Forum > News & Announcements > Server move preparations begin!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
9 days ago, 12:20 AM #61
I might as well be ready. I don't think I'll be uploading chapter 9 of Louie Chronicles for a while since I need a break. I've been working with chapter 8 and just finished that on time. So by the time things get perfect, I won't have an issue with not being able to upload pages first hand. I look towards the positives of this move.
9 days ago, 12:56 AM #62
Hooray, I know a lot of people have been waiting for this! Funny that this gets announced right as I'm planning to queue up the next batch of pages, haha.

Pinkie_draws_stuff:

The server is just where all this html code is stored. So it will still look the same, it'll just be more secure. (Like moving your dinner leftovers from a plate to a tupperware with a lid.) If you're worried about your webcomic's layout, you can download a backup under My Webcomics > Manage > Edit Layout and scroll down to the Download Layout Backup link. :)
9 days ago, 1:10 AM #63
rcbirdy:The server is just where all this html code is stored. So it will still look the same, it'll just be more secure. (Like moving your dinner leftovers from a plate to a tupperware with a lid.) If you're worried about your webcomic's layout, you can download a backup under My Webcomics > Manage > Edit Layout and scroll down to the Download Layout Backup link. :)

Oh I get it now! Thank you for explaining it to me! I will back up my webcomic now that you mention it. :D
9 days ago, 6:20 AM #64
Niceeeeeee
9 days ago, 6:53 AM #65
Just a question, how long will the movement process take? Will it take several days or weeks?
9 days ago, 6:57 AM #66
🐩 Poodle Lover 🐩
Yooooo this has been a long time coming and now it’s here! Congrats Kyo, and thanks for all you do to make this site what it is :) good luck with the move!
9 days ago, 11:49 AM #67
I love you

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
9 days ago, 12:47 PM #68
Thanks for letting us know.

I guess I'll hold off updating my comic for a week just to be safe.
9 days ago, 3:32 PM #69
Best of luck for the move! I hope it all goes off without any pain.

VERY happy to hear the site's getting out from under a nightmare host. I also got really burned by a terrible host before, I know it's very important to find a good one! (And whew, not one owned by EIG! I guess neither was dreamhost, but the terrible customer service I'm reading about here sounds pretty familiar!)

Really, really appreciate the heads up! It's wonderful that you keep us informed on changes and give us at least an ETA/discussion of future plans. Thank you for this awesome site and all the hard work you do!!
9 days ago, 3:42 PM #70
Oh man this is EXCITING! I'm super hyped for that Patreon connectivity! Hope all goes well!
9 days ago, 3:58 PM #71
Botanist
Wow Very Cool Kyo the Gator!
I Hope TO Launch My PMD Comic Soon When This is All Done.
Please Look Forward to It! Here Is a WIP
9 days ago, 4:59 PM #72
Oh ho, what good news. Looking forward to the new server!
9 days ago, 5:28 PM #73
Kyo
🐊
GMan003:This move will allow you to connect via HTTPS. I believe Kyo will be allowing HTTP connections as well, since that's usually fine for just browsing. But even if he does turn it off, there are easy ways for a server to tell your browser "hey this content you asked for is HTTPS-only, use that protocol".

The benefit will be that browsers have been getting kind of antsy about mixing HTTP and HTTPS content on a single page, and have started blocking a lot of it. Currently, if you embed an image from your HTTP-only site into a forum post, Firefox and maybe other browsers simply won't show it, because the forum page itself is HTTPS. There's sort of good reasons for this, because if you embedded an HTTP page in an HTTPS page you could do some very Bad Things, but for us it's mostly just an annoyance.

I may end up redirecting http connections in the future, mostly because I want to do some oauthy authentification thing for the webcomic domains, to make the comment forms a bit more reliable in the face of 3rd party cookies slowly going the way of the dodo (as well as other features in the future, like comic previews for authors and letting patrons see pages earlier)

Pinkie_draws_stuff:Hi Kyo! First of all, what’s different about the new server exactly? Is it just a different layout or something? Will it effect the webcomic sites? I don’t really know a lot about this stuff so yeah!

Second of all will my webcomic be ok? I know you probably can’t guarantee that it will be ok it’s just I’ve been working on it for a while in advance and I hope that nothing really bad happens to it!

And finally, do you have a time/date for when the move will start and will I still be able to access this site?

Thank you in advance!

I guarantee your webcomic will be ok! The site will be down for a little but it'll all be just like before, plus hopefully a bit more reliable once we're done with the server move. We're moving servers first of all, just because the new machine will be more powerful and more capable of handling lots of people using the site, as well as to escape some technical restrictions at the current host, that are preventing certain features from being possible currently.

I don't have a time/date yet, I've got the new server up and running now, and I'm still in the process of familiarizing myself with how things work over at the new host, getting things set up and running some tests first, to make sure there hopefully won't be any unforeseen problems once we move the actual site. Once that's all done I will start the process of getting things moved over and make another announcement (at this point file uploads will start being disabled).

ShiroDrawzz:Just a question, how long will the movement process take? Will it take several days or weeks?

It depends mostly on how long stuff takes to transfer from the old server to the new server. I don't anticipate it taking more than a couple days, quite possibly even just one. It's hard to estimate but it's pretty safe to say that it won't take weeks.

Amy Of Darkness:Best of luck for the move! I hope it all goes off without any pain.

