro, we're gonna need all his arms to hold these issues), after making it so that channels could only get ad revenue with so many subscribers and so many watched hours, they are now going to automatically put ads on whatever video they want that is deemed "brand friendly." Meaning, even if you decided to do your videos for free, or if you haven't reached their required threshold, they can still put ads on your videos (and you have no say in what videos or what ads: ads can be political in nature), and you will not get paid for them. There's confusion over who will get royalties and who won't: I think it's only the people who already qualify for monetization. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, so if they want to make money off all videos, fine, whatever. I get why they want to make money, and they are offering a "free" service. I could get behind this. But they should not have changed their policy to require a certain threshold before the creator could earn money or royalties, if they plan to make money off all content. If they came out and said they were going to instate a minimum for cashing out, and anyone effected by mandatory ads will get a small portion, that would be one thing.

But that's not seemingly the case. Having ads on all videos, and making it so that smaller creators can't get paid for that, is wrong, in my opinion.

This p*sses me off. I respect their right to make money, but I do not agree with having no say in what ads are shown either. There are many companies and products that I would not approve of being advertised on my videos (Amazon, Tyson, and Political ads to name a few). I also object to them making this change, and not giving us an option to opt out of ads. I do not like that they will be making money off other's time and content, but not paying the creator for it. That just doesn't sit right with me.

I would simply leave their platform if they didn't completely dominate the playing field. I also resent like hell that if I go to another platform, I may be associated with some very unsavory people of whom I do not respect either their content nor their actions.

It's frustrating. I like making videos, but I don't want my content to be monetized, even if I were to reach their requirements. I know I am probably not going to get ads, because I cuss like a sailor and make inappropriate comments (I would rather have a modicum of more class, but I don't want to be associated with a "kids" channel just because I draw comics), but at the same time, I don't think it's right to force ads onto creators who don't want their content interrupted by advertisements. It wasn't this way when I signed up for YouTube, and these changes have been implemented without anyone's say. It is their company, but they do also make money off people creating content.

I also hate Adsense. I am having an awful experience with them, and cannot get their "help center" to answer any questions I have. You can't talk to a human. There is no customer service. And they are such a large company, someone as small as me has no chance of being heard or addressed. This whole situation is distressing.

I am very salty. I really am ticked at how much power our country gives individual companies, and the rest of the county is oblivious as to WHY this is bad. Whatever happened to there being healthy competition? These companies are so big, no one can compete, and here are small creators stuck between choosing total oblivion, and compromising themselves for that carrot on stick of "you may be able to earn income."

I'm sorry, I'm just really frustrated. YouTube started as such a fun, great idea. But it's all about making money now, and as such, it's ruined much of the platform.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong? Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

This is specifically the e-mail I received, for reference (I put it down here, so it's less confusing when you open the spoiler):
8 days ago, 10:40 PM #2
I'm getting ticked off at their midroll ads. I think there's an algorithm that checks for a black frame, and tries to stick them there, but when it doesn't find them, it sticks them in the most awkward place.

Luke: I'll never join you! You killed my father!

Vader: No Luke, *I*

Ad: BUY MCDONALDS FRIES!

Vader: am your father!

So many content creators carefully craft their content and even make room for midroll ads at appropriate spots in the video, but apparently that's not enough. I know for a fact YouTube adds in even more ads than the creators intended.
8 days ago, 10:44 PM #3
That's another thing I didn't even think of (since I previously didn't have ads. I probably still won't, but I have some videos that aren't inappropriate).

My partner just found this article from Forbs. Once again proving this all has to do with Google Adsense and monetization (because of course).

I just...I just can't.

I just hate the idea of how they are controlled by where the money is. I understand as a business, they must think about how to keep making money, but because they put most/all their eggs into one basket, Google Adsense, they have painted themselves into a corner and are completely beholden to Adsense.

I think someone needs to create a competitor to Adsense, and YouTube should give the competitor's some advertising as a way to FORCE Adsense to be somewhat competitive.

Funny side note: Comic Fury doesn't recognize "Adsnese," as a word, and the spellcheck suggests "saddness" as a correction. It's a happy accident, but so appropriate XD
8 days ago, 11:52 PM #4
The government has launched an historic antitrust lawsuit against Google so let's see what happens. It'll take many months but in the meantime there's several alternatives to YT, and even Facebook hosts video now.

https://alternativeto.net/software/youtube/
One week ago, 12:04 AM #5
Well, that's at least some good news. Thanks for sharing that link, too! I think I'll look into it.

I guess I'll sit tight now, and just let people know I don't endorse whatever ads are showing (if any) on my videos.
One week ago, 12:05 AM #6
I can't remember the last time I saw a youtube ad honestly.
One week ago, 12:16 AM #7
Youtube: Monetizes everyones videos

My Adblocker:

One week ago, 12:32 AM #8
It's really getting ridiculous with ads on youtube. I almost see just as many ads in my feed as I see videos. I don't think all the ads are checked for legitimacy or checked if they're appropriate before they send them out either. It's irresponsible.
And to think I whined back when they started using ads at the end of videos instead of only at the beginning.

