Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Has anyone here played any of the Kingdom Hearts games?
Pages: 1
"Has anyone here played any of the Kingdom Hearts games?", 6 days ago, 2:28 PM #1
I heard a while ago about Square's Disney-hybrid RPG series Kingdom Hearts, and after doing more research, largely on the combat (its combat is real time rather than turn based), chose to buy a PS4 copy of Kingdom Hearts III for about £10 on Amazon the other day. So far I've been finding it a pretty enjoyable game aside from a handful of sections which I want to complete, and need to complete to progress, but seem to die almost instantly on, notably the rail section in the Frozen themed world, where it takes only 2-3 very hard to dodge hits to knock me out (then it takes another 30 or so frustrating seconds to reload). There were a couple of bosses in earlier stages of the game which I was initially getting very frustrated about but eventually managed to beat after looking at online strategy guides.

The Toy Box (Toy Story) world in Kingdom Hearts 3 amazed me quite a lot because it looked almost as impressive as what Toy Story 1 and 2 do in HD, despite being rendered in real time on 2010s hardware. The outdoor area outside Andy's house actually looks more impressive than the first Toy Story, where it could look pretty basic in indoor shots, and about on a par in outdoor scenes. I'd been wondering for several years whether Toy Story's and other Pixar graphics from the 90s or the graphics that the PS4 is capable of were better, and I can probably now say that there's not a significant amount of difference - Pixar's 90s graphics probably look slightly more smoothly rendered while the PS4's worlds are generally more detailed.

For those that have played Kingdom Hearts 3, is there any trick to beating these frustrating rail sections? I've played Crash Bandicoot 4: It's All About Time, which has similar feeling rail sections, but I found them far easier than the rail sections in this game, and the Crash games have made me rage in the past.

6 days ago, 4:05 PM #2
I've played most of Kingdom Hearts 1, most of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (for the GBA), and some of Kingdom Hearts 2.

I think they're pretty fun games with really great soundtracks. I like the aspect of exploring the Disney worlds with some overarching plot. Now, how well they integrate the Disney and Final Fantasy stuff with the original story stuff differs between each game. Often times it can feel like the Disney worlds have no impact whatsoever on anything else, other than a fun place to have gameplay and isolated story beats. Kingdom Hearts 1 did a good job at having a balance with that. I don't really remember much of Kingdom Hearts 2 to say whether it did well at that also.

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts 3 at all, or any of the other games (though I did get the Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far collection, so I really didn't have any excuse not to).
6 days ago, 7:15 PM #3
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Yeah I'm a little familiar with kh.

I barely remember these rail sections you speak of. I had more trouble with the gummi ship sections. Don't know any other trick than playing it so many times you memorize it.
6 days ago, 9:27 PM #4
I played Kingdom hearts 1 and 2 and adored them. I also played a bit of Chain of Memories, and then got annoyed that they made canonical lore across mulptile platforms. Not all of us can buy a playstation, a DS, a switch, blahblahblah... :P