Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Is Clip Studio good for animation
Pages: 1
"Is Clip Studio good for animation?", 10 days ago, 9:58 PM #1
So I now have Clip Studio EX installed on both of my work computers and I'm considering trying to make some animated music videos on Youtube to advertise my webcomic since it has some capability for it. The problem is I heard that Clip Studio is generally only able to produce videos of up to 24 frames and even if you use the minimum of 8 fps that means your video can only be about 3 seconds long.

Is this true? Because I'm wanting to anime style openings which while not ridiculously long I do need more than that. But I did hear that the anime series Interspecies Reviewers was created using it so I figure that this is feasible.

If not, what are some animation software that would be better for mid/long lenghth projects (think 3-5 minutes long)?
10 days ago, 10:30 PM #2
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Csp pro is limited to 24. Ex isn't.
9 days ago, 7:08 PM #3
Yup, with EX it's basically unlimited (I think it still is, but some super high number). Pro still has all the *features*(camera settings, keyframes, etc) though, only the frames are limited, so if you're undecided it's good to practice with it before upgrading.
One week ago, 5:19 AM #4
I've been using a program called OpenToonz, it's well known for being the software used by Studio Ghibli, and it's also completely free: opentoonz.github.io/e/

If you're not used to doing animation the learning curve can be a bit steep (I was completely lost at first), but I found these tutorials really helpful:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vUF0z_Hfqs&list=PLn5H2MgW1PaGIe4iOHnEboY1jTmCqpxAK&index=2&t=3s (Lessons 00-08) ​
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9i7aDsPYf4&list=PLn5H2MgW1PaGIe4iOHnEboY1jTmCqpxAK&index=3 (Lessons 9-11)

There's a few more single video lessons after that which deals with how color and such works, though I personally prefer to draw my frames in Photoshop and then drop them into OpenToonz. I've never seen if OpenToonz has a limit as far as frames/time goes, I've only done short clips so far (probably not more than ten or twenty seconds, if even that), but I'd assume the limitation would mainly just be processing power.

But in any case, it sounds like Clip Studio might work just fine for the project. Just thought I would add another alternative since my own experience was that I started out trying to animate in Photoshop (since I'm more familiar with the program and it does have some animation capabilities), but it turned out that using a program designed specifically with animation in mind really opened the door to things that would have been nearly impossible otherwise.
4 days ago, 7:59 PM #5
OpenToonz is used in the anime industry so I don't think it has any limit. I recommend the DarrenT and Noble Frugal Studios for tutorials (there was a third channel with a devil looking animated guy, but can't remember the name). They're really easy to follow and Darren T often has "animate along" streams on YT.

But frankly, I recommend Tahoma2d over OT. Tahoma2d is a fork of OpenToonz that has more features and was made more intuitive and easy to use. Any OpenToonz tutorial should work in Tahoma, but some options may have slightly different names or be placed in slightly different places. And no, I don't get why it was named after a friggin font either.

//edit: If you want to get into vector animation (think Flash), Synfig may be interesting as well.
4 days ago, 8:09 PM #6
formerly Dyohna
I know full animes that were made just in Clip Studio. As long as you have the EX version, you can make feature length films if you wanted.