---
One week ago, 1:40 AM #9
Birb is the Worb
I used to feel 0 guilt for having an adblocker, thanks to the sheer annoyingness of each and every bloody league of legends ad. No, I'm not going to play that shitty game, no matter how many different, carefully-crafted-to-appeal-to-different-audiences ads you show me. All the time. MID SONG.

Now I've been pushed down into feeling -100 guilt.
One week ago, 2:38 AM #10
I caught a quick glance at the changes but I didn't know all that it meant...
That is ridiculous that you can't opt out of having ads! I'm not monetized and it may be a good while until I am.

It makes me want to reconsider how much I pursue YT. I was already on the fence about having advertisements in general.
I just like having a place where I can store my videos and share with other people.
One week ago, 3:45 AM #11
it's pronounced "Kooky"
I know that talk around creators getting to curate the type of ads played on their vids was kicking around for a while. Sadly it doesn't look like youtube will be going that route any time soon.

The sheer ramping up of ads has been surprising with just how fast it's happened. There's also been a lot of creators who were previously demonitized who are now remonitized.

It looks like some sort of springback from the double adpocolypse's of 2018 - 19. Just shovel in as many as they can. Youtube is always operating at a loss but if ad sales were dropping continuiously then that wouln't look so good to google investors I'd think. Maybe Susan was threatened with getting the boot behind the scenes.
One week ago, 4:24 AM #12
iiIIEEEHHEEEIIMM eeeeaaauuu hhYYYAaaaa
I used to plan on organising my Youtube channel so the videos I actually put some efforts are grouped in one list, and the random stuff I wanted to host to post somewhere but isn't content anybody will waste a click on in another. Now the plan changed and I'll leave the poop on Youtube, and move the serious projects on Vimeo. They seem to have a better ethical approach to their services, they might be a little harder to use but at this point I lost any possible respect for Youtube.

I'll have to create my Vimeo account soon, I actually have nice content to post already and it's sitting on my computer unwatched.
One week ago, 4:59 AM #13
@Dodom

Do you know if Vimeo charges for an account? I know Patreon has something with them that you can upload videos I think through Vimeo.
One week ago, 5:31 AM #14
All over the internet ads are increasing. Spotify runs 2-3 ads every 6-7 minutes sometimes. Twitch is adding automatic midrolls (on top of when streamers run them). And now YouTube is doing this crap.

I'm starting to think that internet ads are dying, and companies are doubling down, trying to save profits. All this reeks of desperation.
One week ago, 6:17 AM #15
I feel like ads do work for some people, but they may be over extending the ads...as entertainment moves from Cable to online, I realize the ads are moving there to keep up.

But if they inundate everything with ads, maybe they're spreading themselves too thin?

It's something to think about. Advertising works, or G Fuel wouldn't pay Pewdiepie to drink it in spite of all the controversies. But I don't see how slapping ads on people like me, who only get around 10 views per video, would benefit anyone o_O I value the people who watch my sh*t, but I doubt advertising on my crap is going to get them any buyers. I think it would be wiser for them to just stick with the larger channels.

Not sure what they think they're gonna get by advertising on small fries.

I'm trying to think of it from a business stand point: the only people who advertise on somewhere like PBS are actual supporters and underwriters, and of course "viewers like you." On TV, they decide where and when to advertise based on viewership, but it's a lot more dicey than advertising online where EVERYTHING is tracked so closely. Through analytics, they can tell very easily who gets the most views, and it would make more sense to buy your ad for those hot spots. I'm just really trying to wrap my head around it. YouTube gets all the money from an ad on a small channel, but what does Adsense get from their stuff being on a small channel? It seems like a waste of an ad (which was probably their first reason for stipulating subscriber #s and view hour prerequisites).

I'm not a business major, but I've seen lots of businesses make stupid decisions o_O

Anyway, I'm kind of an *sshole, so I'm going to flat out add a line to my videos stating I don't support whatever ad may (or may not, more likely) be shown on my videos. I don't know what else I could do :/

This is also kind of a form of censorship, in a way. Like larger channels rely on ads in order to make their income. But to do so, they have to avoid certain words and controversial things (not to say they can't and don't gossip and shit, but NO ONE was willing to do anything in depth about Shane Dawson until D'Angelo Wallace said "f*ck it, I'm doing this, I'm not monetizing, and I'm gonna talk about it." It takes someone who is more secure in their income—or have less to lose, just has the courage and wherewithal—to tackle some of the more difficult topics that may deem a video incapable of being monetized.

I dunno. I'm just...frustrated that people who don't want to be beholden to companies keep getting squeezed out of spaces. I really, really hope that lawsuit does something, besides the pass the buck along to small creators. Like I mentioned above, the FCC sued YouTube, and they passed it onto the creators. I can only imagine what Google will do as a result of losing a lawsuit against the Feds. I'd have to see what the lawsuit entails, and what will be mandated as a result of it.

