Forum > Critique > Nothin' but the Best, Baby!
Pages: 1 2 3
"Nothin' but the Best, Baby!", 8th Jan 2021, 1:57 AM #1
🚿
I haven't opened a new critique thread in a while and I'm in the mood for something extra-cushy.

I'll read your comic and tell you in a brief but useful amount of detail what I think is the best thing about it. As always, this is just my opinion, so feel free to toss it in the toilet if you like.

I might consider opening an inverse of this thread later for people who are more interested in suggestions for improvement, but for now, Shameless-Ego-Boosting-GO!!
9th Jan 2021, 3:23 PM #2
lol, I like that. (⌒‿⌒)

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
9th Jan 2021, 5:22 PM #3
If you have the time, would you mind doing Angels of the Fallen? :D (Note: full color pages start at Chapter 12)
9th Jan 2021, 5:34 PM #4
I would love to if you'd critique Crimson Knights. It's steadily approaching 200 pages as I'm writing this, so if that's too much you could stop at the end of the chapter 8.
9th Jan 2021, 5:36 PM #5
hola, can you boost my ego and do The Adventures of Sir Power?
9th Jan 2021, 6:42 PM #6
I'm in!

Feel free to choose any of my stories: Cold Obsidian or Gifts of wandering ice.
9th Jan 2021, 6:56 PM #7
I know I was in the "pair up with another author" thread, but if you want, take another look at Arkin Blade, it's a bit further along now. Critique is important but a good ego stroke is nice every now and then.
9th Jan 2021, 10:23 PM #8
Feel free to tear mine a new one, even if it is still starting out. I could always use some advice. HOPE
9th Jan 2021, 10:40 PM #9
I'm in a creative funk right now, so perhaps some ego boosting will do me some good.

You've done mine before though, so feel free to skip it if you want to give new comics some attention.
9th Jan 2021, 10:44 PM #10
🚿
-JoKeR-:lol, I like that. (⌒‿⌒)

I've read your comic fairly recently, and I can tell you that what sticks in my mind the most about it even without a re-read is the worldbuilding. You keep the focus on your story and characters, which is where it should be, but I appreciate how you find ways to sprinkle in details about the world right down to bits of conlang that are juuust similar enough to existing words that the reader can easily understand the context. Now, you do drop a page or two of lore sheets to spell it all out explicitly, but I personally find that they're not needed. I mean this in a good way--the lore breakdowns are interesting, but it still shows up in the story enough that I can get a sense of how things work. The world is fleshed out and intuitive. A lot of writers have tons of worldbuilding in their back pockets, especially in longform fantasy and science fiction, but working it into the story enough to add richness to the setting but not enough to derail the plot is a difficult tightrope walk that you seem to handle beautifully.

Just FYI, these responses will come in slowly and in the order they were requested. I will get around to everyone in time, so bear with me.
9th Jan 2021, 10:52 PM #11
You could comment on mine, if you wanna... (Which you might not want, since you have critiqued it eralier and also comments on it often, so don't feel forced to do it!)

10th Jan 2021, 6:49 AM #12
🚿
BustyLaroo:If you have the time, would you mind doing Angels of the Fallen? :D (Note: full color pages start at Chapter 12)

Another comic I've read recently (quite a few of these are in this thread, in fact).

I do believe the last time I reviewed it, I had good things to say about the characters and how they react to things. Whether it's their interpersonal relationships, small mundane moments, personal tragedies, or dealing with revelations that have world-shaking ramifications, you seem to put a lot of care into making those reactions feel like something a real person would do. For example, when the characters are assembled to
, some of them *drumroll* refuse! And the story doesn't villify them for it. In fact, quite a few of the other characters have to think about it before they make up their minds. And others frankly just jump at it, because that's just how they are. Point is, this was a critical juncture of the story and every reaction I saw made me think "yeah, that's exactly what that person would do." All that prior buildup was critical to giving genuine weight to a moment that many stories would take for granted. Sure, our merry band of heroes will, well, do the hero thing. But this story wants you to feel like their choice means something, and it really pays off.
10th Jan 2021, 4:44 PM #13
Bones and the Space Jolly Rogers is open if you want to take a look!
10th Jan 2021, 5:04 PM #14
I'd like a critique of 2099 if you're interested.
Two weeks ago, 1:54 AM #15
🚿
DeadlyAssassin:I would love to if you'd critique Crimson Knights. It's steadily approaching 200 pages as I'm writing this, so if that's too much you could stop at the end of the chapter 8.

