Forum > General discussion > getting blindsided by a character death
Pages: 1 2
"getting blindsided by a character death", 8 days ago, 3:02 AM #1
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
im playing Mass Effect 3 and my favorite character just died and i dont think ive ever been this upset about a fictional character's death, and especially because i wasnt expecting it. they were scripted to die, it had nothing to do with decisions i made, everything is terrible and i cried because im a massive pussy.

post about sudden deaths of fictional characters that you didn't see coming/were upset by. commiserate with me so that i can feel less like a big weenie.

also spoil spoilers, i guess.
8 days ago, 3:08 AM #2
What a sucker
Spider-Man in Infinity War, because when I was a kid I had to be carried out of the theater crying because Green Goblin gave Spidey a hell of a thrashing and I had to be told that Spider-Man wouldn't die, so watching Spidey get dusted was a childhood fear recognized.
8 days ago, 3:22 AM #3
Don't feel bad, this shit happens to me so many times. Especially with series like Berserk, Baki, and One Piece. I cried when Whitebeard died mainly because his death was so symbolic and correlates a lot with my feelings of self sacrifice. Something about a man sacrificing his life to protect his crewmates despite knowing he stood no chance just broke me. There is also a series called Record of Ragnorok. Thor and Adams' death....man. I don't know how anyone can see that without getting a bit emotional. Even after facing Jack the Ripper and getting a taste of the worse humanity had to offer, Thor still cared about humanity and CHOSE to lose so humanity could gain ponits and not get wiped out. My eyes welled up a bit lol. Also damn Adams death too. God, I just can't take strong characters sacrificing themselves for the greater good without welling up a bit especially when they add that damn music, I get a little embarassed by it.

A good writer will make you feel impacted by such things.
8 days ago, 3:31 AM #4
Mr Robot has quite a few of these. I haven't started season 4 yet, but season 2 and 3 was FULL unexpected main character deaths. One particular caught me way off guard. MAJOR SPOILERS

8 days ago, 3:42 AM #5
Mine was also spiderman, but from the into the spider-verse. Heck, his failed relationship with Mary Jane tugs my hearts strings.

I knew this death had to be a thing eventually, he was sure to die in battle or something. no way could he retire quietly, but it's not something I ever wanted to see. I guess it just reflects my childhood.
8 days ago, 3:49 AM #6
The only thing that sucks about getting invested into Marvel and DC characters to that extent is they usually fux it up and make them just come back to life.

I remember being a little emotional when superman died trying to defend Lois from Doomsday. I thought it was a little sad he died right in her arms. Then, they fucing made it to where he wasn't actually dead, he just ran out of sunlight and recharged and came back to "life" later....

DC is worse at this admittedly. Like, the whole Injustice story isn't really worth getting emotionally invested in...why would we give a shit about everyone who died knowing this takes place in an alternate universe? And they are a little bit difficult to take seriously sometimes.....dude.....Nightwing dying from a fucking rock??????? How am I supposed to not laugh at that????? And don't get me started on Batmans annoying son somehow accidentally killing like a quarter of the roster.

Don't even get me started on Batman. I hate Batman. Batman needs to die and stay dead. I won't even feel sorry for him. That asshole is responsible for his crappy villians killing so many people and still thinking they can be redemmed. Not to mention how he kills other villians like the owl, but spares the Joker all the time, it's obvious because the Joker is popular but god it makes batman look like an ass. I wish I could just punch him.

MMMMmmmmmmm I'm about to start ranting. I'll stop here.
8 days ago, 4:04 AM #7
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
In Telltale's Walking Dead season 2 when
8 days ago, 5:10 AM #8
Venture Capitalist
You tanned sunuvabitch

Rest In Peace
8 days ago, 5:48 AM #9
swears it's 7 inches

8 days ago, 6:03 AM #10
Spoilers for anyone who hasn’t watched Critical Role Campaign 2

8 days ago, 6:17 AM #11
Logan destroyed me. (I like marvel movies, I just dislike the disney marvel movies)(I'm weirdly picky about superhero movies.)

I wept for the entire duration of the credits, then a few moments longer while the usher started clearing people out.
It genuinely felt like I had lost a real person- didn't shake that feeling completely for a couple of days. I think it's because Hugh Jackman got me into the x-men comics and while I wasn't crazy about a lot of the movies, I always had a soft spot for Hugh's portrayal of Wolverine. I mean he portrayed him on and off again for almost 20 years?

....Come to think of it I haven't watched or read anything to do with Wolverine since. It really is like the actual character died and that was that.

khkddn:In Telltale's Walking Dead season 2 when

"BACKBREAKER", 8 days ago, 6:18 AM #12

...in the final arc of Kimetsu no Yaiba kinda got me, I have to admit.
8 days ago, 10:57 AM #13
Birb is the Worb
TAZ spoilers.

The only recent time I can think of was
8 days ago, 11:47 AM #14
A pretty recent anime death, so I'm spoilering it for anyone who didn't see it or is not watching Akudama Drive

It was somewhat foreseeable, but the most shocking was the realization that

8 days ago, 12:14 PM #15
I used to really be into the Night Watch books by Sergei Lukyanenko. But after they killed off my favorite character in a later book, the rest of the series just wasn't the same. I actually stopped reading them. I never even started the last book.

It wasn't just that she died; she was killed off in brutal fashion in a single sentence by a brand new character who wasn't even fully fleshed out yet. It would be like if Hermione Granger was one-shotted in a later Harry Potter book by a villain who was just introduced just to show how scary he was.

Oh and there was also these:

I'm sure there's more, but I need more coffee...

8 days ago, 3:53 PM #16
HEY GANG I'M BACK BECAUSE ANOTHER GODDAMN CHARACTER DIED, I HATE THIS GAME
8 days ago, 4:19 PM #17
swears it's 7 inches
ME3 do be like that

8 days ago, 5:33 PM #18
Read a book called The Fire Sermon and the end felt like a punch to the gut. I still haven’t read the other books in the series because of it.
8 days ago, 9:30 PM #19
Rulerbrain:ME3 do be like that

aw man i had a feeling he'd end up dying. i was surprised it didn't happen when he was reintroduced at the beginning of the game.

8 days ago, 9:46 PM #20
Pages: 1 2