Forum > News & Announcements > Comment Banning + New Genres
Pages: 1 2 3 4
"Comment Banning + New Genres", 4th Oct 2021, 3:09 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
Hello,

There's a new feature available in your webcomic management, under "Manage Comments"! At the top right, you can get to a screen where you can block users from commenting on your webcomic. You can also delete all the comments they've left at the same time. Please note that if you're being harassed or there's spam being left on your webcomic, it's a good idea to contact the moderators so we can deal with it on a site-wide basis. Nevertheless, I hope you will find these new options useful. The option to comment ban will also be presented when deleting comments on your webcomic site, and in this way you can also IP-ban guests from leaving comments on your webcomic.

Additionally, A while back I added 3 new genres: Thriller, Mystery and Supernatural. If you feel your comic belongs to one of those, you can change its genre in your webcomic management under "Edit Webcomic Profile/Info". The long term plan is still to replace or at least augment the genre system with a more sophisticated tag system, but hopefully these will address some previous blind spots in the interim.

Enjoy!
4th Oct 2021, 3:11 PM #2
1) Finally we can block trolls from commenting on our stuff-
2) Oooh I like it!
4th Oct 2021, 3:12 PM #3
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Love to see it, thank you
4th Oct 2021, 3:13 PM #4
What a sucker
Thriller, Mystery, AND Supernatural? In time for Halloween? Kyo, you spoil us.
4th Oct 2021, 3:13 PM #5
-3-

I've never had to deal with trolls in the CF community, but i still think that's a fine addition to the tools.
4th Oct 2021, 3:17 PM #6
Very nice additions! I myself have not had to deal with any comment trolls, but it's nice to know we have more options to work with if something like that does happen. Plus, more genres is always a good thing!
4th Oct 2021, 3:19 PM #7
What a sucker
...How old are the new genres? I went to change Pine Hill Creature Feature from Horror to Supernatural and it was already Supernatural.
4th Oct 2021, 3:20 PM #8
Kyo
🐊
I think I added them shortly before the server move, I just never announced it until now
4th Oct 2021, 3:21 PM #9
Cool additions. Thanks for your hard work!
4th Oct 2021, 3:22 PM #10
NICE!

4th Oct 2021, 3:26 PM #11
Thank you many times over. I don't really suffer from the trolls myself (yet)but I know a lot of people do, and this is a great way to help out. Thanks for everything you do on this site.
4th Oct 2021, 3:33 PM #12
Good news (never had to deal with trolls myself though). I'm not looking forward to a tag system, to tell the truth. Tags ruined DeviantArt.
4th Oct 2021, 3:35 PM #13
Kyo
🐊
Well, what is it specifically you don't like about it/in what way did they ruin deviantart? I stopped using deviantart ages ago so I'm not really familiar with what all went down, but maybe there's a valuable lesson in there for the CF tag system. I'm sure there's a way to do tags that won't suck
4th Oct 2021, 3:40 PM #14
I can't speak deviantART specifically, but I can say that tags and hashtags, specifically caused a lot of problems on both Twitter and Tumblr, because either trolls or self-appointed guardians of social decency decided to use them to hunt down content that they didn't like and harass its creators. It can get pretty ugly and it often works exactly the opposite you would hope it would work. Likewise, predators disguised as protectors, often use these tagging systems to hunt down children under the guise of protecting them. So, if you're going to allow for tag blocking, please make a rule to prevent people who stalk people and tags featuring content they don't like.

Regardless of this, I give you big kudos for implementing so many great changes. These are greatly needed, and I especially appreciate the genre additions.
4th Oct 2021, 3:52 PM #15
Yayyy! Though nothing I write is of those genres yet. It is good to know for future projects though.
"Nice", 4th Oct 2021, 4:00 PM #16
Ok,dis nice.. I can atleast delete any bad comments cool :)
4th Oct 2021, 4:11 PM #17
Thanks for the info, Sir.

Speaking of genres, I’m planning on a superhero comic that’s a mix of action and comedy. Do you have a subgenre thing that could categorize it as an “action comedy” or so I just have to pick one or the other?
4th Oct 2021, 4:13 PM #18
Kyo coming through for us again.

*claps*

4th Oct 2021, 4:17 PM #19
Kyo:Hello,

There's a new feature available in your webcomic management, under "Manage Comments"! At the top right, you can get to a screen where you can block users from commenting on your webcomic. You can also delete all the comments they've left at the same time. Please note that if you're being harassed or there's spam being left on your webcomic, it's a good idea to contact the moderators so we can deal with it on a site-wide basis. Nevertheless, I hope you will find these new options useful. The option to comment ban will also be presented when deleting comments on your webcomic site, and in this way you can also IP-ban guests from leaving comments on your webcomic.

Sounds good, thanks.

Does deleting or comment banning a user retain a hidden copy of the comments, for moderators to review? Or if there's something really bad should we contact a moderator instead?
that’s for real.
4th Oct 2021, 4:24 PM #20
Kyo:Well, what is it specifically you don't like about it/in what way did they ruin deviantart? I stopped using deviantart ages ago so I'm not really familiar with what all went down, but maybe there's a valuable lesson in there for the CF tag system. I'm sure there's a way to do tags that won't suck

It basically made every search impossible. For instance, I want to find resources - like, let's say, stock poses from models I don't have bookmarked. Before, you would go in the photo/resources/etc. subfolders and then insert your keywords. Now, whatever you search, your desired result is lost in a flood of everything you weren't looking for, because people don't use just appropriate tags, they'll tag with whatever they think is trending. So, I look for action poses and I'll find manga fanart, anthro/fanservice illustrations, "artistic" photography that doesn't have anything to do with what I wanted to find, and even tattoos.
Pages: 1 2 3 4