VERY happy to hear the site's getting out from under a nightmare host. I also got really burned by a terrible host before, I know it's very important to find a good one! (And whew, not one owned by EIG! I guess neither was dreamhost, but the terrible customer service I'm reading about here sounds pretty familiar!)

Really, really appreciate the heads up! It's wonderful that you keep us informed on changes and give us at least an ETA/discussion of future plans. Thank you for this awesome site and all the hard work you do!!

Yeah, I've heard some horror stories about EIG as well. I did a bunch of research on different hosts and that came up a couple times. Our new host seems to have pretty universally good reviews, to the point where it made me a little suspicious at first. But so far their customer service has been really good and very quick to respond!
"Does the title actually show up anywhere?", 9 days ago, 6:05 PM #74
1. Posting an announcement as soon as you know stuff like this isn't dumb, if you want to keep your community included. It gives us plenty of time to see the announcement. Some of us will likely not notice the updates link for some time, so having the news up as long as possible can be quite helpful.

2. I don't mean to suggest that you don't know about the best way to do server moves, and I don't mean to suggest I think I do. But I also know that nobody knows everything, and I might know something you don't, so in the off chance that I know something that could be helpful...:

2a. Are you familiar with rsync? Depending on how exactly your database works, it's possible that one could reduce the downtime of the outage by doing an initial sync of the data to the new servers while the old are still active. This copy will be all kinds of broken, due to the whole 'in flux' thing. But once that copy is made, programs like rsync could do the copy again, but ignoring files that haven't changed since the copy and didn't change while they were being copied.

For rsync, this would require the -c option, so that it actually checks the file contents rather than just relying on the timestamp. It would be possible to proof of concept the idea by doing an rsync of the data after the first copy is made, with the -v option to show whether there was any speedup due to not having to copy every file.

I do know this trick doesn't work on every database type. Like the database I run at work, where everything is effectively in one ginormous file, so all rsync -c adds to the process is all the time it takes to make the checksums for those ginormous files. But I've previously worked with other databases, where each table is its own file, some of which don't change that frequently.

Note that rsync was first made for Unix. It may be harder to get for other OSes. I've heard of people using it on Windows, but I don't really use Windows myself, so I don't have experience there.

2b. I note that your TTL on comicfury.com and thecomicseries.com is set to 5 minutes. With this setting, I wouldn't expect it would take hours for the DNS to update after the move.

I'd say something about respect for your DNS provider, but it seems they have this same setting for their own domain as well, so this seems like their default. I suppose we are in the future and everybody has supercomputers in their phones, but I grew up back in the day when that was considered expensive.
9 days ago, 6:32 PM #75
Kyo
🐊
I'm definitely not like, the bestest and most smart when it comes to sysadmin stuff (that's why I'm just a lowly managed hosting baby), so I'm always appreciative of advice, but yes I do plan to use rsync to get the image files over, it's what I use to make server backups as well.
I suppose you're probably bringing this up because of my plan to temporarily disable file uploads while things are transferring. It's admittedly maybe a little overly conservative, it comes from a place of being worried about leaving gaps in the transferred data by accident. But honestly, now that you've got me thinking about it, I may end up copying over all the data first, then disable uploads, then run rsync a second time to deal with everything that happened in the interim, to cut down on the "no uploads" phase time.

As for the database, it's MySQL and that'll just be a sql dump, which I'll import on the new server. I do this frequently on my dev server and it doesn't take too long at all.

2b. I note that your TTL on comicfury.com and thecomicseries.com is set to 5 minutes. With this setting, I wouldn't expect it would take hours for the DNS to update after the move.

I'd say something about respect for your DNS provider, but it seems they have this same setting for their own domain as well, so this seems like their default. I suppose we are in the future and everybody has supercomputers in their phones, but I grew up back in the day when that was considered expensive.

That's good to know, thank you. Although I think the biggest bottleneck will be stuff like firefox remembering the old data, it can be annoyingly persistent with that kind of stuff in my experience (of regularly helping people set up custom domains). Often it won't update until you do a full pc reboot in my experience.
9 days ago, 7:45 PM #76
Awesome news! I'm no expert either but may I suggest a couple of new web hosts behind a load balancer for redundancy. A lone server typically has downtime, and knownhost has 99.992% uptime, so that adds up to about 42 minutes a year downtime.

https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/understanding-load-balancing/

Will custom second-level domains be automated after migration? (Like just fill out a form rather than contacting you directly)
9 days ago, 7:52 PM #77
Kyo
🐊
i think load balancing is maybe a little bit above our pay grade here. and to be fully honest, i think we could survive 42 minutes a year without the site being online. even huge sites go down on occasion, it's just kind of a fact of life, load balancer or not. as long as it's not constantly happening and gets reliably resolved when it does happen, I'm pretty happy.

good question on the domains actually! That was one of the things I inquired about when choosing the new hosting place, and it should be automatable on the new server (but for the time being it'll keep being a manual process until I set all that up)
9 days ago, 8:01 PM #78
good luck with the move Kyo. just to be on the safe side I decide not to post next week and give you pleanty of time to sort what's needed I told my readers this this morning after I posted. hope it all goes smoothly.
9 days ago, 9:01 PM #79
Thanks for your hard work!
9 days ago, 10:06 PM #80
Cool! I was wondering how you were doing. Hope the move goes well and glad to contribute to a good cause! :)
Forum > News & Announcements > Server move preparations begin!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6