Forum > General discussion > Should I present my Transformers series idea to Hasbro?
Pages: 1 2
"Should I present my Transformers series idea to Hasbro?", 9 days ago, 12:54 AM #1
All the details about my idea for a new kid friendly and non-violent Transformers TV series that is educational and fun are in my Tumblr post in this link here.

I got inspired by Rescue Bots as well as how Hasbro is now opening up to the idea of good Decepticons. I want to take it to the next level because the issue of there being a big difference between a nation and a terrorist group is one that is very realistic and many people can identify with it. More importantly, why should someone have to convert or change who they are in order to be accepted especially if they are law abiding good citizens? I wanted to make a series that doesn't just educate children about construction work, but also that being of a specific group (that includes Decepticons) doesn't make you good or bad. Your actions do.

I really think this series would be groundbreaking and I want it done, but I have a huge question, how should I go about it?

Should I present it to Hasbro first and then make a fancomic out of it if it doesn't get accepted? Or make the fancomic first, gain a following and then present it while showing it does indeed work?
9 days ago, 1:08 AM #2
No harm in trying! I say research to make sure you give yourself a solid shot. The worst they could say is no! And they can always change their mind if your idea turns out super successful!
9 days ago, 1:14 AM #3
Make sure you fully understand the legal ramifications of how you submit. In many cases, if you give unsolicited ideas to a creative entity, you give up any and all rights to those ideas to said entity.

I do not say this to deter you, but to help you make an informed decision. Good luck!
9 days ago, 1:25 AM #4
Hmm. This is the part that scares me. A lot.
9 days ago, 1:31 AM #5
As neat of an idea as this is, you gotta keep in mind that Hasbro's number 1 goal with the cartoons is to sell toys, not really to educate or teach morals. As good as a lot of the TF shows are, there are many incidences where you can tell Hasbro made the writers do something in order to sell toys.
Examples of this: The subplot where Smokes was going to take OP's place in Prime being completely abandoned so that Bumblebee could be advertised more. RID2K15 being way more kid-friendly than it's much darker predecessor despite being for the same age group. The whole "Autobots unite" power in Cybervers. The great G1 massacre of 1986. And perhaps also WFC being obnoxiously dark and gritty to the point of being dull (trying to appeal to teen and adult fans).

So, just keep that in mind.

Another thing you have to keep in mind, that a show like this could potentially end up competing with Rescue Bots. Hasbro would likely not take the risk if that's the case. And on top of all that, pitches are often extremely difficult to get greenlit in the first place.

Now, I'm not the kind of person who likes squishing dreams, so I won't tell you that it's impossible. But I would suggest that you think your plan through more. Perhaps wait for Rescue Bots to end first, and it would also help you get Hasbro's attention if you had some past experience writing kid's content under your belt. That sounds like a lot, and it is, but almost everyone has to start small before they achieve their dreams. It is totally possible you can write an official TF cartoon one day, it's just gonna take a lot of elbow grease to get there.

And of course, another option you have is making a fan-made cartoon, but that requires a butt-load of work and paying for resources.
9 days ago, 1:33 AM #6
I was actually thinking it could work with Rescue Bots or spin off of it, but I thought that Rescue Bots was already over.
9 days ago, 1:37 AM #7
I think Rescue Bots Academy is still going. Or at least the toys are still being sold (I see them at target quite often).
9 days ago, 1:40 AM #8
I am beginning to lean more towards making a free fancomic and then present professionally.
9 days ago, 1:43 AM #9
Yea, honestly it might be a lot easier for you. You'd also get a lot more creative freedom. And doing the comic will be really good practice for you too!
9 days ago, 1:48 AM #10
That and maybe just maybe, it will work out in enticing Hasbro.
9 days ago, 2:02 AM #11
It would take a lot of luck, but hey, nothing is impossible!

Just hope that Hasbro won't kill your project if it gets too popular. Fanart is technically illegal, however, most creators and companies will allow it or even encourage it because it's basically free advertising. But sometimes you'll also get companies like Nintendo and Disney that will get pissed at you if you make something fan-made that gets too popular.

The good news is, I've never heard of Hasbro doing that. In fact, there are even unofficial 3rd party toy manufacturers who create high-quality figures of characters who don't have any official ones yet. As well as figures of the more, er, "adult" variety.

