Forum > Community Projects & Art Trades > Think Tank Schnittstelle 23
Pages: 1 2 3
"Think Tank Schnittstelle 23", 4th Feb 2021, 12:03 PM #1
So far this is a discussion place for all questions concerning crossovers and cooperations between the comic worlds of Stilldown, Lirvilas, Microraptor and the creators of Autuum Bay. These will involve the comics Theater Of The Bloody Tongue/Ariane's Personal Place, Grinders$, Cryptida and all spinoff comics.
We can discuss crossover ideas here or ask and answer details about characters, places or any other detail. Spoilers might be used for planned projekts, or Pms for still secret information.
We are not a secret society. Any newcomer who contributed crossovers to all four webcomic worlds (this does not include official exchanges or a casual cameo) will be welcome, too.

About the name: Schnittstelle 23 is a passive Hotspot coexisting in a number of worlds. More about that later.
Before I post my list of questions, here some helpful links.
Arianish: Ariane's slang for getting her was of talking right.
Glossar: Informations about Theater Of The Bloody Tongue.
Characters: Characters In TOBT.

Here are the magic und multiverse rules, including a list of electromagic devices. Will be updated. No link, so the full text is spoilered for length.

Merged Doublepost:

Some announcements.
- I like to finish the current chapter of TOBT with...

So a number of questions.

- Keisha. Any facts about her family or biography yet I should take care off? I had an idea how I imagine her mother, maybe meeting Keisha inbetween.
- What food does Keisha like?
- Babette and friends will stay a week at a friends/ relatives house in france at a lake (usually the house is for rent for tourists.) while the airship is to be repaired. Any preferences about this friend/relatives identity?
- Babette. How does she generally think of Ariane? They will spent some time together. Cleo is a friend of Ariane – how will Babette and others react to that friendship?

Something very different, regarding the fate of the 4 evil exocharacters from the TOBT story; Little Alex, Pink, Boji Boy and cousin Kevin. We know that Pink was killed by Ethel Meyerlinkh after Ariane kicked him down a shaft at Endkampf.

More questions soon, although some ideas about Schnittstelle 23 and a covent of (possible hostile) wizards meeting there.
4th Feb 2021, 6:42 PM #2
Venture Capitalist
Here’s the visual sourcebook me and Micro use.

As for my overarching guidance for my stuff:
-“On screen” magic DOES NOT exist.
-The narrator is assumed to be unreliable.
-At all times characters will wear appropriate footwear.
4th Feb 2021, 7:46 PM #3
the only safe place is the top shelf
Stilldown:So a number of questions.

- Keisha. Any facts about her family or biography yet I should take care off? I had an idea how I imagine her mother, maybe meeting Keisha inbetween.
- What food does Keisha like?
- Babette and friends will stay a week at a friends/ relatives house in france at a lake (usually the house is for rent for tourists.) while the airship is to be repaired. Any preferences about this friend/relatives identity?
- Babette. How does she generally think of Ariane? They will spent some time together. Cleo is a friend of Ariane – how will Babette and others react to that friendship?

- As of yet, I have not much background info about Keisha Becquerel.
I'd say she is a French national, thus her family is probably originally stemming from an African country that is a former French colony.

- Thus she'd be most familiar with French and African cuisine.
(Though of course that doesn't preclude her having developed fondness for some food item from a completely different culture.)

- Regarding the place in France for staying a week, there are two options...
1. We got to know the farm of Babette's family in Chapter 22. While a lake was nowhere to be seen, that doesn't mean that there isn't one nearby. On the other hand, it's explicitly not a touristy place. Also, Babette's technophobic father may rather dislike the presence of an airship on his grounds - though that could be beneficial for the plot again, because it provides an additional source of conflict.
2. The alternative location would be Pont-de-la-Mort, from waaayyy back in Chapter 4! (Since then I have developed the habit of labeling wine bottles as coming from there.) It's named after a nearby bridge, suggesting the presence of a body of water - perhaps a river that flows into a lake? Maybe the mayor of this town, Jean-Baptiste Cuvier, owes Babette a favor, out of gratitude that she helped catching the Beast of Gévaudan...

- Babette's opinion regarding Ariane would probably be... mixed. On the one hand, Babette is "goody two-shoes" enough that she would object to at least to some of the stuff that Ariane does. On the other hand though, Babette's fondness for retro stuff could help establish common ground with Ariane.
Also, the person who tends to object the strongest against Cleo being friends to "unusual" people like Camilla, Ariane, etc. is Tarik, firstly out of a protective instinct, secondly because he doesn't want Cleo's mother (his sister) to get angry at him. Babette though would see that considerably more relaxed.
4th Feb 2021, 9:21 PM #4
lirvilas:Here’s the visual sourcebook me and Micro use.

