Forum > Community Projects & Art Trades > Now Accepting Submissions! Comic Fury Zine, NSFW Edition (Comics, Cover Contest, Splashpage Character)
Pages: 1 2
"Now Accepting Submissions! Comic Fury Zine, NSFW Edition (Comics, Cover Contest, Splashpage Character)", 9 days ago, 9:39 PM #1
It's that time!

Comic Fury Zine is now accepting submissions for the summer 2021 Not Safe For Work zine!

This summer's theme is:
NIGHTLIFE IN THE CITY

We want your submissions! But, because of the sensitive nature of NSFW material, we are not accepting submissions from minors! If you're legally an adult, then please check out this thread!!

For Submission details, please read the "spoilered" rules. If you have any questions, you may ask here or send us an e-mail at comicfuryzine@gmail.com

Spot Counter for Issue 3 submissions:
1) Stilldown
2) BlueDragon (will remove if we get a waiting list)
3) Jean_Q_Citizen
4) Kokoneos
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)

Want to see examples of the Zine?
For reference, here are the Zine links:
No. 1
No. 2

You can also check out our Comic Fury site here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Zine Submission Rules—Deadline for application is April 22, 2021

Cover Contest Rules—Deadline for Cover Submissions is May 1, 2021

Splash Page Characters—Deadline May 31, 2021

Creator Quotes—Deadline May 31, 2021

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Have a question? Don't be shy! If you have a question, others may as well. So ask here, or send us an e-mail at comicfuryzine@gmail.com (although posting your question here is super helpful, because others may have the same question).

Disclaimer:
If you are going to participate in anything regarding the zine, you must include a statement confirming you agree with your submission being shared as a Non-commercial, no derivatives, attribution required Creative Commons Licensing (CCL). This is so the Zine, in its entirety, can be shared by anyone (not for profit) and distributed to as many people as possible to help drive readers to our community and your comics :3

Privacy Policy (We use Google and Comic Fury).
An individual may submit/apply in any of these categories! Ie: someone sending in a comic application may also particpate in the Cover Contest and Splash Page.
All submissions/applications must be sent to comicfuryzine@gmail.com, and I will update this thread as spots get filled.

The team (in alphabetical order):
BlueDragon
Megamaster

If you want to volunteer for Comic Fury Zine team, send us an e-mail with what you're interested in doing/capable of doing. This is all volunteer work/labor of love. There is no pay. If you volunteer, we'll work with your schedule (you can do as little, or as much as you like: I am flexible). If you're interested, we can talk via e-mail (comicfuryzine@gmail.com).
9 days ago, 10:43 PM #2
Are you looking for a NSFW theme for the cover? I'm wanting to join in on the zine train but I don't really draw explicit nudity / sex acts.

If "night life" is good enough, then this could be a great fit for Terrestrial since I'm thinking about launching the comic this year, potentially mid-to-late summer. :D

Otherwise I can always catch the winter zine
8 days ago, 12:46 AM #3
The cover doesn't have to be nsfw (and probably shouldn't be, since it will be shared on twitter). It can be suggestive, but doesn't need to be "dirty" or violent.

Great question! I'll update that in the rules in a few minutes.
8 days ago, 7:34 AM #4
I show some interest in joining, so I am on the list and see what other comics will join. I might cancel in time if I think my style would not fit.
8 days ago, 6:38 PM #5
Wonderful! To get put down on the list of nine, we just need thumbnails, or a storyboard of the story you intend to draft (this gives the artists a leg up and also allows us to make sure the comic will fall in line with Comic Fury rules).

We look forward to seeing your idea! :D And you may drop out if you decide you don't want to particpate. Please just give us a bit of warning :)
8 days ago, 8:42 PM #6
I made the text and sketches for four pages, so far, but I intended to do a fifth page with cameos (sfw), but I am not sure for whom yet.
8 days ago, 10:52 PM #7
Fantastic! The thumbnails look great!

Merged Doublepost:

Just an FYI (since we've had questions in the past): thumbnails/drafts/sketches/storyboards don't have to be super detailed. They just need to be clear enough for us to know what's going on :3

Here's a sample of my messy thumbnails (spoilered...for crappy sketchy boobies?) Uh...maybe make the text a little more legible than I did XD I can read my own mess! These are also a touch smaller than what I sent in, just to fit the forum boards.