Talk about 1984. These are really scary times, and with facial recognition, drones that can look into your windows, and companies like Amazon being so incredibly powerful: I'm worried how to keep companies from copyrighting my finger prints and DNA (I mean, I'm not that paranoid...but I'm that paranoid).
One week ago, 7:12 AM #16
I'd hesitate to say an ad on a small-time content creator would be a waste, tbh- for an info giant like google, anyways. Coding in a mandatory ad spot wouldn't take much when the framework is already there, and the ads are already made- its just the extra opportunity opening up.

I think the real money comes in from the ability to track individuals' data, and handpick which ads to show. Like, I've been helping my grandma do her xmas shopping for my sister, so I'm getting a lot of ads right now for a particular website. If I were to be, say, shopping around among several different retailers, and one really wanted to cinch me as a customer? They just dump more money to google, who puts ads for them on any site I visit- thanks to their algorithm tracking my search history and all the creepy adsense.

TV is a lot different, where stations keep track of who watches what channels at what time, and try to put the most relevant advertisements on for the current audience- but online, when you're always the current audience? Ads are picked for you, specifically, all the time. Even if I'm watching a small channel, that's an opportunity to get me to buy a bracelet, or whatever else I ""should"" be buying.

I'm sure there's something to be said for flooding people's minds with so many ads that it gets hard to filter it all out, tbh. As we see more and more advertisements, and the vast amounts of em get to be our new normal- it gives a great opportunity for the sheer quantity to start working on a subliminal level. Its not something I agree with, in any case- but the internet has changed a lot since corporations seemingly took it over. God, just look at the smackjeeves fiasco lol

Its hard not to see it as a sort of dystopia when a lot of the BUY BUY BUY mindset gets enforced from the outside. :(
One week ago, 7:23 AM #17
Youtube has been absolutely insufferable lately, and since I largely watch on my Firestick adblock isn't really an option. It really does feel like they're trying to twist your arm into paying for premium by intentionally making the site unbearably clogged with ads of late.

... Isn't going to work. I'd rather sit through a million ads than blow the money.
"Saga of YouTube Empire: Google Strikes Back", One week ago, 7:30 AM #18
ascii man
I do not mind ads before the start or after the end of video that much... they got to make some money to stay afloat.

But ads inserted in the middle of video... for the heaven's sake, why? That's going to rub video authors and viewers in really wrong way.

Anyway, as a command line junkie, I have personally stopped using YouTube's own web interface for watching and browsing video as soon as they stopped supporting older libre-codecs (WebM/VP8+Vorbis) long time ago; and switched to watching exclusively via YouTube-DL, and browsing via Invidious; which is also a +criticalhit +kill move for those nasty ads as well.

Needless to say that YouTube-DL recently became a target of MAFIAA ire and their business-as-usual DMCA abuse as well.

-----

With all the monetization craze, excessive webbugging, codec shift, and inaccessible redesign, I don't see YouTube being a good place to share a video anymore. So next time I need to do it, I would just go old-school by uploading the WebM/OgV file to my site, then share HTML5.0 embed code and/or direct link to it; just like when we share pictures these days. (If posted in series, might also add Atom/RSS feed too; turning them into subscribable video podcast- just like subscribing to a Youtube channel/playlist)

Youtube won't continue to flourish if you vote with your foot, but beware that this comes with sacrifices (HD is not everything, popularity is double-edged sword, etc...).

Nevertheless, cheers for decentralized video sharing!
One week ago, 9:11 AM #19
Can run and hide
To kinda explain what is happening, it's kinda the same thing that is happening with twitch, there are too many ad slots not being used and companies are calling youtube on not giving them all the ad space they paid for.

Normally these ad spaces would be cover by top youtuber so the smaller youtubers wouldn't have to do anything, like for every pewdiepie you get 100000 of small creators who get to have videos add free. The same principle works for keeping youtube free to use as the money large youtubers make youtube well covers the cost of everyone else.

The problem comes from the increase of ad slots bought because of the pandemic and the introduction of live streaming which requires a large amount of money to store so the scales are starting to even out so youtube increased the number of slots available.

The only real solution to this, or maybe two is, 1) A bunch of new VOD sites come up, and create competition to relive the pressure, which is unlikely people are irresponsible consumer, the current alternative sites, are straight up downgrades, dead, or branded alt right sites

or 2)They put up more top youtubers, which is even more unlikely.

Making money though people buying subs to creators doesn't work, Twitch has tried it all and still is no were near breaking even, (the main reason Twitch is getting Bused when parent Amazon could 100% step in a beat back the music industry DMCA claims)

Yep nothing to do about that but making to partnership program so you at least have some kinda say on the money that is made of your video, honestly the way the algorithm works once you get to the 1000 subs you don't really have to do that much to keep it, or try to strike out on Bitchute, Dtube, or Metacafe. I use ad blocker anyway enough though I use Youtube red because I use youtube music for work anyway and I don't see ads anyway.

Also the pedo ring/#YouTubeWakeUp thing was fake, fake to the point of the guy who started it popped out of no where and popped disappeared as quickly as he showed up.
One week ago, 10:46 AM #20
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Youtube used to be so good but google just mangled the fuck out of it.