Forum > News & Announcements > Server move preparations begin!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
10 days ago, 3:21 PM #21
Kyo
🐊
Shuffle:Wait, so I'm confused. Will the site still be ComicFury after the move?

yes, of course. I probably didn't explain that terribly well, let me give it another shot.

So basically, when you access a domain like comicfury.com, what happens is that your browser asks your ISP what IP address the domain points to. And the ISP just has a big old list of domains and their matching IPs. When you move your domain to a new server, it takes a while for an ISP to catch on to the fact that the IP has changed, so the domain will still appear to point to the old server for quite a bit after you changed it. And your browser will also remember this data, which can further exacerbate the effect. so sometimes even though you may have changed the server a domain points to several hours ago, it'll still point to whatever it was previously pointing to on your end.

So my plan is to set up an alternate domain to point to the new server in advance, before it's even ready (obviously I can't do this with the main comicfury.com domain, since then that'd break the site) - that way your ISP and your browser will have had a chance to catch on, and you can just use that alternate domain until everything has propagated. it's bascially just a cute little trick to let people use the new server a bit quicker, if they're aware of it. But obviously this is all just temporary schenanigans.

for webcomics (which after all have their own domains), I'll do the same thing except with the-webcomic.com. Except in that case, we'll keep using that domain for them in addition to the other ones (since webcomics are already acessible from a number of domains, so this is just adding one more to the list, and also using it in a cute little sleight of hand to allow people to experience minimal downtime)
10 days ago, 3:29 PM #22
Kyo:yes, scheduled comics will still release in read-only mode (but people will not be able to comment). to be honest read-only mode is kind of a misnomer, it's basically just a thing I can enable which forbids users from doing anything that would need to be saved into the database, but things do still change, but only those things that won't cause a loss of data if the database is rolled back. This will probably also be the shortest phase of the whole server move, if things go smoothly just a few hours. and obviously it's followed directly by a downtime (although that downtime may also manifest itself in you still being sent to the old server until your DNS data updates - which will continue to be read-only, even though the new one is technically online)

my plan is to basically set things up so that there's an alternate domain for the cf site, and also an alternate domain for webcomics to sit on that will be live immediately (I have an additional webcomic domain I've been meaning to add to the site anyway, but haven't specifically because I wanted to use it in this way for the server move - so once the move is complete webcomics will also be able to pick yourwebcomic.the-webcomic.com as a domain. I've actually owned this one since 2008 and it was originally meant to be the main domain for webcomics here, but then I found out that smackjeeves was offering yourwebcomic.thewebcomic.com for their premium comics, so I decided not to use it). Anyway, so by setting these up in advance and having people's ISPs and browsers and stuff already aware of the new server ip on those domains, people who are keeping up to date with the announcements can use the new server without having to wait for their DNS to update, but of course there will be plenty of people who won't know about all that.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying! Good to hear that scheduled comics won't be affected much in the move. And it makes sense to put the site in "read only" mode, since yeah it would suck to lose any data even if it's something simple like comments. Also seems like it was useful having a spare domain to use in the move, here's hoping things go smoothly!
10 days ago, 3:30 PM #23
Oh ok. So it's basically the number domain, as opposed to the letter one. Basically, x.x.x.x, instead of ComicFury.com. But my question is, will ComicFury.com still be used once everything is moved over? For example, https://comicfury.com/forum/viewthread.php?id=43578 is the url for this forum thread, will that change once everything is completely completed?
10 days ago, 3:31 PM #24
Kyo
🐊
no, it won't.
10 days ago, 3:36 PM #25
Okay *phew.* Then I hope for the best!
10 days ago, 3:41 PM #26
LET'S GO
10 days ago, 3:43 PM #27
Awesome, it’s finally happening!! I’m super happy for you Kyo, I appreciate all you do for us!
10 days ago, 4:08 PM #28
Dear Kyo, have you ever considered buying your own actual physical server and hosting comicfury from your home? If yes, then what would be the advantages and disadvantages of doing something like that?
Is it too cost prohibitive and high maintenance at this point? Or is it possible that somewhere down the road you could do it?

Also, if you ever did set up your own server, maybe you could make a step-by-step documentary of it with photos and teach us how we could do it too?
I say this because I feel that the internet is becoming an increasingly censored and political environment, and people who may want to express their own point of view might be able to do so without getting shut down.... Or, they can experience complete independence from censorship etc.
Thanks for your time and all that you do!

Sincerely,
Chris.
10 days ago, 4:13 PM #29
Kyo:-Once all the pain is over, we'll be on the new server, where everything will be perfect forever. This will also mean that webcomics will at long last be able to have https, since the thing that was preventing us from doing that is dreamhost not supporting it. This in turn will also enable me to be able to create some other planned features like patreon integration and previewing your scheduled comics on your webcomic site.

