Forum > General discussion > Who here has received their Covid vaccine so far, and what side effects have you had?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
"Who here has received their Covid vaccine so far, and what side effects have you had?", 30th Jun 2021, 2:29 PM #1
I received my first Covid vaccine dose yesterday, and received the Pfizer vaccine. The UK has been gradually rolling out the vaccines since last December on an age group basis, and as a young adult I was towards the end of the queue to receive my first dose (under UK rules, my second dose won't be for another 11-12 weeks, or mid September).

I've had very few side effects at all from my first dose - my upper arm became sore a few hours after receiving the dose and I maybe felt very slightly spaced out and had some slight random throbbing aches around different areas of my body yesterday, though I didn't feel at all unwell, but as of today I feel completely normal with only a very slightly sore arm. This was with the Pfizer vaccine, of which I've read side effects are more common following the second dose. Most of the people in Britain I know such as my parents who had the AstraZeneca vaccine have had flu-like symptoms for a day or two after their first dose. The US has been primarily using only the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, which Britain has been prioritising for those under 40.

I believe in the US, the vast majority of people who have wanted their vaccine have already been given at least one dose, largely due to the fact that a significant minority have refused to have it, unlike in the UK where takeup has been at least 90% among those offered it. I'm wondering for those here who've had their vaccine (1 or 2 doses) which type you received and what side effects you had other than a slightly sore arm?

30th Jun 2021, 2:39 PM #2
What a sucker
Moderna, two shots, did not suffer terribly
30th Jun 2021, 3:00 PM #3
I got Pfizer. 0 reaction aside from very negligible arm soreness after dose 1. Dose 2 I got a significant headache about 15-16 hrs after (tho that time included a full night's sleep so I'm not sure if that affected the timing). I took Tylenol before I remembered to check if I had a fever. I felt progressively shittier over the course of that afternoon but then took another Tylenol and a hot shower and was back to feeling good by 24 hrs after the shot. I cannot say whether I had muscle aches as I had long term back and muscle aches anyway at the time so I couldn't say which were new as a result of the vaccine.
30th Jun 2021, 3:06 PM #4
I can explain
Pfizer-BioNTech, two doses, last one about a month ago.

First one was just mild lethargy, enough for me to skip my workout routine but nothing more. Second one was rougher, like getting hit with a cold - I was a bit loopy for a day, was still a bit out of sorts until after the weekend.

I expected worse-than-normal side effects, because I probably had COVID-19 back in the first wave. Best available data showed that getting the vaccine was still worth it, but to prefer one of the two-dose vaccines. The typical pattern is for the second dose to be worse than the first, so if you're concerned your immune system might over-respond, try to get one of the two-dose ones. That way, if things go wrong after the first, they can just skip the second - clearly, if your immune system goes scorched-earth against a few COVID proteins, it's ready to fight off the actual virus.
30th Jun 2021, 3:07 PM #5
goes fast
I'm not sure which one I had, but got my first jab last week, my arm was sore and I couldn't sleep on it because putting pressure on it made it hurt more, but that only lasted 2-3 days and I didn't have any other side effects.
30th Jun 2021, 3:12 PM #6
loved birds way before they were the word
I’ve had both doses of Pfizer/BioNTech. I didn’t have any flulike side effects, but I do have one that’s probably not going to affect OP personally: my period came two weeks early. I’ve read that the physical stress of the body’s immune response to the vaccination can trigger menstrual effects in AFAB people. Nothing permanent or long-lasting, just weird one-time stuff. I didn’t make the connection between this and the shot until I read about it on a blog.
30th Jun 2021, 3:16 PM #7
Timelapse11:I'm not sure which one I had, but got my first jab last week, my arm was sore and I couldn't sleep on it because putting pressure on it made it hurt more, but that only lasted 2-3 days and I didn't have any other side effects.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall you live in the UK. If so, you should have been given a small card stating which vaccine you had. Most areas of the UK are giving either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine to under 40s and the AstraZeneca vaccine to over 40s.