Stop at 8 chapters? Fooey. I don't do things by halves. Besides, it was an interesting read.

For my part, I found myself really sucked into the different backstories for each of the aspiring knights, what led them to the order and what makes them willing to make the sacrifices necessary to gain the strength they need to fight evil forces. One way or another, these characters are misfits who are seeking new purpose together even if it costs them. Moreover, I love how these people come from such wildly different backgrounds with heavy implications of prejudice between these groups. But within the order, they are family and they support each other like family. They're open-minded and nonjudgemental toward each other and there is a genuine bond between them even during moments of tension. They may be sworn to their duty above all else, but they're also very committed to supporting and protecting each other and I really enjoy that aspect of the writing in particular.
Two weeks ago, 7:00 AM #16
Great you liked the characters and their interactions with each other since I try my best to make them very distinct from each other. Also it's nice that you were able to see some of the subtext that I had put in.
Two weeks ago, 8:51 PM #17
🚿
Zero Hour:hola, can you boost my ego and do The Adventures of Sir Power?

Sir Power's biggest strength is the comedy. At first it seems like it be a meme comic, but the meme references are just a fraction of the jokes. There's a whole lot of self-aware humor and homages, as well as a running theme of humorously understated or (ocassionally) overstated reactions to the neverending bizarre events unfolding. The titular character, Sir Power, is amusingly overpowered and yet constantly subjected to weird inconveniences and accosted by the strangest assortment of enemies. What stands out the most is how unpredictable the jokes and twists and how rapid-fire it can be. I never really know what to expect and that's half the fun.
Two weeks ago, 10:40 PM #18
Have a go at mine if you'd like?
Two weeks ago, 10:43 PM #19
melaredblu:Sir Power's biggest strength is the comedy. At first it seems like it be a meme comic, but the meme references are just a fraction of the jokes. There's a whole lot of self-aware humor and homages, as well as a running theme of humorously understated or (ocassionally) overstated reactions to the neverending bizarre events unfolding. The titular character, Sir Power, is amusingly overpowered and yet constantly subjected to weird inconveniences and accosted by the strangest assortment of enemies. What stands out the most is how unpredictable the jokes and twists and how rapid-fire it can be. I never really know what to expect and that's half the fun.

Thank u for all those compliments MahcelQ
13 days ago, 8:19 PM #20
🚿
Mild:I'm in!

Feel free to choose any of my stories: Cold Obsidian or Gifts of wandering ice.

I went with Gifts of Wandering Ice since there is more to work with.

I'd say the comic has a lot going for it, but the part I enjoyed the most was just what an interesting take this story is on a post-apocalyptic setting. The world feels so alien, a combination of remnants of a distant future and surviving cultures with foreign values shaped heavily by the lingering effects of the lost technology they've encountered and the kind of relationship each different group has with that technology. Not only that, but we get glimpses of what people of the past were like and why, despite their advanced civilization, they eventually fell. Their legacy leaves behind things that seem miraculous and also things that are terrifying and dangerous. It's easy to understand why the survivors often don't see eye-to-eye on the lost tech, but also interesting to see how the main characters are working to understand each other and the past better. The psychological impacts of the technology is also a very interesting angle that adds a deeper layer to the increasingly ambivalent nature of past technology.
Pages: 1 2 3