Forum > Critique > Making the switch (plus a question)
Pages: 1
"Making the switch (plus a question)", 13 days ago, 1:56 AM #1
(NOTE: please don't vote solely off of quality, I did these examples really quickly so I apologize for the rushed shading jobs. Any future pages for my comic will have way more time put into them than these)

So, I've been thinking about completely switching from my current style of comic making! My webcomic Sacrelim is currently done in watercolors, and then I scan in each page and edit them. This process takes a lot of time and limits how many pages I can feasibly make.

Which has brought me to think about switching to doing completely digital pages instead. Now that I'm more comfortable using digital art tools, I think I could create pages quickly and in good quality. Not to mention simply making this quick example page took me under an hour: doing it on watercolor paper with all of my tools would require extra time for drying, mistakes, and then editing/etc.

My main question though is on which shading style I should use. On one hand I like doing a painted shading style, but I don't know how well that would work in the long run due to the nature of my comic being uploaded twice weekly. On the other hand I could do a more flat shading that works, but I'm very torn between the two.

Painted

Flat

13 days ago, 3:51 AM #2
personally, I think painted does the best for your comic. I know this is coming from someone who colors in flats but, not every style is the same. Just do get some opinions from others too and see what they have to say since my opinion isn't always the best.
13 days ago, 5:00 AM #3
I prefer the second one personally, since the colours look more vibrant and clean in that one. It also harmonizes better with the style of lineart you chose to use here.
13 days ago, 5:52 AM #4
If you like the watercolor style you could try using a watercolor brush (Most Drawing Programs have at least one).

Either way, I recommend using digital tools, since as you said you'll end up saving a lot of time.
13 days ago, 6:00 AM #5
Sharp shading all the way. Number 2!
13 days ago, 6:04 AM #6
Painted
13 days ago, 6:13 AM #7
Oh Yeah!
I'm okay with both! They do the job, pleasantly.
13 days ago, 10:08 AM #8
Flat definatley especially with your line work style.

"Painterly" shadows tend to have diminishing returns in both time and effect unless lighting is very strong or the shadows are dramatic.
9 days ago, 5:34 PM #9
I think there are basically three considerations: appearance, production speed and consistency.

Appearance is somewhat subjective, it looks like people have already suggested both as a personal preference, and most are fine with either. So I don't think this should be the decider.

In terms of production, time definitely matters. In my attempt at a comic, right at the start I decided to sacrifice practically everything I could in its favour, just to make it possible. (Yes, I'm that bad.)
However, I get the impression that you think both full-digital styles would be quicker than starting with physical watercolours, so maybe this isn't crucial right away.

I've looked at your comic so far, and think consistency is the easiest to evaluate - 'painterly' is clearly a much better approximation of what is already there; if you transitioned to that starting with a few good pages some people might not even notice.
I think this is pretty important, but if you don't then it doesn't matter.

So the thing is, maybe this is a false dichotomy. Is there a continuum of style between the two? Could you start off matching the watercolour style as well as reasonably possible, then gradually tone it back if pages are still taking longer than you'd like to generate? Could you keep the painterly style for some elements - perhaps the background, particularly if you can re-use it between panels now you're working digitally?
that’s for real.
Forum > Critique > Making the switch (plus a question)
Pages: 1