I'd say if you do get popular, you have a pretty good chance of not getting in trouble, but it's still possible so tread carefully.
9 days ago, 2:49 AM #12
Hmm. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. Maybe I should keep this as a side project to present later on down the road after I have a following with my original work instead.
9 days ago, 2:55 AM #13
There have been people who've made fan content and have gotten hired by the thing they're a fan of. I even think there's this one artist in the TF fandom who got hired to do some IDW cover art. (a lot of her work was extremely NSFW too, so if she could get hired despite that, I don't think Hasbro would mind your kid-friendly fan comic lol)
9 days ago, 2:56 AM #14
Hmmmmmm. It is such a slippery slope though.
9 days ago, 3:03 AM #15
It is but, judging by Hasbro's track record of not retaliating against fans, you probably have a much safer bet than if you were to make let's say a Disney Princess fan comic that gets really huge.
You just never know when a creator/company might pull a JK Rowling and go, "Actually, I changed my mind. I hate my fans now!"

But this is all only IF your comic gets so popular that it becomes widely known in the fandom. (and the TF fandom is not small). The chances of ANYBODY's webcomic getting Homestuck-level famous are extremely slim, though not impossible. I'd say give it a shot if you're up to it. Regardless of how popular it gets, it will still give you experience!
9 days ago, 3:22 AM #16
-Research the many guides that exist online for composing and writing a pitch presentation.

-Get yourself an entertainment lawyer and tell them what your plan is

-Do you have any contacts at Hasbro? Does Hasbro retain the rights to the Transformers? They may have sold or optioned the characters to another entity. Make sure you're approaching the right company.

-As ccznen correctly pointed out, unsolicited ideas can simply be lifted. This is also why a lot of companies won't even hear unsolicited pitches from people- to avoid future legal hassles. Getting in the door and finding the right person to talk to are the hardest hurdles by far.

My advice to you? Why not create your own original series that's inspired by Transformers, develop the story and characters via a webcomic, and then have an original and self-owned property to pitch?
9 days ago, 3:26 AM #17
I have thought of doing that, but the problem with that is that it would still be an obvious copy and I am not comfortable doing that. Not unless it is satire which this story is not.

As for the other points, I need to sleep on this. Literally though right now in my mind, I am not ready to make any moves yet other than just write and draw for the fun of it.

Maybe I am still to new at my career to take risks like this. First, I will finish my current project, then my second and during my third, I will get back to it.
9 days ago, 3:31 AM #18
MK_Wizard:I have thought of doing that, but the problem with that is that it would still be an obvious copy

Why? I mean, giant transforming robots isn't a new concept. Of course it'll be reminiscent of its inspiration, but it doesn't have to be any kind of copycat. How many sword, wizard, and dragon fantasies are there? How many space operas? How many grim barbarians? How many zombie apocalypses? How many romantic comedies?

You can do it!

Working with other peoples' characters is a lot harder for this sort of thing than having an original property, because you don't have control over the ownership and licensing arrangements. Years ago I worked on a comics adaptation of a RPG property. The teaser pages were well-received and I thought we had a green light. Then the owner of the RPG optioned the rights to a production company and everything was on hold because there was confusion over whether he retained the comic rights. After years of wrangling, another, bigger company bought the rights from the other company and it all disappeared into their singularity. This is always a risk when working with others' characters.
9 days ago, 3:32 AM #19
MK_Wizard:All the details about my idea for a new kid friendly and non-violent Transformers TV series that is educational and fun are in my Tumblr post in this link here.

I got inspired by Rescue Bots as well as how Hasbro is now opening up to the idea of good Decepticons. I want to take it to the next level because the issue of there being a big difference between a nation and a terrorist group is one that is very realistic and many people can identify with it. More importantly, why should someone have to convert or change who they are in order to be accepted especially if they are law abiding good citizens? I wanted to make a series that doesn't just educate children about construction work, but also that being of a specific group (that includes Decepticons) doesn't make you good or bad. Your actions do.

I really think this series would be groundbreaking and I want it done, but I have a huge question, how should I go about it?

Should I present it to Hasbro first and then make a fancomic out of it if it doesn't get accepted? Or make the fancomic first, gain a following and then present it while showing it does indeed work?

If the fancomic or the show ever ends up happening, cool beans!! I liked Rescue bots, and this idea sounds unique, I bet you could do a lot with it.

9 days ago, 4:13 AM #20
One point I don't think has been mentioned here: if you're submitting any kind of story idea to an entertainment company, whether it's comics, TV, film, videogames or whatever, they will NOT even look at it unless you do so via a professional agent.
Storm Over Whoomera (NSFW, nudity) Comic Fury | Renderosity (first page)
Created by Ed Kline, co-writer Lee M. Now sadly defunct, but the archive remains.
Forum > General discussion > Should I present my Transformers series idea to Hasbro?
Pages: 1 2