Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Entire Chapter as an Update?
Pages: 1
"Entire Chapter as an Update?", 12 days ago, 1:54 AM #1
What do y'all think of the idea of having an entire chapter as an update? Do you like that idea or like releasing pages days or week at a time better?
12 days ago, 2:03 AM #2
I've thought about it but I think it would be a bad idea. The update would be a bit longer than people would be willing to sit and read in one sitting and you take away their ability to bookmark it.

I maybe break it down into large chunks?

Or a page a week is a pretty reliable method
12 days ago, 2:06 AM #3
When I debuted my comic on here a couple months ago, I had the entirety of the first episode, a whopping 44 pages complete and in my pocket as a backlog. Then I thought "EEEHHH I'll just post 'em all at once!"

I got alot of views and ZERO subs/comments. It wasn't until I began ep. 2 and regularly scheduled uploads that I got some eyes looking my way. It's simple, you're dumping your whole archive that you have to spend weeks, even months building up, only to be on the front page, being seen by potential new readers for like 20 minutes and then start all over, VS. regularly posting updates every so often and regularly being seen on the front page by potential new people for that same 20 minutes. The latter makes way more sense to me, and I think your regular readers will appreciate it better, you wanna keep your comic fresh in their brains, too.

Unless you already have a huge archive of completed chapters...which is a different story.
12 days ago, 2:13 AM #4
Better to pace them out because, if nothing else, you get exposure on the front page more often which is how a lot of people find new comics. When I was backing up old completed comics to CF, I'd upload 1-3 pages a day (depending on how long the comic was).

Also I tend to forget about comics if they don't update for awhile. I sort of lose investment and just forget what happens. Frequent updates is good for keeping folks hooked.
12 days ago, 2:14 AM #5
There was actually a writeup about the logistics of bulk updates. It basically boils down to the same thing others here have said: uploading all at once gives a big chunk for readers to chew on, but you sacrifice a lot in front-page exposure.

While I do sort of like bigger updates, myself, I definitely support the "long strategy", spacing things out to keep things fresh for the readers and get more time in the public eye.
12 days ago, 2:17 AM #6
I can explain
I've noticed that a lot of comics that do this tend to die.

(I mean, webcomics in general drift off into the Eternal Hiatus more often than not, but particularly ones that batch updates like this.)

I think it has something to do with feedback. Post a page, you get an audience reaction. Post ten pages at once, you still only get one reaction. You feel like you're accomplishing less. And readers likely feel like you're posting less content in total, even if you're posting more if you average it out. Psychologically, it's harder to notice things when they're bundled together than when they're separate. And this is on top of the exposure things others have noted.

Now, "a page at a time" is kind of vague advice, because how big is a page? Some comics post a single-row four-panel strip as a page, others are towering scrolling monstrosities with scores of panels. Some comics even make every panel a separate page.

So what I suggest is each update should be as small as possible while containing a meaningful reward for the reader. In a gag comic, every update needs a punchline. In a narrative comic, every update needs to advance the plot in some way - there needs to be some development that moves things forward. There should be something there that a reader could comment on - not just an idle "wow new update thx!" but "ooh, I wonder where this is going, could it be <>? or <>?". For some comics, that might be half a page, for other comics that might be two dozen "pages".
12 days ago, 11:21 PM #7
I recommend only doing this at the start if you have to get through like 10 pages to show a premise. After that, hold onto that buffer, your future self will thank you very much. In general readers that want huge updates might not read for weeks to binge later, so it would end up being the same to them.
12 days ago, 11:28 PM #8
GuyPercinn:When I debuted my comic on here a couple months ago, I had the entirety of the first episode, a whopping 44 pages complete and in my pocket as a backlog. Then I thought "EEEHHH I'll just post 'em all at once!"

I got alot of views and ZERO subs/comments. It wasn't until I began ep. 2 and regularly scheduled uploads that I got some eyes looking my way. It's simple, you're dumping your whole archive that you have to spend weeks, even months building up, only to be on the front page, being seen by potential new readers for like 20 minutes and then start all over, VS. regularly posting updates every so often and regularly being seen on the front page by potential new people for that same 20 minutes. The latter makes way more sense to me, and I think your regular readers will appreciate it better, you wanna keep your comic fresh in their brains, too.

Unless you already have a huge archive of completed chapters...which is a different story.

I feel so bad when I see new comics here from people moving from another site and they just plop their whole archive, hundreds or over a thousand pages all at once. When I moved last year I did the first two or three chapters all in one chunk, then did a chapter a day, then when I got to my then-current chapter I uploaded a page a day til I was caught up. My readers and comments and subs increased GREATLY during the daily updates. It felt really encouraging especially after posting the first few chapters and jt kind of going over like a quiet fart
11 days ago, 12:46 AM #9
Only just joined the site a few days ago and lumped about 6 years of pages in one go - understandably i doubt it's gonna get much traction on here until I update on a steady and regular pace.

Personally, I feel chapters in chunks can be a bit overwhelming (and yet I just did that with my comic ToD like a hypocritical bogey), mostly because people might skim read over a lot of it in an effort to be "up to date" but then ironically not take in as much as you hope.
And also like mentioned before by GMan003, you may get less interaction overall with big updates in comparison and it might feel like you're not doing good enough (spoiler: You Are, keep trotting at your own pace).
11 days ago, 9:27 PM #10
As someone who doesn't post until a chapter is done: Absolutely do not dump the chapter all at once. When you do that, people will read it in about 10 minutes, then go away. Schedule the pages out. Each new post is an opportunity to promote the comic. And a chance to reach more readers. Plus, you can be posting while working on the next chapter. That shortens the hiatus time between chapters and lessens the chance of being forgotten.