Forum > News & Announcements > Server move preparations begin!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
"Server move preparations begin!", 9 days ago, 2:17 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
Hello

This is kind of a dumb announcement, because I don't really have a timeline or that much info for you yet, but I figured I'd ease people into this a bit and give them the earliest possible heads up.

We've been planning to move servers for quite a while now and I'm extremely happy to report that it's finally happening!! After pestering the sales department at our new host, knownhost, with various ignorant questions I have now purchased a brand spanking new server, which is like way better in every way, and also not hosted at dreamhost, thank god for that one.

So what does this all mean for you lot?

-Well first of all, at some point presumably within a few days (say, a week, depending on how long setting up the new server takes), there will be a downtime for several hours, while we move from the old server to the new server.

-To minimize the amount of disruption, while stuff is being transferred to the new server, I will probably make it so that at first, editing and uploading files (i.e. deleting/uploading comic pages, avatars, extra files) won't be possible. Since this is the biggest chunk of data needing to be transferred over. During this period, you'd still be able to post on the forums, leave comments, have scheduled comic pages be released, just not do anything that deals with uploading or deleting files.

-Then, I will completely put the site in read-only mode, so that people can still read webcomics and the forums while the data is being transferred onto the new server, but you won't be able to make forum posts, leave comments or manage your webcomic during this time (since all the changes would be lost once on the new server)

-Then finally the domains will be moved over to the new server. At this point the site may appear to be down, until your ISP catches on to the fact that comicfury.com should now point to a new location. You may also get invalid certificate errors in your browser (although I'll try my best to have that not happen to make things a bit smoother). Your browser/computer may also cache the old location of the site, so you may have to restart your browser/pc if this phase just doesn't seem to end for you.

-Once all the pain is over, we'll be on the new server, where everything will be perfect forever. This will also mean that webcomics will at long last be able to have https, since the thing that was preventing us from doing that is dreamhost not supporting it. This in turn will also enable me to be able to create some other planned features like patreon integration and previewing your scheduled comics on your webcomic site.

So now you know! I'll make another announcement soon, once I have more data.

Now because of these read-only mode schenanigans, it may be a good idea for you to schedule any webcomic releases happening in the near future, if you don't want to miss an update and have it prepared already. As I said, uploading files will be the thing that will be the "first to go", so to speak.

Also, I've sent around a notification and a couple of emails to all custom domain owners, and if you haven't yet followed the instructions I sent you to prepare for the server move, you really want to do that now!

Oh and lastly, a huge thank you to everyone for donating to the patreon, which is the thing that made this all possible! You are literally the lifeblood keeping the site alive. Wait, you are figuratively the lifeblood keeping the site alive.
9 days ago, 2:20 PM #2
Whoop, whoop! New server time. Excited, I am.
9 days ago, 2:22 PM #3
Yay! :D I'm super excited, it's finally here! ^^
9 days ago, 2:23 PM #4
I’m relatively new here, but thank you for all that you do!
9 days ago, 2:24 PM #5
Yay!!!!

Hope the move goes smoothly for you!
9 days ago, 2:24 PM #6
Drum bum
LETS GOOOOOO WE APPRECIATE YOU KYO SO MUCH
Currently face down in a spilled, melted puddle of a 711 cherry slushie in a Denny's Parking Lot with the ruined remains of my Danny Phantom fanfiction just out of my grasp. I think I hear the whispers of the ghost boy laughing at me in the distance, but that may be the delirium.
9 days ago, 2:25 PM #7
WOOOOOO- yes! Here we go! :D

9 days ago, 2:33 PM #8
IT'S NEW SERVER TIME, BABY!! HELL FUCKING YES WE'RE GETTING SECURE HTTP!! WOOOOO-HOO!

Ahem...yeah.

Thanks for the heads-up, Kyo. It's a good thing I've been notified beforehand about the read-only switch, because I'll have to schedule a ton of upcoming pages now. I have a daily webcomic, and I wouldn't wanna miss any updates.

