Forum > Critique > How's my comic's opening?
Pages: 1
"How's my comic's opening?", 3 days ago, 11:35 AM #1
I'm a couple of episodes in at the minute but was hoping people would be willing to check out the first 2 episodes and give me their thoughts, specifically in a couple of areas:

is it clear what's going on?

is it engaging? in as much as, does it make you interested enough to want to know what happens next?

what are your first impressions of the 2 protagonists?

I only have it in scrolling format at the minute which i've tried to attach below but i'll also link to webtoon and tapas as a back up.

3 days ago, 1:19 PM #2
That's one hell of an opening! Color me intrigued...
3 days ago, 1:26 PM #3
I think it's pretty neat. As an opening it's easy to understand and moves at a breezy pace. I can't say it engaged me to read further though, using the webtoons scroll style some of your scenes are a bit meandering, I'd be curious to see if the traditional comic book format might fix that.
You have solid character designs, though your opening doesn't gleam much of their personalities so I can't speak on them just yet.
Overall I find what you have interesting but it's way too early to make any definitive assessments on it.
3 days ago, 1:43 PM #4
@kidcthulhu thank you! glad you liked it :)

@matthew young fair shouts on all accounts. it's interesting what you said about the pacing because i've had other people bring up the gaps in panels being too big as well. I actually make the comic in traditional pages then cut up the panels into scrolling format. my intention being to focus on scrolling for web release and use traditional pages for printing later down the line when i've finished the first arc.
but yeah as far as the gaps go I'm gonna look at keeping it tighter... also gonna look at keeping the story a tighter too
3 days ago, 2:08 PM #5
Dude this is awesome! Where can I read your comic? :D
3 days ago, 2:46 PM #6
aw thanks dude!

it's here on webtoon:
https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/wanted-jack-di/list?title_no=672428

and here on tapas:
https://tapas.io/series/WANTED-Jack--Di/info
3 days ago, 6:05 PM #7
Looks like a good start so far. Interesting variant on the Randall & Hopkirk theme. I was a bit confused by Di's first appearance, but all became clear by the end. The whole gap issue has been addressed. Apart from that, maybe the pacing could be tightened a little here and there, but otherwise... well, I'll definitely be checking out further instalments, so go for it.
Storm Over Whoomera (NSFW, nudity) Comic Fury | Renderosity (first page)
Created by Ed Kline, co-writer Lee M. Now sadly defunct, but the archive remains.
3 days ago, 8:01 PM #8
Lee M:Looks like a good start so far. Interesting variant on the Randall & Hopkirk theme. I was a bit confused by Di's first appearance, but all became clear by the end. The whole gap issue has been addressed. Apart from that, maybe the pacing could be tightened a little here and there, but otherwise... well, I'll definitely be checking out further instalments, so go for it.

a friend looked over an ancient version of this project and made the same point about randall and hopkirk and i'd forgotten about it until now and that made me smile :)
thanks for taking a look and i'll try to keep it interesting (also definitely gonna close the gaps on those first episodes