Forum > Community Projects & Art Trades > Safe For Work Fall/Winter Comic Fury Zine-Now Taking Submissions
Pages: 1 2 3
"Safe For Work Fall/Winter Comic Fury Zine-Now Taking Applications", 18th Aug 2021, 11:47 PM #1
Short Cut Info (please read each section before participating :3)

Comic Submission Application Period: Aug. 18-Sept. 1 (or until spots fill) CLOSED!
Cover Contest Submission Period: Aug. 18-Sept. 1
Creator Quotes: Aug. 18-Sept. 18
Splash Page Characters: Aug. 18-Sept. 19

Didn't get much of a breather, did we?

Comic Fury Zine is now accepting submissions applications (I'm so sorry for poor wording! I've been a bit over extended-I meant applications) for the Fall/Winter 2021! This zine is SAFE FOR WORK, and as such, all comics should be relatively tame (no nudity, no cursing, minimal violence-you get the idea. Like fights are okay, but no blood or gore).

Issue 4's theme is:

SPOOKY CAMPFIRE STORIES
We want your submissions! We're hoping to get some spppppoooooky stories that are safe for work for everyone to enjoy!

For Submission details, please read the "spoilered" rules. If you have any questions, you may ask here or send us an e-mail at comicfuryzine@gmail.com

Spot Counter for Issue 4 submissions:
1) Zero Hour
2) Nyomi
3) BunBunArt
4) Dankleosteus
5) GhostCat
6) Zaten
7) Blue Dragon
8) SnarkClaw
9) Kokoneos

Back-Up
1)

**We do allow past participants to apply again! Just know we give new comers a chance first just to be fair. But just like our Winter zine, we were happy to welcome back a previous participant :D

Want to see examples of the Zine?
For reference, here are the Zine links:
No. 1
No. 2
No. 3 NSFW!!!

You can also check out our Comic Fury site here.
Comic Fury Zine: After Dark (NSFW)
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Zine Submission Rules—Deadline for application is September 1, 2021

Your submission must fit the theme to be accepted. This is help create a cohesive zine. It doesn't have to be super scary (you all are creative! You know what to do). To be fair and non-discriminatory, Comic Fury Zine (CFZ) accepts applications on a first come, first served basis. Details below.

******EXTRA EXTRA! If you need a step by step breakdown of how comic submission works, please read this information! It occurs to me, a handful of people think their final pages are due September 1, and that's my fault for poor word choice. Here's how this works:******

Cover Contest Rules—Deadline for Cover Submissions is September 1, 2021

Creator Quotes—Deadline September 18, 2021

Guidelines: keep it either art related or Comic Fury related (or both). No hate-mongering: it doesn't serve any purpose. Keep it civil and steer clear of politics. Nothing will drain the fun out of a community project faster than politics o_O

***UNLESS THERE ARE 5 OR MORE CREATORS INTERESTED (excluding CFZ team members), WE ARE DISCONTINUING THE SPLASH PAGE.
If 5 or more of you in the community want a splash page, we'll do it: but interest has been waning, so we're creating a minimum (probably because I suck at backgrounds D: Sorry folks! It's the best I can do).

Splash Page Characters are due no later than September 19. That's like, a month. Should be plenty of time :D Have fun!
Rules: Draw a character, either from your comic or whatever. This is the community page, so you don't have to have a comic, I'll just link to your profile. The scene will be spooky stories told around a camp fire. Must be .png or on a white background. The larger the file, the better, since I shrink them down: please set resolution to 300-500 (please do not send anything that's like 72 resolution). Please e-mail completed characters to comicfuryzine@gmail.com.

Can't wait to see what you all come up with :D

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Have a question? Don't be shy! If you have a question, others may as well. So ask here, or send us an e-mail at comicfuryzine@gmail.com (although posting your question here is super helpful, because others may have the same question).

Disclaimer:

The team (in alphabetical order):
BlueDragon
Erudyne
Megamaster

If you want to volunteer for Comic Fury Zine team, send us an e-mail with what you're interested in doing/capable of doing. This is all volunteer work/labor of love. There is no pay. If you volunteer, we'll work with your schedule (you can do as little, or as much as you like: I am flexible). If you're interested, we can talk via e-mail (comicfuryzine@gmail.com).
18th Aug 2021, 11:50 PM #2
What a sucker
If you want a spooky splash page I know a guy who will contribute
19th Aug 2021, 12:02 AM #3
Awesome! I'll start a tally to keep track :D I'll let you know if we hit five people :D

Unrelated:

I owe BluRaven, Lirvilas, and ShaRose a HUGE apology! When I was editing this thread, I saw I was supposed to also include links to one of their comics as part of the creator's quote. I just amended this mistake! I apologize for neglecting that part of of your submission! It has been fixed!
19th Aug 2021, 12:37 AM #4
I need to think about whether or not I can commit right now but I could easily do something fun with Fearnot. Specifically His castle. (If you're familiar with his fairy tale you know it's the perfect setting :D)
19th Aug 2021, 12:43 AM #5
I actually want to participate, I wanted to do it for last ones too but I have troubles grasping everything
19th Aug 2021, 12:54 AM #6
I'd be interested in contributing to the splash page!
19th Aug 2021, 1:11 AM #7
@ Koko:

Sweet! Don't stress, though, because if we get a lot of interest, we do give people who haven't participated yet a chance, first.

