Forum > ComicFury Problems, Critique and Suggestions > Would it be possible to change the "Genderqueer" gender category to "Nonbinary"?
Pages: 1 2
"Would it be possible to change the "Genderqueer" gender category to "Nonbinary"?", 4 days ago, 2:28 AM #1
I know that this might be an issue for folks who are actually genderqueer, but if what is actually meant is "neither male nor female" would it be possible to change the word to nonbinary since it's more widely used and more inclusive? Personally, I'm queer, and I have a nonbinary gender, so it's the not word itself that I have an issue with. It's the fact that genderqueer folks are a specific type of nonbinary people, if that makes sense.

If other genderqueer and nonbinary folks could weigh in, I'd appreciate it. I want to make sure I'm not entirely off base for making this request.
4 days ago, 3:10 AM #2
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
I would have though non-binary was less incluse because it excludes people who present as male sometimes and female at other times. Genderqueer seems to be the more umbrella term for any deviation to traditional gender, but I defer to the actual community, since I'm cis.
4 days ago, 3:15 AM #3
Genderqueer is a little bit out of use, yeah. Heck, maybe use both or allow custom descriptors as long as their short enough to fit the profile.
4 days ago, 3:27 AM #4
Drum bum
In all fairness, the only thing that the option changes is the little icon next to your name - it really doesn't have any bearing on the rest of the website, but I absolutely understand the concern. It's gotta be funky labelling yourself as something that you aren't really because it's the "closest thing". I do just feel the need to say that, as far as I know, the label doesn't show up anywhere except that little image.

To be honest, part of me wonders if it would be easier to just have a box for pronouns rather than the little gender images? That's a bit more inclusive? But I'm not sure how hard that would be to implement, haha. I think we've well established I don't know shit about code.

E: I'm also cis so feel free to stop me if I've said something funky.

E2: or like, where the image is. What if it said she/her instead? I'm afraid that might clog up the threads for longer names though... I'm not sure where it'd go, just a suggestion.
Currently face down in a spilled, melted puddle of a 711 cherry slushie in a Denny's Parking Lot with the ruined remains of my Danny Phantom fanfiction just out of my grasp. I think I hear the whispers of the ghost boy laughing at me in the distance, but that may be the delirium.
4 days ago, 3:45 AM #5
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
It may be redundant to point out to you, but for other readers of the thread I wanted to point out that you can also just not choose and have no gender indicator, like in real life.
4 days ago, 3:55 AM #6
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
similar to when the korean language icon used to be the north korean flag: it's not completely wrong, but it'd make more sense to use the option that most people know in current year
4 days ago, 4:11 AM #7
The Letter M:I would have though non-binary was less incluse because it excludes people who present as male sometimes and female at other times. Genderqueer seems to be the more umbrella term for any deviation to traditional gender, but I defer to the actual community, since I'm cis.

That's actually not true, at all. I am intersex, but I present as masc and fem situationally, even though I am mostly masc identifying. What you are describing on the first sentence is a genderfluid person and they are included in the nonbinary umbrella. Genderqueer used to be the umbrella term and synonymous with nonbinary However, it became somewhat problematic because some people who are nonbinary (like cishet-conforming intersex folks) may not consider themselves queer, and because being genderqueer often is associated with androgyny, which is also something that a lot of nonbinary men and nonbinary women don't identify with.

Merged Doublepost:

Nyomi:In all fairness, the only thing that the option changes is the little icon next to your name - it really doesn't have any bearing on the rest of the website, but I absolutely understand the concern. It's gotta be funky labelling yourself as something that you aren't really because it's the "closest thing". I do just feel the need to say that, as far as I know, the label doesn't show up anywhere except that little image.

To be honest, part of me wonders if it would be easier to just have a box for pronouns rather than the little gender images? That's a bit more inclusive? But I'm not sure how hard that would be to implement, haha. I think we've well established I don't know shit about code.

E: I'm also cis so feel free to stop me if I've said something funky.

E2: or like, where the image is. What if it said she/her instead? I'm afraid that might clog up the threads for longer names though... I'm not sure where it'd go, just a suggestion.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of using pronouns instead of gender labels! That seems more precise.

Merged Doublepost:

The Letter M:It may be redundant to point out to you, but for other readers of the thread I wanted to point out that you can also just not choose and have no gender indicator, like in real life.