One week ago, 7:46 AM #8
I'm interested in this. I can send along a script in the next couple days. It'll have to be one of my commission artists since my regular one doesn't do NSFW, so I hope that's not a problem.
One week ago, 3:42 PM #9
I started drawing already, so even if I really should drop off, I will release it on my own page. For the first page (all sfw) I could fit some cameos of people before a hotel. The female roles are taken, but I could add some elegant dressed (human) men, and a porter (not to young, large guy. You know, Jannings body type.)
One week ago, 7:55 PM #10
^Cool beans! We certainly encourage the artists to post their own work if they like :3

Jean_Q_Citizen:I'm interested in this. I can send along a script in the next couple days. It'll have to be one of my commission artists since my regular one doesn't do NSFW, so I hope that's not a problem.

Not a problem! Just make sure whoever sends the script/draft says we have permission to distribute the completed submission (legal stuff, so no one gets burned: you'd think sending it in would be enough to say "you can use it," but it's the 21st century XD).
6 days ago, 4:29 PM #11
Update: I haven't started on the sfw/cameo page, but I just finished the other four pages.
6 days ago, 8:00 PM #12
That's awesome! I look forward to seeing the first draft :D

Just an FYI, if you get pages done early, feel free to send them in for the grammatical edits, and we can get them back within a week (early is always good, but people have up until the deadline).
6 days ago, 8:55 PM #13
It’s been awhile since I caught up with what’s going on with the community zine stuff — so cool about cover art contests, I might like to try that sometime!

And that creator quote thing looks interesting - how does one send a quote, is it just to the email address? And is there a specific sort of format for the quote (ie, does it have to start with “Dear Comic Fury Zine” or something? Haha)

(Edit) Oh I just noticed the NSFW thing - I guess it’s optional, right?

6 days ago, 9:27 PM #14
BlueDragon:That's awesome! I look forward to seeing the first draft :D

Just an FYI, if you get pages done early, feel free to send them in for the grammatical edits, and we can get them back within a week (early is always good, but people have up until the deadline).

Uploading; I'll send the four pages in a PM. The first page will follow as soon if I know if there will be cameos; If I should cancel, I'll tell.
5 days ago, 12:11 AM #15
ShaRose49:I might like to try that sometime!

Please do! :3

ShaRose49:
how does one send a quote, is it just to the email address? And is there a specific sort of format for the quote (ie, does it have to start with “Dear Comic Fury Zine” or something? Haha)

Yup, you can just send your quotes to comicfuryzine@gmail.com. Please include your handle, and any comic(s) you'd like linked (it'll just be the comic title that's linked, and your handle/name would be linked to you CF profile).

Quotes can be whatever. They don't have to be NSFW XD Just whatever thoughts you'd like to share.

The cover should be moderately SFW, if you wanted to submit for the contest (just since when shared, it'll be previewed most likely).

ShaRose49:

(Edit) Oh I just noticed the NSFW thing - I guess it’s optional, right?

If you'd like to submit for this zine, you don't have to have nudity/sex/language/violence, but just know that your comic will only be seen by people who are comfortable with NSFW content. But the submission itself can be however wild, or however tame the author(s)/artist(s) want :D

Once the deadline passes, I'll be figuring out how to layout the comics, and match similar styles/topics/genres/whatever together the best I can. Like last zine, I was able to keep the colored comics/slice of life together, and the black and white/mostly black and white action comics together. So, will be mindful of that :D
5 days ago, 1:08 AM #16
I'm thinking of doing something for all three categories- but I'm stumped on what I could do/say in 2-5 pages lol
Was thinking maybe take a bit from Terran's past that isn't exactly covered in the comic?

But I'm gonna hopefully come up with an idea while I work on the collage this week <3
5 days ago, 1:34 AM #17
BlueDragon:

The cover should be moderately SFW, if you wanted to submit for the contest (just since when shared, it'll be previewed most likely).

If you'd like to submit for this zine, you don't have to have nudity/sex/language/violence, but just know that your comic will only be seen by people who are comfortable with NSFW content. But the submission itself can be however wild, or however tame the author(s)/artist(s) want :D

Once the deadline passes, I'll be figuring out how to layout the comics, and match similar styles/topics/genres/whatever together the best I can. Like last zine, I was able to keep the colored comics/slice of life together, and the black and white/mostly black and white action comics together. So, will be mindful of that :D

Hm okay.

Would it be possible to arrange the different submissions or whatnot in a way where the nsfw stuff and the sfw stuff are in separate sections? I don’t have a problem with people who read nsfw reading my comic, but I wouldn’t want people to think that my comics are nsfw.

