Pages: 1 2
"Make webnovels possible?", 1st Jan 2021, 8:29 PM #1
I was just wondering especially for fanfiction writers since fancomics became a big hit here, maybe Comic Fury can work on a way to make webhosting text a possibility too? Tapas hosts both comics and novels/fanfiction, and it is good for people who do both comics and writing like me.

While I do respect that Comic Fury (hence its name) is for comics first, maybe it can still have that option because written books are just as great as comic books. Who knows, it might even lead to the creation of a sister site Novel Fury.
1st Jan 2021, 8:42 PM #2
I think I've seen one here, actually -- you can use custom html instead of images for comic pages, which could be a way about it? You'd possibly have to code in paragraph breaks and the like, though.
1st Jan 2021, 8:47 PM #3
Yeah, but having some automated system helps immensely.
1st Jan 2021, 9:11 PM #4
Birb is the Worb
One of the things I work on is an illustrated novel. It can be as simple as saving text as an image, if you don't want to do the pictures as well.
1st Jan 2021, 9:19 PM #5
Can you elaborate on how to do this, Jammy? I am writing a Transformers fanfic I want to post online and making a webcomic out of it is no good because because drawing a bot again and again is too much backbreaking work.
1st Jan 2021, 9:51 PM #6
Birb is the Worb
I just create blank pages, paste the text in, format it (then add in artwork) and export it as an image.
1st Jan 2021, 10:03 PM #7
That's genius! Thanks! You should make a tutorial of this!
1st Jan 2021, 11:50 PM #8
JammyTheBirb:I just create blank pages, paste the text in, format it (then add in artwork) and export it as an image.

That is exactly how I do the pages like this one that are art and text. I use Scribus (freeware, similar to Publisher) to compose the pages and then just export it as either an image file or a .pdf. I did an entire 80-page comic / text project with my writing partner like this. It's very easy and quick once you get the hang of it.
2nd Jan 2021, 1:16 AM #9
Nthing the suggestion to post pages as images. That's a great opportunity to flex your typesetting muscles, too. The formatting of text can be a powerful storytelling tool!

Text posted as images is inherently inaccessible though, because there's no way for people to losslessly enlarge the text or use a custom font to improve legibility, and screen-readers can't always read text in images. Visuals-locked text makes sense for comics, which are inherently visual, but novels are not inherently visual and it makes no sense to lock them down like that. If you do post a webnovel this way, please provide transcripts with the pages, or a link to somewhere where the text is available as actual text (e.g. an AO3 mirror if it's fanfic).
2nd Jan 2021, 1:22 AM #10
Oh dear. I didn't think of that.
2nd Jan 2021, 2:02 AM #11
It's a cool idea I think! I'm going to post on tapas again soon and I find the novels interesting. I think the ideal solution for accessibility, is having the text embedded into html like most ebook/novel sites. And luckily there's custom html option on this site, so technically you can custom code some novel stuff, but depending on how many features you want it could get complex beyond simple css. check the image link to see an example of coding a novel thing, you could technically get something like this working on any site using the html part of the upload

Maybe i'll make a quick simple thing that can be copy & pasted, but yeah like said earlier it'd be cool if a standard "ebook" type upload was implemented as a feature, otherwise the only option would be learning a bit of html/css and using the custom html upload.

And if not that then yeah, the most feasible option at the moment would be uploading the text as an image, although it won't be super accessible to everyone, it won't be as much of a pain to have to code a template using html/css/js
2nd Jan 2021, 11:21 AM #12
Sovember:It's a cool idea I think! I'm going to post on tapas again soon and I find the novels interesting. I think the ideal solution for accessibility, is having the text embedded into html like most ebook/novel sites. And luckily there's custom html option on this site, so technically you can custom code some novel stuff, but depending on how many features you want it could get complex beyond simple css. check the image link to see an example of coding a novel thing, you could technically get something like this working on any site using the html part of the upload

Woah, this is an awesome resource!!
2nd Jan 2021, 3:35 PM #13
True true, but I was thinking of having premise novel friendly sites available for those of us who aren’t code savvy. It saves time and work.
2nd Jan 2021, 3:44 PM #14
That would be nice. Then I could post some of my own work, since I write but don't make comics.
2nd Jan 2021, 5:26 PM #15
Exactly what I'm talking about. I think Comic Fury would benefit beautifully from either adding webnovel site options or a sister webnovel site. Growing the community in this branch would be great because books with only words are just as great as books with pictures (comics).
2nd Jan 2021, 5:27 PM #16
CoireallCarrollKent:Woah, this is an awesome resource!!

Right!? Codepen/Github are great for looking at ideas :D

MK_Wizard:True true, but I was thinking of having premise novel friendly sites available for those of us who aren’t code savvy. It saves time and work.

Yeah true, that's what I meant when I said it'd be cool as a dedicated feature implemented in the site :) . Alternatively, you can try this and not have to code anything at all.

Word to HTML. Just type out your story and format it in the Word editor, then copy and paste the HTML that renders into the HTML Upload!

2nd Jan 2021, 5:37 PM #17
So let me get this straight: this is possible right now by abusing custom templates and/or page descriptions? Then we don't even need much, mostly just a way to mark written fiction as such, so people can choose if they want to read it or not.
2nd Jan 2021, 5:42 PM #18
Well... my idea is different. My idea is to just make an official difference and means so readers know that they're reading a book instead of a comic which I think is the right way to go about it so readers know what they're getting. It's kind of like putting the genre on the piece.
2nd Jan 2021, 5:49 PM #19
ComicFury has an option to load custom HTML instead of pictures while updating your comic. I use it to make my illustrated novel, Cold Obsidian. It's easy and allows much more freedom than Tapas does.
2nd Jan 2021, 5:50 PM #20
felixp7:So let me get this straight: this is possible right now by abusing custom templates and/or page descriptions? Then we don't even need much, mostly just a way to mark written fiction as such, so people can choose if they want to read it or not.

Yup! You can do a lot, Kyo's cool for letting people mess with the HTML. It's really powerful, you can do a lot with little code knowledge, and do some crazy custom stuff with a bit more research. Yeah that's how I see it too, maybe "novel" templates for people who don't want to touch HTML at all, but otherwise we just need to distinguish novels from webcomics :)

MK_Wizard:Well... my idea is different. My idea is to just make an official difference and means so readers know that they're reading a book instead of a comic which I think is the right way to go about it so readers know what they're getting. It's kind of like putting the genre on the piece.

Yeah, anything that has to do with changing the actual genre or giving like a complete section for it like tapas does (stuff you can't change visually on the site with HTML), will have to be implemented by Kyo kind of like the infinite scroll thing. But yeah uploading an image, or changing the HTML/CSS/JS will be the only options I see until that becomes a reality, but you can get a "ebook/novel" feel on your site with those methods if you're creative enough :) . It's a cool idea, I'd put it in suggestions

Edit: I said put it in "suggestions" for some reason thought this was in a different place XD. Yeah it's a cool idea though!