Forum > News & Announcements > Server move preparations begin!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
One week ago, 11:19 PM #101
I think he's gun shy and unclear what a server change means after other sites being sold out led to changes in allowable content more along the lines of "don't you dare draw a boobie or allude to a pube!" than anything more suspect
One week ago, 11:23 PM #102
rivaling gator
mitchellbravo:I think he's gun shy and unclear what a server change means after other sites being sold out led to changes in allowable content more along the lines of "don't you dare draw a boobie or allude to a pube!" than anything more suspect

Ooh yeah, I hadn't thought of that!

@Aron Mason- Sorry if I jumped to the wrong assumption there. Don't worry, this is an actual upgrade not something where they take stuff away and call it "New and Improved!"

Our Kyo wouldn't do that to us.
One week ago, 11:58 PM #103
it's pronounced "Kooky"
I hear crocodiles aren't allowed on the new server.
6 days ago, 12:32 AM #104
triple PhD
[sweats in tropical swampland]

I might be misremembering, but there was/is a caveat in the ToS or something where it said that CF had to operate under Texas law for some reason - due to the servers' location in Texas. I don't think that might be an issue now.
6 days ago, 5:37 AM #105
I asked if there would be changes because I read it was a different server company and thought that could means new rules, such has happened before else where. I asked a simple question and got a stright No, in my book the question is closed.
4 days ago, 2:57 PM #106
Kyo:I suppose you're probably bringing this up because of my plan to temporarily disable file uploads while things are transferring.

Actually, I brought it up because you talked some tech but not a lot and you seemed concerned about the downtime. I personally wasn't concerned about the down time, as kind of suggested by the fact that I managed to hit your downtime window and then didn't bother to check on my comicfury subscriptions until today.

Kyo:That's good to know, thank you. Although I think the biggest bottleneck will be stuff like firefox remembering the old data, it can be annoyingly persistent with that kind of stuff in my experience (of regularly helping people set up custom domains). Often it won't update until you do a full pc reboot in my experience.

... I use Firefox, but I totally forgot about this, because I use it on Linux. But now that you mention it, I remember about Firefox having this issue on Windows. Apparently, it trusts the OS to do DNS correctly, unlike most applications that are primarily developed for Windows, since their developers know better.

I keep thinking Microsoft eventually got around to fixing that problem, but I guess it's just that I eventually got around to moving off of Microsoft. But most of your users haven't. so, yeah, that.

Edit: at least, I thought Firefox trusted the OS, but I saw on the server move complete thread someone talking about about:networking#dns and tried that. And it apparently does its own DNS now. no idea about how that works with Windows, but on Linux, its implementation seems fine (it appears to go with the DNS server's TTL, which means it shouldn't hold onto comicfury.com longer than 300 seconds, so long as that's the official TTL.)
4 days ago, 3:04 PM #107
Kyo
🐊
I'm on linux, and firefox is still downright a menace when it comes to DNS stuff. Websites will long work already in chromium but firefox will still remember the old IP until I reboot or clear DNS cache through weirdly obscure options (I also often reroute some websites in my hosts file when I'm trying not to procrastinate, and getting firefox to catch on after removing those again is always very frustrating). But it's not just firefox, it seems that quite a few ISPs just outright ignore the TTL and still cache DNS data for more than a day, having read up on this a bit now after having so many people come to me with trouble connecting to the new server.

(it appears to go with the DNS server's TTL, which means it shouldn't hold onto comicfury.com longer than 300 seconds, so long as that's the official TTL.)

well it was definitely not catching on to the new comicfury.com location for over 12 hours after changing the name servers for me, (but of course that's probably also partially because of my ISP).

e: oh yeah, about the first part of your post: I generally try not to talk a lot of tech/implementation details in the announcements, mostly just because the vast majority of users won't be able to glean any useful information from it, so I try to keep it to the parts that are relevant to the end user. I'm always happy to stutter through it and embarass myself when asked about details though