Will our comic addresses automatically switch over to https, or will we have to do something to get that converted?

Also, huge thanks Kyo! This is a big undertaking and it's really appreciated. :)
10 days ago, 4:20 PM #30
YAAAAASSSS, NEW SERVER + HTTPS WEBSITES, OMG I'M SO EXCITED! :D

Thank you so much, Kyo! ^__^
10 days ago, 4:21 PM #31
formerly roma
Oh I'm so happy and excited! Finally!

10 days ago, 4:29 PM #32
Kyo:-Once all the pain is over, we'll be on the new server, where everything will be perfect forever. This will also mean that webcomics will at long last be able to have https, since the thing that was preventing us from doing that is dreamhost not supporting it. This in turn will also enable me to be able to create some other planned features like patreon integration and previewing your scheduled comics on your webcomic site.

Will all the comics shift over to https, and would this affect current links to webcomic pages in the forums or in comic banners and other spots, or will the existing links redirect to versions with https or something?
10 days ago, 4:36 PM #33
Wow, what convenient timing for my planned hiatus! Crazy how things work out like that, looking forward to the server change!
10 days ago, 4:37 PM #34
Botanist
chris-tar:if you ever did set up your own server, maybe you could make a step-by-step documentary of it

so you need
1) a computer of some sort
2) a static IP address (ISPs offer this for an extra charge usually)
3) as good an upload speed as your download speed (usually on business plans. its possible without it, but throughput would probably suck when facing maybe 300+ visitors at one time)
4) money for power bills, isp bills, and a .com or whatever

So on your (presumably spare, not your main) pc, an operating system that contains web server software is required. for a static website that only uses html, you dont need things like php or a database installed. when you get into wordpress installations, you need databases and php and probably other stuff im forgetting.
Ubuntu is the OS I would recommend to begin with, the amount of guides that come up for 'install wordpress ubuntu' are numerous, and rarely get more difficult than following the listed instructions.
Of course with a server, comes attempted hacking. this is why you use a OS thats defined as a server os, it's more hardened security wise than if you just plopped WAMP onto your art laptop. you need to keep on top of updates, both for the OS, the CMS you installed (wordpress) and any plugins you chose to use (comicpress)

then theres a bunch of stuff with domain names pointing to the IP, firewall routing from your modem. etc etc

It's doable. If I can get my head around it with just small fiddling about, id imagine anyone with an interest in getting it going could. but, CF already exists, so...
10 days ago, 4:59 PM #35
Thanks! The roll out plan sounds great for users instead of a full blackout, and HTTPS is nice. I'm so happy
10 days ago, 5:22 PM #36
Thank you for this Kyo, and best of luck with the move!
10 days ago, 5:46 PM #37
I am super stoked! Thanks so much for all the love and care you put into this site! Legit, this place feels like a home! :3 So thanks for all you do!

Kyo:
-Once all the pain is over, we'll be on the new server, where everything will be perfect forever.

Uh-oh! You said it, now the Internet will hold you to this forever and ever and ever! XD

Kyo:
Also, I've sent around a notification and a couple of emails to all custom domain owners, and if you haven't yet followed the instructions I sent you to prepare for the server move, you really want to do that now!

When you say "custom domain," I'm kinda stupid. Are those the series/comics that don't say "thecomicseries" or something after the name in the website address? (I was trying to understand one of your previous answers, but I'm a bit obtuse in the morning...or any time of the day for that matter XD)
10 days ago, 6:00 PM #38
I can explain
BlueDragon:When you say "custom domain," I'm kinda stupid. Are those the series/comics that don't say "thecomicseries" or something after the name in the website address? (I was trying to understand one of your previous answers, but I'm a bit obtuse in the morning...or any time of the day for that matter XD)

No, that's for if you went out and bought a domain of your own, and set it up to point to ComicFury's servers and had Kyo work a bit of magic so the server knew what was going on. Like if you personally bought BlueDragon.com and set it to point to CF's servers, you'd have to do something to make it point to the new server at the appropriate time. But if you're using a CF domain (like bluedragon.comicfury.com or bluedragon.thecomicseries.com), you should be good.
10 days ago, 6:02 PM #39
Okay, I guess...
10 days ago, 6:06 PM #40
GMan003:No, that's for if you went out and bought a domain of your own, and set it up to point to ComicFury's servers and had Kyo work a bit of magic so the server knew what was going on. Like if you personally bought BlueDragon.com and set it to point to CF's servers, you'd have to do something to make it point to the new server at the appropriate time. But if you're using a CF domain (like bluedragon.comicfury.com or bluedragon.thecomicseries.com), you should be good.

Ah! Thank you so much! I needed that clarification :3