@Zero Hour:

We'd love to have you in the zine! I know I am confusing: it's something I try to work on! So here's what to do:

If you want to have a comic in the zine, send us an e-mail with a sketch, or thumbnail with text of what you plan to send in: the idea should include telling scary stories around a fire. However you do this, is up to you.

We'll need to know how may pages you want to send in, too. We take up to five (with wiggle room-you could go a little over, but not much). Feel free to send me, or ask here, if you have more questions :D

@Noblejanobii:

Ah! A returning champion! I'll mark the tally at 2 :D
19th Aug 2021, 3:13 PM #8
formerly Komi the Lass
I actually want to try participating in this
19th Aug 2021, 3:58 PM #9
That's awesome! Check out the instructions/requirements in the first post :D I bet you'll come up with a great idea!

I do want to give a gentle reminder to everyone that if you plan to submit, please read the instructions carefully and if you have questions, you can send us a PM or e-mail and we'll get back to you ASAP. We are happy answer questions! So don't be shy.
19th Aug 2021, 4:55 PM #10
Since I won't be entering the competition for the cover (I've been thinking I might compete every other year or every couple of years?) I would also be interested in participating with the splash page!

I'm gonna go ahead and sketch out some ideas sometime- that away if I can, there'll be an idea ready. And if not- no matter, there will be a very similar scene in the comic proper anyway. :)

And if anyone is wanting to join in I definitely recommend- even if it means I'll have to sit out this round.
It's really fun to have your work curated with other artists and sent out into the world as a complete package. :)
19th Aug 2021, 5:18 PM #11
I haven't decided whether I'll participate in the zine itself, but I am interested in the splash page!
19th Aug 2021, 8:22 PM #12
Awesome opossum! We only need one more person for the splash page. I'll update the tally now ;)
20th Aug 2021, 12:08 AM #13
I sent the page but there is some more things to do apparently and i am lost
20th Aug 2021, 12:14 AM #14
Not a problem! I'll send you an e-mail. :D
20th Aug 2021, 12:20 AM #15
I think I'd like to participate.
20th Aug 2021, 1:02 AM #16
^Hey there! We'd love for you to join!

I'm gonna edit the original post, but real quick here's a Cliff Notes breakdown of how to secure your spot:

Step 1:
Right now until September 1, 2021, we're looking for thumbnails, drafts, or story boards of what you propose to do for the zine. We'd like to know how many pages. Thumbnails don't have to be detailed: Look at mine, I'm a hot mess:

Spoiler for...not really even cartoon nudity, but there are itty bitty...you get the idea

We just need to make sure you have a plan, how many pages, and it's nice to have an idea of what the dialog is going to be. We do this so we can catch early on, before people have invested a ton of work into their pieces, whether or not we will accept it. Minimal amount of work, but it helps keep all of us on task :D

As we accept proposed ideas, I update the opening thread so people can see how fast the spots are filling.

_________

Step 2: After September 1, we're done taking drafts/thumbnails/storyboards, and we send e-mails out to all the participants with the schedule. Creators have over a month (to October 8) work on the their pages. That's the fun part, right? These are what we're calling the "first draft." Ideally, they should be as polished as possible. There's a little time for finishing touches after the zine team edits pages, but it's best not to rely on that time. This zine is posting on Halloween: October 31. So there's not much wiggle room.

_________

Step 3:

A member of the CFZ team will edit the first drafts. We have a week to that, and we may need to take that full week (two of members have full time jobs outside of the zine and art, so I like to respect their time, too. Everyone is volunteering ;) ). We get our edits back to particpants by October 15.

_________

Step 4:

Artists/creators have until October 22, 2021 to make edits and get return them to CFZ.

_________

Step 5:

You're done! Sit back and wait for the zine release to be announced! I may reach out to you for various things, like to make sure I link your stuff correctly, or to ask permission to use your banners in the zine (uh...I HAVE to remember to add that to our e-mail template). But yeah, at this stage, you can sip some tea and chill. Unless you don't like tea. In which case, sip whatever you like.

Or don't sip. There's always the option of not sipping.

What the heck am I even talking about?
20th Aug 2021, 3:20 AM #17
im interested in both submissions and the splash page!
20th Aug 2021, 3:40 AM #18
Groovie! I will mark the tally for Splash Page as 5. To get on the list for the web comic, you know what to do ;)

Splash page is a go!
20th Aug 2021, 3:47 AM #19
i followed the directions on the template you provided (5.5in X 7.75in) and my document ended up with more pixels than the template. (template is 1650px X 2325px and my document, which i set in inches is 1925px X 2712px) will this pe a problem when it comes to pirnting?
20th Aug 2021, 3:56 AM #20
You should be good, so long as your resolution is 300 or higher. Since your document is larger, I shouldn't have any problems scaling it down. Bigger's okay (so long as the inches dimesions match). Smaller is when things start to lose their crispness-—if I have to scale up, that makes things fuzzy.

Thank you for checking in on that!

Splash Page Characters are due no later than September 19. That's like, a month. Should be plenty of time :D Have fun!
Rules: Draw a character, either from your comic or whatever. This is the community page, so you don't have to have a comic, I'll just link to your profile. The scene will be spooky stories told around a camp fire. Must be .png or on a white background. The larger the file, the better, since I shrink them down: please set resolution to 300-500 (please do not send anything that's like 72 resolution). Please e-mail completed characters to comicfuryzine@gmail.com.

Can't wait to see what you all come up with :D