Forum > News & Announcements > comicfury needs your help
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
11th Jan 2021, 6:44 PM #21
It's there: Manage webcomic -> Edit Settings -> Advertisement settings

But since Project Wonderful no longer lives, this function does nothing for now.
Replacing it with a CF Patreon banner or a ComicAd (it's similar to PW) banner may be a way to go.

Team Stormbow:Wait, how does one do that? Like many here, I don't have any money of my own, but I'd be totally down to have ads on my comic to keep the site running.
"My announcement", 11th Jan 2021, 6:44 PM #22
I have announced on my comic the news of this.
http://tuw.cfw.me/comics/8
11th Jan 2021, 6:45 PM #23
RusCSI:Can you perhaps make a ko-fi or leave a straight Paypal donate link as well?

I know there must be people who can't or don't want to use patreon and would prefer to make a donation on a non-subscription basis, for example.

Given my financial situation I also cannot make a patreon pledge, but I would be glad to make a donation every now and then.
11th Jan 2021, 6:47 PM #24
I don’t mind having ads on my comic site so long as they’re not innapropriate.

I’ll think about what’s the best way for me to help out if there’s any way I can right now, I’ll let you know if I can do anything like become a patron or donate to a Ko-fi

I really appreciate your heart for this site Kyo, it’s amazing that you’ve been able to give us free domains and everything for 12 years!

11th Jan 2021, 6:48 PM #25
Team Stormbow:Wait, how does one do that? Like many here, I don't have any money of my own, but I'd be totally down to have ads on my comic to keep the site running.

It's in INFO & SETTINGS > Edit Settings, under Functionality -> Advertisement, on each comic's management interface.
11th Jan 2021, 6:50 PM #26
In order to do my part in helping to keep this awesome website free, I'll consider allowing ads on my comic.

This is, of course, contingent upon there being no inappropriate ads.
11th Jan 2021, 6:50 PM #27
Llyrel:
Alsoooooo... have you considered setting up a Paypal.me or a Ko-Fi for one-time donations? :) 'Cos I'd actually like to donate a little more, but I felt bad joining Patreon with a high tier and then immediately switching back to the lowest one, lol.

I'm not on Patreon (I'd rather just pay artists directly for comms and stuff) but I definitely would like to donate to support all the work you do. My income's increased a fair amount since I've joined the site, so I'd rather just donate a one-time or yearly bigger payment when I'm able to than those smaller scheduled payments
11th Jan 2021, 6:52 PM #28
I can look at how much I can pledge. Maybe $5 sounds good. In meantime, I'm okay with ads.
11th Jan 2021, 6:52 PM #29
Kyo
🐊
Thanks for the support and kind words everyone! These responses are coming in faster than I can even compose replies for them. And a big thanks to all new and current patrons!

Guybrush20X6:
Already support the Patreon, still waiting for my forum powers.

yeah, sorry about that, I'm way behind on those, I'll try and get em all handed out this week. Uni's been kicking my ass so I've been super swamped, although to be honest I also wasn't super reliable about handing those out on time before that

In regards to comicad: I'd probably just do a similar thing that's CF-specific for a fixed price, probably with a site-wide rotation of everyone who paid into it that month, that way people won't have to sign up to an unrelated website, plus it makes things easier in terms of privacy policies

RusCSI:Can you perhaps make a ko-fi or leave a straight Paypal donate link as well?

I know there must be people who can't or don't want to use patreon and would prefer to make a donation on a non-subscription basis, for example.

Llyrel:Recently became a Patron! :D ...Sorry, I couldn't afford the 5$ dollar tier, though, so I stuck with the lowest one D: would still support you if you were to raise it to 2$! :D Or maybe you could also add one more in-between tier that's like $3,50? If I'm not wrong, if you raise your tier to a little more than $3 Patreon should only take 3% of fees instead of the 5% it takes on the 1 dollar tier.

Alsoooooo... have you considered setting up a Paypal.me or a Ko-Fi for one-time donations? :) 'Cos I'd actually like to donate a little more, but I felt bad joining Patreon with a high tier and then immediately switching back to the lowest one, lol.

No worries at all, thanks for the contribution. In the past I've avoided things besides patreon because patreon makes the VAT/tax stuff real easy whereas most other alternatives make you deal with it yourself. But I guess beggars can't be choosers, so I'll look into setting something up, no promises yet though. At the end of the day our costs are monthly though, so one time donations are kind of hard to plan around in terms of offsetting server costs.