5 days ago, 6:21 AM #18
Kokoneos:I'm thinking of doing something for all three categories- but I'm stumped on what I could do/say in 2-5 pages lol
Was thinking maybe take a bit from Terran's past that isn't exactly covered in the comic?

But I'm gonna hopefully come up with an idea while I work on the collage this week <3

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :D

ShaRose49:Hm okay.

Would it be possible to arrange the different submissions or whatnot in a way where the nsfw stuff and the sfw stuff are in separate sections? I don’t have a problem with people who read nsfw reading my comic, but I wouldn’t want people to think that my comics are nsfw.

Okay I need to edit this. I sometimes respond without thinking[. I apologize for this edit

So I want to backtrack, and I'm going to post a comment below, too, in case you don't see the edit.

My thoughts on this: I want to have two sections, with the Featured Artist separating the two sections. Because NSFW encompasses not only sex and nudity, but also violence/gore and foul language, I think the action/violent comics would fit better in their own section.

I stand by my original comment that people can be tame, or wild, as they feel comfortable. But I should say that since this is the NSFW work zine, submissions should be a little edger, since we've had two zines that censored and omitted NSFW content. Our first zine we made one of the creators tone down the gore specifically to fit the SFW guidelines, so I feel it may be a bit...disrespectful now flip and say flat out send in Safe for Work submissions and we'll just split them.

That's my fault for not thinking before responding.

But at the same time, I understand not wanting to mislead people into thinking that a comic on CF is NSFW when it is not.

My compromise:

It is fine for artists with Safe for work comics to submit a comic that is NFSW either through use of any of the tags (Violence/gore; nudity/sex; foul language/adult subjects/talk). Violence does not mean it has to be gory.

All contributors will have their comic banner linked, as well as their handle. It will be clearly noted whether or not the comic hosted on Comic Fury is NSFW or SFW, and what tags they have (yellow violence/red violence, etc).

I know there have been people waiting for a NSFW zine for a while, and we did go two zines without allowing the tags, so I think it's fair to expect submissions to have more mature content: whether it be fights, or language or nudity.

I apologize for responding before thinking about this. It was unprofessional to have to come back and edit. I hope I have not offended anyone.

This is not regarding the cover: the cover can be racy, but not too racy as I mentioned it'll be previewed in posts on social media, and I don't want people getting in trouble for sharing full frontal nudity.

Edit:

Below is my original response for transparency purposes. I don't like editing my response without allowing people to see the original content.

5 days ago, 7:41 AM #19
Okay, sent you a PM with the script for Alvery and Saturday's Date Night, let me know if it's all right.
5 days ago, 8:22 AM #20
That script is delightful! I look forward to seeing the drafts :3

Merged Doublepost:

All right, I answered a question I got too fast, and didn't think through the repercussions or how tone change would completely flip. I edited that comment, but I'm also going to post this again here to make sure everyone following the thread sees this.

So I want to backtrack, and I'm going to post a comment below, too, in case you don't see the edit.

My thoughts on this: I want to have two sections, with the Featured Artist separating the two sections. Because NSFW encompasses not only sex and nudity, but also violence/gore and foul language, I think the action/violent comics would fit better in their own section.

I stand by my original comment that people can be tame, or wild, as they feel comfortable. But I should say that since this is the NSFW work zine, submissions should be a little edger, since we've had two zines that censored and omitted NSFW content. Our first zine we made one of the creators tone down the gore specifically to fit the SFW guidelines, so I feel it may be a bit...disrespectful now flip and say flat out send in Safe for Work submissions and we'll just split them.

That's my fault for not thinking before responding.

But at the same time, I understand not wanting to mislead people into thinking that a comic on CF is NSFW when it is not.

My compromise:

It is fine for artists with Safe for work comics to submit a comic that is NFSW either through use of any of the tags (Violence/gore; nudity/sex; foul language/adult subjects/talk). Violence does not mean it has to be gory.

All contributors will have their comic banner linked, as well as their handle. It will be clearly noted whether or not the comic hosted on Comic Fury is NSFW or SFW, and what tags they have (yellow violence/red violence, etc).

I know there have been people waiting for a NSFW zine for a while, and we did go two zines without allowing the tags, so I think it's fair to expect submissions to have more mature content: whether it be fights, or language or nudity.

I apologize for responding before thinking about this. It was unprofessional to have to come back and edit. I hope I have not offended anyone.

This is not regarding the cover: the cover can be racy, but not too racy as I mentioned it'll be previewed in posts on social media, and I don't want people getting in trouble for sharing full frontal nudity.