30th Jun 2021, 3:18 PM #8
Pfizer, both doses quite awhile ago now. No side effects aside from an extremely sore arm for a few days.
30th Jun 2021, 3:20 PM #9
Pfizer - with the first dose I had one feverish night and my arm was pretty sore for about two days. With the second my arm was a bit sore for less than a day and I had absolutely no side effects otherwise

I'm not complaining, but it was honestly kind of weird since everyone is always saying the second dose is the worst, and normally the slightest change to my system kicks my ass

I'm a bit worried my immune system is just too shit for it to work lmao
30th Jun 2021, 3:25 PM #10
I got the Moderna set, myself. It's difficult for me to say whether it was the vaccine or my natural migraines since the weather turned just right on the day of both of my doses, but I was down with sinus issues (severe headache, dizziness, nausea) for about two days afterward both times. My usual pains usually only last for one, which is why I'm suspecting the vaccine was a contributing factor, but exactly how is sort of a mystery to me.
30th Jun 2021, 3:28 PM #11
goes fast
RJDG14:
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall you live in the UK. If so, you should have been given a small card stating which vaccine you had. Most areas of the UK are giving either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine to under 40s and the AstraZeneca vaccine to over 40s.

My parents were given cards, but neither me or my brother got one, they gave us these little pamphlets and told us to download an app to prove we had our first jabs.
30th Jun 2021, 3:40 PM #12
Maybe it depends where you got one, then. My parents' ones both had AstraZeneca stickers, while mine only has "Pfizer" written by hand, although I was shown the dose jar so I know that that's what I received. I was also given an A4 leaflet about my vaccine, "mRNA BNT162b2", which is the official name for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. I've heard that a lot of vaccination centres in London and Bristol have been giving the Moderna vaccine, while the ones in my area have nearly all been Pfizer.

30th Jun 2021, 4:03 PM #13
Both doses of Pfizer. First shot- muscle pain at injection site. Second- injection site was hot and puffy and I felt absolutely exhausted for about 48 hours, starting a few hours after the injection. My wife had the same reaction plus a headache. That was it.
30th Jun 2021, 4:06 PM #14
All adults in my family got Sputnik, two shots. Everyone but me had only mild fever. I got the whole bucket of side effects, up to a splitting headache. (Un)lucky me :/
30th Jun 2021, 4:11 PM #15
I believe the Sputnik vaccine is very similar to the AstraZeneca one, in the same way that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are similar.

Currently, people in the UK have to wait 12 weeks between doses, as opposed to 3-6 weeks like in many countries. This may change before September, especially for those receiving the mRNA (Pfizer/Moderna) vaccines, but it's unclear at this stage.

30th Jun 2021, 4:18 PM #16
I'm a healthcare worker, so I got mine back when they first rolled out. I had no side effects.
30th Jun 2021, 4:29 PM #17
RJDG14:I could be wrong, but I seem to recall you live in the UK. If so, you should have been given a small card stating which vaccine you had. Most areas of the UK are giving either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine to under 40s and the AstraZeneca vaccine to over 40s.

I'm in the UK and both my shots were AstraZeneca but I'm nowhere near 40. I think someone somewhere has me down for being a pensioner because I keep getting calls about over 50's life plans and funeral planning too...shm.

Side effect wise, 1st shot it felt like i'd been punched in the arm by Dwayne Johnson for about a week. 2nd shot I ended up being a bit dizzy for a couple of days.
30th Jun 2021, 4:40 PM #18
Got my second Moderna shot a couple months ago and after both shots I remember having a slightly sore arm the next day.
30th Jun 2021, 4:41 PM #19
I got both doses of the Moderna. The first shot made my arm a bit sore for a couple days, second one gave me flu like systems that started the night of the day I got it, and lasted until the morning of the next day. From what I've heard people who actually got Covid had less of a reaction to the vax.
30th Jun 2021, 4:46 PM #20
Oh Yeah!
I feel fortunate to have experienced zero effects from either AstraZeneca shot, delivered roughly 12 weeks apart. No pain, no anything. My dear missus got the Pfizer and reported a mildly sore injection spot on the day she got the 2nd jab, but nothing after that. Old cranky people for the win! No cards or other verification info issued, it's all on the UK NHS system I guess.
Forum > General discussion > Who here has received their Covid vaccine so far, and what side effects have you had?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5