Yeah, I know that this may sound weird, but even though that is my choice, it make me feel alienated as heck. Which is why "nonbinary" or (SQUEE!) a pronoun blank that you fill out, would feel better.
4 days ago, 4:27 AM #8
thirding the pronouns thing, some nonbinary people use pronouns that aren't they/them so it would be nice to go by that
4 days ago, 5:30 AM #9
DSW
Cheater
I'm also a fan of the pronouns under the username, and I think a ton of options for the symbol next to the username is also good. if you can have a lot of options to make people feel more at home I say do them all.
4 days ago, 5:36 AM #10
loved birds way before they were the word
The pronouns under the username is a great idea. People have referred to me with "they" pronouns even though I don't identify with them. Visibly displaying pronouns just makes things easier in general. If something makes people more comfortable, there's no reason not to do them unless they're related to finicky technical limitations.
4 days ago, 7:40 AM #11
Taking Names & Spitting Images
Nyomi:In all fairness, the only thing that the option changes is the little icon next to your name - it really doesn't have any bearing on the rest of the website, but I absolutely understand the concern.

Since that's the only thing that's affected, how would people feel if the words were removed and you just got to pick a visual icon, if you wanted one? Pink, blue, green or none. If people are in favor of adding pronouns as a new thing, I'm behind that also. Though I personally prefer to opt out of any gender labels generally speaking
4 days ago, 8:15 AM #12
I also vouch for pronouns. :3
4 days ago, 8:22 AM #13
As someone who is genderfluid, it feels super weird to call myself genderqueer. I want the icon there, because it makes it easier for people to use the right pronouns without having to like ask me outright, but I agree. Non-binary is the umbrella term in use nowadays. Genderqueer is a type of non-binary.

Edit: just saw some people posting about pronouns as an alternative and I think that’s an excellent solution, especially since it would take away the “gender icon” concept and just show your pronouns, which is why I even personally like it,
4 days ago, 10:06 AM #14
Kyo
🐊
yeah to be honest I have also thought about changing it to "non-binary" myself. It was requested/added quite a while back, and I too noticed that genderqueer has kind of fallen out of favor for non-binary since then, but i didn't really want to change it just based on my opinion of what the more common term was. Maybe we could have an additional option for pronouns for people who wanna specify em, and if you hover over the icon it shows you the pronouns, that way it doesn't clutter up the interface so much, but people can still get that info. I guess i'd have to add some sort of icon for people who have "undisclosed" selected but specify pronouns, maybe just a circle in a fourth color or something

I probably will make that change, unless anyone has any objections, in which case please post 'em
4 days ago, 11:41 AM #15
DSW
Cheater
another forum i use has pronouns underneath the avatar, and i think it's a nice catch-all.

my suggestion, in case adding a fourth bar below the "location" tab wouldn't work, would be to just swap out post numbers with the pronouns. we refer to each other by pronouns on the daily, but how often do you reference how many posts someone has?
4 days ago, 12:16 PM #16
DSW:another forum i use has pronouns underneath the avatar, and i think it's a nice catch-all.

my suggestion, in case adding a fourth bar below the "location" tab wouldn't work, would be to just swap out post numbers with the pronouns. we refer to each other by pronouns on the daily, but how often do you reference how many posts someone has?

its is still a nice to have 2495
4 days ago, 12:43 PM #17
I would like to be able to choose anything I want as a pronoun, so that would be a nice idea if we could do that
4 days ago, 6:44 PM #18
Taking Names & Spitting Images
Kyo:I guess i'd have to add some sort of icon

tiny gator tiny gator! :-D
4 days ago, 7:24 PM #19
Birb is the Worb
Not a nonbinary person, but I am queer and friends with quite a few nonbinary people. That's definitely seen as the more catch-all/commonly used term. I've been thinking it was a bit odd that the green option was labelled 'genderqueer' on this site for a while now. I've never known anyone to call themselves that before and I have a feeling that a lot of the people who use the green symbol use it to mean nonbinary anyway.

So yeah I'm in favour of the change. Or the pronouns thing could be cool.
4 days ago, 7:26 PM #20
Catgirl Connoisseur
callmerocket:tiny gator tiny gator! :-D

I second this! XD

I also like the idea of pronouns instead of post number.