Forum > News & Announcements > comicfury needs your help
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
"comicfury needs your help", 11th Jan 2021, 6:20 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
Have you ever noticed this website is free? probably not because like all websites are free these days or something

well, CF isn't funded by big venture capital or selling peoples data, or ads, it's literally just the patreon making 200ish dollars a month, which covers the cost of hosting and basically nothing else. No one here gets paid, unless you count the proud 2-figure profits the site is making (as in, less than 100$, and not even close to it). I never minded all that, the site is strictly a passion project, and in the 12 years of it's existance, I never really tried to monetize it, I just wanted it to be a cool place for webcomics, no strings attached.

However, we've also been meaning to move the site to a new server for a long time now, partially just to make things run more reliably, but also to allow for https on peoples webcomics, which our current host doesn't support. If you're not sure what that means, don't worry about it too much, just know that it's something that's necessary for the site to have sooner or later, preferably sooner. Like I said, almost all of the money from the patreon currently goes into the current server, so we don't have a ton of financial flexibility here.

I'm not great at asking people for money, so uh, I'll just come right out and say it. This is a robbery. empty your wallet, into this patreon below and no one gets hurt:

okay but seriously, I had basically resigned to the fact that I would have to add some monetization to the site to help us out of this pickle. Unfortunately I also recently went back to university after like half a decade, so my time to work on that kind of stuff has been significantly cut short also. I brought this up recently and people kind of surprised me by being amazingly supportive, we got like 5 new patrons, just from an obscure thread in the problems & suggestions forum.

So this is my plea to you, if you can afford it, please donate to our patreon, so we can keep the site free for everyone. Usually I don't like bothering people with this kind of stuff, and I won't make a habit out of using the announcement feature to just ask people for money, but I'll probably at least have to force myself to bring this up more often when I make actual announcements. I don't think I even mentioned the patreon at all since I made it like 2 years ago

About the potential monetization: Now I don't want to scare anyone too much so I'll also briefly talk about plan B if we're unable to raise sufficient funds by just asking (it's a foolproof plan though, right?). Like I said, I'll be forced to monetize the site. I really don't want to put ads on the site, I may do a thing where you can advertise your webcomics on the voluntary ad slots in exchange for money/patreon tokens/whatever in the future, but I don't want to just put google ads or something on peoples comics, I feel very strongly about that. Another thing that will probably happen if we can't raise enough money is that I'll have to charge people for using custom domains. I don't want to pull a bait and switch on people, so everyone who already is hosting a custom domain will get some sort of free grace period if it does come down to that. I may also do stuff like e.g. limit extra files to like 80 files or something before you have to shill out some dosh you know, nothing overly restrictive, I don't want to turn this site into a massive grift, I think our track record over the last 12 years should hopefully afford me enough trust when I say this.

Like I said though, I would prefer if it was just a dealio where people who can afford it donate to the patreon, and the site's funded, and everyone can use it without restrictions. Also the patreon rewards are fake, sorry. You have to do it exclusively for keeping the site free, and I guess for my gratitude which I'm not even that good at showing. But I am grateful though, so a massive thank you to all the current patrons, who have been keeping the ship afloat so far

PS: I may or may not also raise the minimum pledge to 2$, what do people think about that? When you pledge one dollar, most of that gets sunk straight into fees, apparently these days if you try to set up a 1$ pledge, patreon shows you a big old scary warning about how that's a bad idea.

PPS: also you have to be at least 18 years old to pledge to the patreon, or ask your parents for permission.
11th Jan 2021, 6:24 PM #2
I will check my budget. I used to be a patron anyway. Maybe I can still afford to be one.
11th Jan 2021, 6:24 PM #3
I would really, really love to help...but I'm a minor and I don't think my parents would let me do this..... I hope you raise lots of money though <3
"I can't pay", 11th Jan 2021, 6:27 PM #4
I really wish I could help, but I can't. I'm 13 only and thus can't use Patreon. But I will voluntarily allow ads on my webcomic.
11th Jan 2021, 6:28 PM #5
I'm already a patron but I'd be down to host ads on my comic to support the site :)
11th Jan 2021, 6:29 PM #6
I'm already your Patron but I'll try to help too: I'll raise my pledge and spread the word about your Patreon on social media.