As for my overarching guidance for my stuff:
-“On screen” magic DOES NOT exist.
-The narrator is assumed to be unreliable.
-At all times characters will wear appropriate footwear.

Well, appropriate footwear is no problem. Ariane's favourite brand of shoes are "Eldritch Heels", but she wears all nice high-heeled shoes that her supporters buy for her.
- unreliable narrators are available.
Magic: Let's assume Ariame is a good at deceiving and tricks, like the innovative ladies of the seance era (ectoplasma made from silk, etc.) And Grand Guignot Theater literally invented splatter and gore effects, so she has some tricks up her sleave.

Merged Doublepost:

Microraptor:- As of yet, I have not much background info about Keisha Becquerel.
I'd say she is a French national, thus her family is probably originally stemming from an African country that is a former French colony.

My idea was that Keisha's mother is slim and talked youn Keisha out of her plans to become dancer and actress, because she thought she didn't have the physical shap for it, and made her go to the science college instead. So Keisha might see a chance to prove all of her qualities.
- Regarding the place in France for staying a week, there are two options...

Microraptor:
1. We got to know the farm of Babette's family in Chapter 22. While a lake was nowhere to be seen, that doesn't mean that there isn't one nearby. On the other hand, it's explicitly not a touristy place. Also, Babette's technophobic father may rather dislike the presence of an airship on his grounds - though that could be beneficial for the plot again, because it provides an additional source of conflict.
2. The alternative location would be Pont-de-la-Mort, from waaayyy back in Chapter 4! (Since then I have developed the habit of labeling wine bottles as coming from there.) It's named after a nearby bridge, suggesting the presence of a body of water - perhaps a river that flows into a lake? Maybe the mayor of this town, Jean-Baptiste Cuvier, owes Babette a favor, out of gratitude that she helped catching the Beast of Gévaudan...

Option two should work.

Microraptor:
- Babette's opinion regarding Ariane would probably be... mixed. On the one hand, Babette is "goody two-shoes" enough that she would object to at least to some of the stuff that Ariane does. On the other hand though, Babette's fondness for retro stuff could help establish common ground with Ariane.
Also, the person who tends to object the strongest against Cleo being friends to "unusual" people like Camilla, Ariane, etc. is Tarik, firstly out of a protective instinct, secondly because he doesn't want Cleo's mother (his sister) to get angry at him. Babette though would see that considerably more relaxed.

I assume Tarik is yet scared to go shopping clothes with Cleo, after she burst into tears in the shop the last time he tried to chose some clothes for her.
4th Feb 2021, 9:37 PM #5
Stilldown:Magic: Let's assume Ariame is a good at deceiving and tricks, like the innovative ladies of the seance era (ectoplasma made from silk, etc.) And Grand Guignot Theater literally invented splatter and gore effects, so she has some tricks up her sleave.

I think a good example of what lirv means with his "no on screen magic" rule is how he handled Mercy Black (who in AB uses magic quite extensively) in Flyover Country - like e.g. in this page: Did she actually jinx Kreddible, or was this just a pure coincidence?

Merged Doublepost:

Stilldown:Option two should work.

