Forum > News & Announcements > Server move complete!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
27th Jul 2021, 6:06 PM #141
Kyo
🐊
It mostly comes down to these two things:

-the new server is a lot more powerful, so things will load faster and the site will (hopefully) not have reliability issues it, like it used to have from time to time

-the old hosting company had a restriction that made it impossible for webcomic sites to be delivered over a secure connection (with the padlock in the browser bar), and now we can do that (and this in turn will also make other new features for the site feasible in the future)
15th Aug 2021, 10:33 PM #142
The site looks exactly the same. The main difference I've noticed would be that it would often "hang" for about 5 seconds or so before loading pages in the past and this delay now seems to have gone.

15th Aug 2021, 10:56 PM #143
^RJDG14, the site is supposed to look exactly the same, the purpose of the server changes are explained in Kyo’s comment right above yours :-)

(Sorry if I am misinterpreting your comment and you are just stating a fact and not a complaint/concern)
16th Aug 2021, 7:06 PM #144
Kyo:It mostly comes down to these two things:

-the new server is a lot more powerful, so things will load faster and the site will (hopefully) not have reliability issues it, like it used to have from time to time

-the old hosting company had a restriction that made it impossible for webcomic sites to be delivered over a secure connection (with the padlock in the browser bar), and now we can do that (and this in turn will also make other new features for the site feasible in the future)

Was the restriction that made HTTPS impossible for the webcomic sites down to a term that meant that only the master domain (comicfury.com) could do so? I haven't read the previous host's terms but I'd imagine it was something along those lines.

andygruba:^RJDG14, the site is supposed to look exactly the same, the purpose of the server changes are explained in Kyo’s comment right above yours :-)

(Sorry if I am misinterpreting your comment and you are just stating a fact and not a complaint/concern)

I was stating a fact from what I could see when I first wrote it, but I've since read Kyo's post (I hadn't previously) and wasn't writing any complaint at all - the site seems better on the new server.

16th Aug 2021, 11:12 PM #145
Kyo
🐊
The webcomic sites use "wildcard dns", which basically means that any subdomain is valid. So if you try to go to soandso.comicfury.com, you would get a brwoser error, because it doesn't exist. for stuff like soandso.thecomicseries.com, it will just redirect you to an error page on comicfury, but the browser will always know how to get there no matter what you type in. That's a wildcard subdomain, it means we don't have to physically add a subdomain to a list on the server every time a new webcomic is created (which on dreamhost would also have had to be done through their control panel, which would obviously be a non-starter for the amount of webcomics being created on the site), we can just take care of it in the site code.

SSL certificates are only valid for specific domains and/or subdomains. If you want one that's valid for all subdomains, you need to get a wildcard certificate. And that is the thing that dreamhost does not support

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/216041537#Wildcard_certificates