We still have an option of voluntary ads to support CF since ProjectWonderful was a thing. Why not put a CF Patreon banner (or maybe a link to this thread) there? I would enable it on my sites right away. I think that many people would do the same as well.
11th Jan 2021, 6:32 PM #7
You know what? Imma do what I can- and by that I mean I'll allow ads on my website :3 If I've learned anything from my short time on this world so far is that if everyone pitches in a little, we can make a big difference
11th Jan 2021, 6:32 PM #8
I pledged 5$, it ain't much but it;s something
11th Jan 2021, 6:32 PM #9
If you want to host ads again, might I recommend Comicad.net

It's the one I use, it's similar to project wonderful and it's worked out great for me so far from both a revenue and and advertising angle.

Already support the Patreon, still waiting for my forum powers.
11th Jan 2021, 6:32 PM #10
I'll also put a message to help support CF. We have to do anything we can to help keep CF the way it is.
11th Jan 2021, 6:32 PM #11
Recently became a Patron! :D ...Sorry, I couldn't afford the 5$ dollar tier, though, so I stuck with the lowest one D: would still support you if you were to raise it to 2$! :D Or maybe you could also add one more in-between tier that's like $3,50? If I'm not wrong, if you raise your tier to a little more than $3 Patreon should only take 3% of fees instead of the 5% it takes on the 1 dollar tier.

Alsoooooo... have you considered setting up a Paypal.me or a Ko-Fi for one-time donations? :) 'Cos I'd actually like to donate a little more, but I felt bad joining Patreon with a high tier and then immediately switching back to the lowest one, lol.
11th Jan 2021, 6:32 PM #12
I don't think comic ads would be a bad idea, honestly. Furaffinity ads are kind of like this and it doesn't bother me at all to see artists looking for adspace as opposed to wealthy companies trying to sell a product. Ads could be on the main site here, and maybe a toggle option for webcomics to display ads if they want to (I definitely would)
Due to struggles with unemployment I can't really afford to be a patron right now, but I would absolutely consider buying adspace at a later time.
11th Jan 2021, 6:32 PM #13
Kyo
🐊
Mild:I'm already your Patron but I'll try to help too: I'll raise my pledge and spread the word about your Patreon on social media.

We still have an option of voluntary ads to support CF since ProjectWonderful was a thing. Why not put a CF Patreon banner (or maybe a link to this thread) there? I would enable it on my sites right away. I think that many people would do the same as well.

that's a good idea, although my reservation is that I'd be somewhat concerned that people would confuse it for a patreon for the comic the ad is on, so it might seem a little deceptive. I guess maybe the banner design could try to make it really clear that it's for the host site and not the webcomic itself
11th Jan 2021, 6:34 PM #14
Can you perhaps make a ko-fi or leave a straight Paypal donate link as well?

I know there must be people who can't or don't want to use patreon and would prefer to make a donation on a non-subscription basis, for example.
11th Jan 2021, 6:35 PM #15
I vote raising minimum pledge to $2
11th Jan 2021, 6:38 PM #16
Not a patron I'm afraid, Kyo, but I'm wishing you lots of luck for raising the money you need :)
"Just pledged", 11th Jan 2021, 6:39 PM #17
Just pledged $5 per month
11th Jan 2021, 6:39 PM #18
You can just write on the banner something like: this comic is hosted on ComicFury - free webcomic hosting. Support ComicFury on Patreon".

Also, making a Ko-fi account is a great idea! Some people can't afford monthly subscriptions but can afford a single donation once in a while.

Kyo:that's a good idea, although my reservation is that I'd be somewhat concerned that people would confuse it for a patreon for the comic the ad is on, so it might seem a little deceptive. I guess maybe the banner design could try to make it really clear that it's for the host site and not the webcomic itself
11th Jan 2021, 6:39 PM #19
Mild:

Wait, how does one do that? Like many here, I don't have any money of my own, but I'd be totally down to have ads on my comic to keep the site running.
11th Jan 2021, 6:44 PM #20
-3-

This may sound terribly strange and primitive, but i'm not set up for any sort of online financial transactions. (Just mark it as a "Hermit thing" and move on)

Is there a mail drop that can be used for Donations to the cause?

(-3- is not an emoticon. It's pronounced 'Three', the hyphens are silent.)
Forum > News & Announcements > comicfury needs your help
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14