OK then!
Other things we know about the town:
- The most important inn is the Auberge de la Guillotine, and it seems the local newspaper is named Courrier du Matin.
- Apparently, they're producing red wine.
- The famous gentleman master thief Antoine Duval was born there in 1882, so they probably have a statue of him somewhere...
5th Feb 2021, 12:28 PM #6
Schnittstelle 23 is the name of a passive Hotspot in the world of TotBT. Meaning, it coexists in different worlds, but can develope different there.
It looks exactly like an abandoned version of the "Institut of Hygiene" by Fehling & Gogel of the Charite in Berlin-Lichterfelde, an example of consequente brutalism. (Not to be confused with the infamous "Mäusebunker/ Mice bunker" by Hänska located on the same campus. I think the "Mäusebunker" would be a good headquarter for the villain Insektor 68 described below.). It is abandoned, but has a lot of magic gates there (including some adjustable ones), so it is used as kind of interdimensional station by interdimensional travelers. There are chances to meet people there, but there are no steady inhabitants. The large building contains an abandoned comic-shop and a bar, occasionally used for gatherings. There is a desolate looking Suuronen Futuro house on the top of the roof, but no access to it.
In fact the Futuro on the roof is the meeting place of the "Sector Futuro Group", a convention of mighty more or less sinister Wizards. They have some interest to capture Ariane because they hope to tap a source of enormous magic power linked to N the Faceless One that Ariane isn't even aware of. Luckily, the wizards can't get direct hold of her because she is protected by a permanent protection spell that "N" aka the "Faceless One" aka Nyarlathotep aka "Crawling Chaos" once casted on her. Ariane is neither aware of the protection spell or Sector Futuro Group.
So far I have only two characters of those wizards made. One of them is the Alexander IV-Savonarola-Borgia-Manster, the other one a magician called Insektor 68, based on the infamous picture of a ritual by the dutch Insektensekte. (I mean this guy.)
I haven't figured out the other members (it will include the mysterious master of the four exocharacters), so I am open for suggestions and cameos here. In a non-magic setting, this could just be some nonmagic villainous freaks like the Bogeyman.
Any ideas for cameos of characters here? (No clumsy amateur villains; these guys are powerful and skilled.)
5th Feb 2021, 7:53 PM #7
A villain from my comic that I've neglected for quite a while is Dr. Strontium, who uses the Crown of Atlantis for telekinesis and other physics-defying powers.
(I don't know to what degree you'd count him as a "clumsy amateur villain" however. Most of my villains do some stupid blunders sooner or later...)

Or did you mean cameos from pop culture in general?
In this case... what about Saruman from Lord of The Rings?
5th Feb 2021, 8:38 PM #8
As much as I love pop culture reference and will keep using them, I thought about made up characters for that wizard circle. Of course they can use more or less obvious influences from the pop culture, though. As example, I wouldn't use Fantomas as one of them, but the villian could use the mask of the postmodern Marais interpretation.
For the amateur standard, Ytterblum wouldn't be qualified enough, I think. I must check on Dr. Strontium.
5th Feb 2021, 9:39 PM #9
A bit more info about Dr. Strontium:

- The basic idea about this character was that magic for manipulating physics would be extra dangerous in the hands of an unscrupulous scientist who knows the laws of physics in and out.

- Strontium has a loyal assistant, the very shy Niobe Sand, who secretly has a crush on him.
(Here the idea is that one day Strontium may do something so hideous that it brings her undying loyalty to serious a test...)
One quirk of Niobe is that she always walks around wearing blue lab gloves.

- As of now, none of my characters (except some of the villains) even know that he is evil!

- One of the reasons that I haven't used Strontium in a long time is that with the crown, he's become a bit too overpowered for most of my other characters.

- His debut (starting here) is in Chapter 9, where he discusses evil plans with Dr. Ytterbium in his private parlor within the university.

- He then had a short appearance (starting here) in the next chapter, helping some other villains.

- In Chapter 13, he learns that Ytterbium got amnesia and thinks she is superhero, and he hatches the plan to manipulate her into stealing a magical artifact for him. (His whole involvement in this chapter is starting here.)
This is all before he got the crown, and his desire for getting a magic artifact into his possession foreshadows that.
Unfortunately though, this chapter also has the so far worst case of him being defeated by his own stupid blunder...

- And least but not least, Strontium has his big villain day in Chapter 16 (his involvement starting here), raiding a ToyCo facility for gaining an overpowered wand.
Here he finally has the crown! (How did he get that? The original owner sold it on the internet! See here and here.)
5th Feb 2021, 10:05 PM #10
It might be quite some time until I come to that episode, anyway, I try to visualize Strontium an any actor I know. Robert Vaughn, as younger guy? Ray Milland? Or William Gaunt (Champions)?
6th Feb 2021, 12:16 AM #11
I'd say young Robert Vaughn is a relative good match, with William Gaunt being close second.
6th Feb 2021, 1:06 AM #12
Hello i popped here for no reason and i am gonna lurk, k bye
6th Feb 2021, 3:14 AM #13
Stilldown, I have a question regarding a completely different topic:

Can you suggest to me some cars (or other street vehicles) that are appropriate for the setting (Germany 1926) of my current Cryptida chapter?
6th Feb 2021, 9:31 AM #14
I'll add a full list of 1920ies cars here today.