There's a setting in your webcomic settings to enable voluntary ads. Currently the setting doesn't do anything (ever since project wonderful shut down), but it will work again in the future (which is also the reason I never removed the setting to begin with)

-3-:This may sound terribly strange and primitive, but i'm not set up for any sort of online financial transactions. (Just mark it as a "Hermit thing" and move on)

Is there a mail drop that can be used for Donations to the cause?

Thank you, but unfortunately not. I live in a place that doesn't deal in freedom money, and I think the shipping costs accross the ocean would make this non-viable for most users anyway.

ShaRose49:I don’t mind having ads on my comic site so long as they’re not innapropriate.

I’ll think about what’s the best way for me to help out if there’s any way I can right now, I’ll let you know if I can do anything like become a patron or donate to a Ko-fi

I really appreciate your heart for this site Kyo, it’s amazing that you’ve been able to give us free domains and everything for 12 years!

Jaycee Storm:In order to do my part in helping to keep this awesome website free, I'll consider allowing ads on my comic.

This is, of course, contingent upon there being no inappropriate ads.

if/when I do that banner rotation I mentioned higher up in this post, it would probably work based on the webcomic flags, that's another benefit of doing it "in-house"
11th Jan 2021, 6:52 PM #30
i like the straightforward honesty. so many company's try to "soften" this stuff with fluff words or mention it in fine print at size 2 font.

i wouldn't mind ADs on my comic. long as there not forced, per say. i switched on ads in the beginning (before finding out they were gone anyway) because it was really nice to have a choice instead of having 5 ad blocks scattered everywhere by force. like how many sites are there that actually ASK you first to place ads?

maybe those who cant do patreon because too young or no financial wiggle room would be willing to pick it up as well.

the other thing about ads is its enemy the ad block. its gonna rely on people turning it off and i find that the more a website pushes for ads to go through, the more people push back. (such as those annoying blockers going "WE SEE YOU HAVE AD BLOCKER, PLEASE TURN-" it makes me flee the site immediately, or use a separate blocker to basically have it fudge off.

so maybe it'd be a good idea to switch back on those selective ads again. see how it works and maybe it'll give a boost and work for the better.
11th Jan 2021, 6:53 PM #31
OK, I pledged at the $5 level and I feel like a total miser!
"Also", 11th Jan 2021, 6:53 PM #32
I also would consider a paypal.me or a ko-fi to give people the option of doing a one time donation
11th Jan 2021, 6:54 PM #33
Poor minor who loves this site, I’m toggling the advertisements right now.
11th Jan 2021, 6:54 PM #34
I’m trying the “allow advertisements” function for now, I hope that helps!

11th Jan 2021, 6:55 PM #35
Mild:It's there: Manage webcomic -> Edit Settings -> Advertisement settings

But since Project Wonderful no longer lives, this function does nothing for now.
Replacing it with a CF Patreon banner or a ComicAd (it's similar to PW) banner may be a way to go.

felixp7:It's in INFO & SETTINGS > Edit Settings, under Functionality -> Advertisement, on each comic's management interface.

Thanks!
11th Jan 2021, 7:00 PM #36
also to ad onto allowable ads. maybe have a selection for the comic fury home page as well? to see ads there or to keep it "clutter free" as i spend most my time around here/ the forums and very minimal on comics. unless iam marathoning. most the time its to see the newest page.
"Let's save our world!", 11th Jan 2021, 7:00 PM #37
You have seriously helped me kick off my dream. I will see what I need to do to help you in return! Thanks to you allowing us to host our comics on this site, we have been able to introduce the world to new stories, new ideas, and unconventional comics that are pretty much impossible to find elsewhere. So once I am in a better spot I will do what I can to help this keep going!
11th Jan 2021, 7:04 PM #38
I'll check my budget. You've done such an awesome job with this site and I definitely want to support it.
Thanks for all your hard work, Kyo!
11th Jan 2021, 7:07 PM #39
I was already a Patron, but I've increased my pledge. ComicFury is important to me, but so is not having ads on my sites.
11th Jan 2021, 7:14 PM #40
I guess It's time for me to go into my superhero mode. SUPPORT POWERS ACTIVATE! WynautWarrior used $5 throw!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12