Also, just wanted to say hope everything goes smoothly with the server move and all!
9 days ago, 2:37 PM #9
Ooo this is exciting! I can't wait :)
9 days ago, 2:38 PM #10
9 days ago, 2:39 PM #11
Is there anything we have to do, or do we just kinda chill?

also yay new server
9 days ago, 2:40 PM #12
Neat!
9 days ago, 2:45 PM #13
Alright. We're getting a new secure server! YAY! Praying for the move is a smooth one. Good luck, Kyo.
9 days ago, 2:45 PM #14
It's like a summer holiday only we're all in the same giant Server Migration Bus!
9 days ago, 2:48 PM #15
Kyo
🐊
Jaycee Storm:IT'S NEW SERVER TIME, BABY!! HELL FUCKING YES WE'RE GETTING SECURE HTTP!! WOOOOO-HOO!

Ahem...yeah.

Thanks for the heads-up, Kyo. It's a good thing I've been notified beforehand about the read-only switch, because I'll have to schedule a ton of upcoming pages now. I have a daily webcomic, and I wouldn't wanna miss any updates.

Also, just wanted to say hope everything goes smoothly with the server move and all!

i fucking love transport layer security baby, woo!

Dragon Cat:Is there anything we have to do, or do we just kinda chill?

also yay new server

well as I've mentioned, it may be wise to schedule comics in advance if possible. Also, it's worth comitting to memory that if the server doesn't seem to want to switch over for you, restarting your browser and/or computer might fix it. Although it also genuinely will take some time as well. I'll probably set up an alternate domain that I transfer to the new server in advance (most likely everythingfury.com) so maybe commit that to memory and/or your bookmarks as well, but I'll talk more about that in an upcoming announcement.

so yeah for the most part i guess you should be good just chillin as shit, patiently waiting for things to complete. Hiccups are not entirely unlikely, I haven't done a server move in like 11 years or something, i don't even remember. But I've tried to prepare well
9 days ago, 2:56 PM #16
Good thing I "packed" in advance. Looking forward to this move.
9 days ago, 3:04 PM #17
Congrats on finally getting that server move! It was about time CF moved away from Dreamhost.
Also good thing scheduling comics still works, I wasn't really willing to wait to post the last two pages of my chapter. That being said, will scheduled pages still show up when the site is in read only mode? Or what if the page is accidentally scheduled to post when the domain is moved? Since it's hard to tell when everything is happening exactly, so I just scheduled my pages to be out on the next two Fridays.
9 days ago, 3:04 PM #18
Blimpmaster
Woop Good job!
9 days ago, 3:13 PM #19
Kyo
🐊
hawkfoolery:Congrats on finally getting that server move! It was about time CF moved away from Dreamhost.
Also good thing scheduling comics still works, I wasn't really willing to wait to post the last two pages of my chapter. That being said, will scheduled pages still show up when the site is in read only mode? Or what if the page is accidentally scheduled to post when the domain is moved? Since it's hard to tell when everything is happening exactly, so I just scheduled my pages to be out on the next two Fridays.

yes, scheduled comics will still release in read-only mode (but people will not be able to comment). to be honest read-only mode is kind of a misnomer, it's basically just a thing I can enable which forbids users from doing anything that would need to be saved into the database, but things do still change, but only those things that won't cause a loss of data if the database is rolled back. This will probably also be the shortest phase of the whole server move, if things go smoothly just a few hours. and obviously it's followed directly by a downtime (although that downtime may also manifest itself in you still being sent to the old server until your DNS data updates - which will continue to be read-only, even though the new one is technically online)

my plan is to basically set things up so that there's an alternate domain for the cf site, and also an alternate domain for webcomics to sit on that will be live immediately (I have an additional webcomic domain I've been meaning to add to the site anyway, but haven't specifically because I wanted to use it in this way for the server move - so once the move is complete webcomics will also be able to pick yourwebcomic.the-webcomic.com as a domain. I've actually owned this one since 2008 and it was originally meant to be the main domain for webcomics here, but then I found out that smackjeeves was offering yourwebcomic.thewebcomic.com for their premium comics, so I decided not to use it). Anyway, so by setting these up in advance and having people's ISPs and browsers and stuff already aware of the new server ip on those domains, people who are keeping up to date with the announcements can use the new server without having to wait for their DNS to update, but of course there will be plenty of people who won't know about all that.
9 days ago, 3:14 PM #20
Wait, so I'm confused. Will the site still be ComicFury after the move?
Forum > News & Announcements > Server move preparations begin!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6