Merged Doublepost:

Some german cars around 1926:
Audi Typ M 1923 - 1928
Adler Standard 6 (1927 - 1933)
Brennabor AS (1926-1931)
Daimler Mercedes 24/100 1924-
Dixi 6/24 PS
Dürkopp P8A
Elite S18 1921 - 1928
Hanomag 2/10 Kommißbrot (1925-28)
Hansa-Lloyd Trumpf As Serie1 1925-28
Horch 10M21 (1921-26)
Maybach W3 1921 - 1925
Mercedes-Benz 24/100/140 PS (1926-)
Mollmobil Kleinstauto 1924
NAG C4b Sporttourer
NAG D4 (1923-26)
NSU 5/15 1913-1926
NSU 14/40 1921-25
Opel 4/12 (1924 - 1931)aka "Laubfrosch"
Opel 8/25 1920 - 22
Phänomen Dreirad 1918
Pluto (1924-28)
Protos
Simson-Supra R12/16PS 1926
Szawe 10-38 PSTourenwagen 1921
Szawe 110-38PS Tourenwagen 1922
Stoewer D3
Stoewer D9V (1925-27)
Wanderer W10

There were also some foreign cars in germany, many american.
For other vehicles, you will certainly find motorbikes (there were countless brands in that time), bicycles (looking like today, still less on the road then you might expect, making less nuisance then today) and some horsedrawn vehicles for delivery.
But you would be lucky too see some more exotic vehicles that started becoming less in the 1930ies and started to vanish more and more in the postwar time. This included:
- dog carts, used often by peddlers and small delivery, dog meat was still consumed in the 1920ies, too.
- steam traction engines. Steamlorries and cars were rare in germany and more popular in england. (Where steam vehicles were still on the road in the 1950ies.)
- muscle powered tiny cars for one or two people. They were quite rare, but existed, looking much more stylish then the ridiculous versions of today.
- the motorized versions of the delivery bicycles (a box with two frontwheels.)
- if you were extremly lucky, some exotic prototypes or DIY "cars" (monotracked cars, monowheels, streamline prototypes, etc.). It was possible to test them on the road back then, and there wasn't the bloody TÜV-terror yet either.
- some surviving vehicles of earlier decades.

Merged Doublepost:

PS: And the size difference of cars was more extreme in the 1920ies then in any other decade ever.
6th Feb 2021, 2:27 PM #15
Thanks very much!
That will be very helpful!
6th Feb 2021, 3:51 PM #16
Then some questions for Lirvilas.
How would this persons react to Ariane? (Even if Ariane had no access to practical magic in the world, she would have contacts to all kind of weird cultists just for kicks, and spice up her theater shows with a lot of black magic witchcraft aesthetics, like sacrifices, demon evocations, black masses, etc.)

Unlikely she will meet all this people, but just in case:
- Chuck
- Tyler Ashley and his wife
- Dr. Ashton
- MJ Stonecastle
- CEO Drake
- Augustus alexander
- Mrs. Schibel

(plus some I might have forgot.)

And how old is Mrs. Schibel (just academic question?) I assumed mid50ies.
10th Feb 2021, 5:29 PM #17
Venture Capitalist
apologies for the delay, life has been absolutely kicking my ass

- Chuck would throw the grocery money at her and later get in no small amount of trouble at home
- Tyler Ashley and Carol Anne are outwardly living the dream, but are privately high level Starry Wisdom cult leaders and might actually have quite a bit of interest in hanging out with Ariane after the kids have been put to bed
- Dr. Ashton does not hang out in those circles
- MJ Stonecastle would not have nice things to say because witches are wankers
- CEO Drake would treat her like an amusing object, just like he treats everybody else
- Augustus Alexander does not travel in those circles
- Mrs. Schibel is a minor, throwaway character, probably in her mid to late 40's because rural American Midwesterners bloom early and fade quickly
10th Feb 2021, 9:39 PM #18
lirvilas:[/i]
- Mrs. Schibel is a minor, throwaway character, probably in her mid to late 40's because rural American Midwesterners bloom early and fade quickly

I love women in their forties, apologies if I got her age wrong. And I have the feeling that Ariane would feel tempted to kick some shinbones of people telling her not to disturb their circles...
10th Feb 2021, 10:15 PM #19
Venture Capitalist
While I stand by my statement, since both are very private individuals who work behind many layers of institutional security, I would also note that Alexander and Ashton are not my original characters. Their behaviors and attitudes result from conversations with Prof.

Sure sure I've played it fast and loose with both characters. Such writing is like the treacherous ice at the edge of a winter lake.
10th Feb 2021, 10:18 PM #20
I am quite guilty of rather free interpretation of borrowed characters, too.... speaking of women in their forties, I haven't presented my interpretation of Keisha's mother yet.
Forum > Community Projects & Art Trades > Think Tank Schnittstelle 23
Pages: 1 2 3