Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How often do you make typos?
Pages: 1 2
"How often do you make typos?", One week ago, 2:14 AM #1
Typos in your comic specifically! How often do you find you make them or accidently forget a word?
One week ago, 2:21 AM #2
Once in a while. Not often, but it will often be those types of words where you never remember to spell no matter how many times you use them. Like “conceive” or “deceive” or any of the “ceives” because I never remember that stupid spelling rule from second grade. And I’m pretty sure there’s a word out there that doesn’t abide by that “I before E except after C” rule too, which is always why I get tripped up.
One week ago, 2:23 AM #3
too freaking often. ;A;

It's easier for me to write when I'm vibing but comic dialogue is so broken up and sparse it brings out the worst of my dyslexia I feel >3<
One week ago, 2:28 AM #4
Slightly too often.

It's probably because I'm not used to typing properly, and don't recognize the keyboard layout too much like other people.
Also, there's some simple words that I can misspell.

Good topic, though!
One week ago, 2:28 AM #5
Arl the tume
One week ago, 2:36 AM #6
Venture Capitalist
I make 'em fairly frequently since I revise word choice right up until publishing time.

A good argument for Clip Studio; when I'm at my desk fixing a page takes me about a minute.
One week ago, 2:52 AM #7
Every now and then, which is why it pays to proofread your strips before uploading them. I caught a typo on a strip I was uploading just now, actually.
One week ago, 2:56 AM #8
Pretty often. Sometimes when auto correct doesn’t understand me, I just put my typo into google and 9 times out of 10 it gets the right spelling!
"Hand written typo? Hwrypo?", One week ago, 2:58 AM #9
Too often, considering I'm not even typing.
One week ago, 2:58 AM #10
BMR

I nevre mkae typos.
One week ago, 3:01 AM #11
Surprisingly not too often, but one time I misnumbered some pages and someone in the comments was very confused about how the comic went from like page 130 to 121 :')
One week ago, 3:07 AM #12
jmluvsbob:Like “conceive” or “deceive” or any of the “ceives” because I never remember that stupid spelling rule from second grade. And I’m pretty sure there’s a word out there that doesn’t abide by that “I before E except after C” rule too, which is always why I get tripped up.

The full rule is:

"I before e, except after c
Or when sounded as 'a' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'
Unless the 'c' is part of a 'sh' sound as in 'glacier'
Or it appears in comparatives and superlatives like 'fancier'
And also except when the vowels are sounded as 'e' as in 'seize'
Or 'i' as in 'height'
Or also in '-ing' inflections ending in '-e' as in 'cueing'
Or in compound words as in 'albeit'
Or occasionally in technical words with strong etymological links to their parent languages as in 'cuneiform'
Or in other numerous and random exceptions such as 'science', 'forfeit', and 'weird'."

Or, this shorter version:
"I" before "E" except after "C" and when sounding like "A" as in neighbor and weigh, and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and you'll always be wrong, no matter what you say.

Suffice to say there are lots of words that don't follow the I before E except after C rule.

But anyway, my comic is only like 14 pages atm, I don't think I've made any typos, or at least no one's said anything lol. Usually I'm the asshole that points them out. They can be really distracting so I think they're worth fixing when you do make them!
One week ago, 3:12 AM #13
every time
One week ago, 3:14 AM #14
Dyslexia powers activate.

Sometimes I have beta help. But even then, when I adjust words to flow nicely in speech bubbles I might accidentally remove or add something and not notice until a reader points it out.

Some are strangely smug about it...
One week ago, 3:39 AM #15
andygruba:The full rule is:

Or 'i' as in 'height'
Or occasionally in technical words with strong etymological links to their parent languages as in 'cuneiform'
Or in other numerous and random exceptions such as 'science', 'forfeit', and 'weird'."

"I" before "E" except after "C" and when sounding like "A" as in neighbor and weigh, and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and you'll always be wrong, no matter what you say.

Suffice to say there are lots of words that don't follow the I before E except after C rule.

But anyway, my comic is only like 14 pages atm, I don't think I've made any typos, or at least no one's said anything lol. Usually I'm the asshole that points them out. They can be really distracting so I think they're worth fixing when you do make them!

So, basically…fuck the English language then? Sounds good to me.
One week ago, 3:43 AM #16
I don't make typos, it's supposed to be spelled like that
One week ago, 4:15 AM #17
pkokdfas;lgkdsf;l;lgdsfmg,dsmlvk'ds;kv;kdsfg;dfkbdflsbm;fdsbgdlfsgjlfd;sg;dfksjg

whew, well hoppefully I halped anwer that questionl.

Merged Doublepost:

andygruba:The full rule is:

Or 'i' as in 'height'

Damn, I wonder what rapper they hired to make that rhyme. Those were some pretty hot bars.

A girl with a bazooka gets ready to raise some hell
One week ago, 5:04 AM #18
I want to say a typo has never gotten through in our comic yet. A couple of reasons:

-I used to work as managing editor at a newspaper, and I'm currently a script editor for the creative studio I work for. I've been copy editing for years and it's second nature to me.

-We have three people working on the comic; three sets of eyes are much better than one.

I usually send PMs to people if I catch a typo.
One week ago, 6:26 AM #19
Oh Yeah!
I re-re-read pages before uploading until I'm sure everything's peachy, but the moment it's uploaded well what do ya know, there's a friggin typo, right there. Quick edit time, and re-upload. Tedious, but it seems to be part of my process!
One week ago, 11:08 AM #20
Blimpmaster
I usually catch typos before I upload a page (or shortly after scheduling a page, as is often the case). I can be pretty anal about typos, so I read and reread my pages a lot.

My most common typo is accidentally adding two spaces, which as typos go is probably the least distracting it could be, but still annoys me when I see I've done it.

Usually if I spelled a word wrong, it wasn't a typo, I just thought that's how the word was spelled. I'm anal about typos, but a terrible speller, and sometimes I just don't check the spelling of a word before sending things out into the world, because I'm sometimes tragically confident I got it right and don't need to check
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How often do you make typos?
Pages: 1 2