Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Long-form comics on Instagram?
Pages: 1
"Long-form comics on Instagram?", 5 days ago, 2:14 AM #1
So I know a lot of comic strips have had success on IG, but my comics are long form. I certainly wouldn't want to read a long-form comic on IG. To hard to find the right order. Do you post multiple images per post or one image per post? Sounds messy. So my question is: do any of you post your long-form series on IG? How do you post them? Do you find they reach their audience? Do you follow any long-form comics on IG? Or do you just promote with links to your comics page? Okay, that was actually a lot of questions. I'm trying to gather some steam on my IG and it's just so weird because, no shade, but there are some accounts that.... don't seem that appealing, and yet they're doing something right, because they have ten times the followers I do. Thanks for your input as ever, CF pals.
5 days ago, 5:01 AM #2
Before it got discontinued, I had once followed someone who was posting their long-form comic on IG, but it was only after they had shared their IG information on Tumblr (which was where I was originally following the comic; I otherwise don't bother with looking up long-form comics on IG). They posted in the format of one multiple pics per post, one panel per pic.
4 days ago, 3:31 AM #3
Thanks for your input! I hope a few more folks weigh in so I can have a broader data set, but your thoughts echo my own: long-forms don't belong on IG... which raises the question: how best to utilize IG? There's obviously no competing with gag-a-day strips, but there must be something that can be done to generate interest.
4 days ago, 3:46 AM #4
Hmm. The jury is still out for me. I'm posting full pages at a time on IG. It would be a lot of extra work to break them up into smaller bites, like was suggested, but I can see the value in that. It's hard to read a full page on IG.

What I do is to include a link to here, and my patreon, but I don't really have a strong following yet. Maybe the one or two panels a day is a better tease?

However, there are a couple artist I follow who post comic strips multiple times a week, and I still miss postings, so I might be reading one that is a follow up, and I don't know what's going on. So I suppose that's an issue too. It depends on ho busy your feed is, and how willing you are to look for something.

I'll be following this chain closely to see if others have good insight. I'm not sure I helped answer your question, but I gave you some feedback on my experiences, and hope to hear others.
Today, 1:51 AM #5
The issues you described, D.Harden, with trying to find the pages in order, missing postings, etc., echoed my own concerns about posting. That definitely helped answer my question. I think the consensus (of three) is IG just isn't ideal for long-forms, which is frustrating, because it's probably the most important platform for artists these days, but I haven't managed to attract a following yet, and I'm sure very few people even of my followers have actually been led to my comics from there, especially since you can't even add clickable links in posts