Forum > News & Announcements > Comment Banning + New Genres
Pages: 1 2 3 4
4th Oct 2021, 4:24 PM #21
Gr8 Feature Kyo! You da best yo!
"Sweet!", 4th Oct 2021, 4:33 PM #22
I think doing more genre options is helpful for those of us who’s stories might fit into unexpected places. Glad to see this change!
4th Oct 2021, 4:37 PM #23
Kyo:Well, what is it specifically you don't like about it/in what way did they ruin deviantart? I stopped using deviantart ages ago so I'm not really familiar with what all went down, but maybe there's a valuable lesson in there for the CF tag system. I'm sure there's a way to do tags that won't suck

My understanding of it is that back in the day, Deviantart used to have a really robust categorization system. I remember uploading pixel art and having to click through a bunch of options to categorize it correctly, something like digital art > pixel art > non-isometric. But there was always ALSO a tag system, so once you selected a category you could also label it with like "Pokemon" and "Pikachu" and then, voila, my MS Paint pixel art of Pikachu was uploaded.

So when you searched things, you could input "Pikachu" and then select a category, as general (digital art) or specific (non-isometric pixel art) as you wanted. This was useful for finding non-isometric pixel art of Pikachus and for finding reference/stock images of poses, which is what a I and a lot of artists really liked about DA even after we stopped using it for uploading our own art. You could search the tag "jumping" and then select the "Stock Image/Reference > People > Women" category to find reference images of women jumping (or just Stock Images>People and get ref of all kinds of people jumping, not just women). What happened was, from my understanding, Deviantart didn't ADD a tag system, they REMOVED the categorization system. Like I said, the tag system was always there.

So I dunno how analogous a situation this is! I don't know if people use the categories much in the search function of CF? I personally have never thought "Ah, I would like to find a comic about cats, but only in the fantasy genre, I should search "cats" in the CF search bar and then narrow the results by "fantasy," but I have thought "oh my god can people PLEASE tag their PMD comics as "fan work" so I don't have to individually block each one" lol. But we all know that the problem arises when someone's PMD comic is SO dramatic that it transcends its "fan work" status according to the author and suddenly we have Eevees and Charizards in the Drama category. So maybe it is more analogous than I thought, just instead of searching it more applies to blocking haha.

You mentioned the tag system might just augment the current one, so that might be what would alleviate anxieties over a tag system? It would be like old Deviantart, where things were categorized and tagged? So I could block the entire category of "fan work" *and* the tag "PMD," and it would cover all the bases of comics I don't want to see. But I can also see how being able to simply select multiple categories would also alleviate this problem.

For the record, I'm personally looking forward to seeing what a tag system could look like! Also hopefully everyone can tell I'm only playfully jabbing PMD comics lol dontgetmaditsajoke

whiteshaix:It basically made every search impossible. For instance, I want to find resources - like, let's say, stock poses from models I don't have bookmarked. Before, you would go in the photo/resources/etc. subfolders and then insert your keywords. Now, whatever you search, your desired result is lost in a flood of everything you weren't looking for, because people don't use just appropriate tags, they'll tag with whatever they think is trending. So, I look for action poses and I'll find manga fanart, anthro/fanservice illustrations, "artistic" photography that doesn't have anything to do with what I wanted to find, and even tattoos.

Ah you ninja'd me, but yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it, since as it stands I don't think people use the category system on CF the same way it was used in DA (for searching)?
4th Oct 2021, 5:05 PM #24
While I thankfully don’t have any problematic commenters, I think the comment blocker tool is a really great feature. Thank you!
4th Oct 2021, 5:31 PM #25
Powerhouse
I like this.. some constructive comments aren't bad.. but out right trolling is effed up. so approval on the IP / Ban system. and as others have said thankfully we dont have too many trolls.
4th Oct 2021, 5:40 PM #26
The addition of a Supernatural genre is most welcome! And more moderation tools will help as well.
4th Oct 2021, 5:58 PM #27
oh neat!
I have yet to reach the point having any trolls in my comments but Im bound go get them eventually lol.
4th Oct 2021, 6:09 PM #28
Thank you! I’ll be adding “Erik Grave” to Mystery then.
4th Oct 2021, 6:42 PM #29
YES A SUPERNATURAL GENRE
I'M SO HAPPY
4th Oct 2021, 7:11 PM #30
Neat.
4th Oct 2021, 7:13 PM #31
triple PhD
Oh god thank you Kyo

That lil sealion on my comic isn't entertaining any more, time to set him free.
4th Oct 2021, 7:41 PM #32
Oh forgot to say, improvements on tag organization is absolutely welcome. My main issue with other sites is how limited they have searches be, so the more options people have to make their comics be easier to find through various categories and key words, the better. Being able to select more than one genre (maybe 3 max) for example could definitely help not only make comics easier to find, but easier to block if you don't want a specific genre since some things have more than one genre but people might choose one over the other and a person wouldn't know it's not what they're looking for because of that.
So having pre-made categories like genres and style (manga/3D/traditional/digital etc) and then an option to allow people maybe 5-10 custom tags as well, that'd really beef up the search system I think.
4th Oct 2021, 7:53 PM #33
^yeah I agree Jitterbug Jive! Adding tags to CF would be like the opposite of what happened with DeviantArt IRT limiting the search function
4th Oct 2021, 9:54 PM #34
vaslittlecrow:I can't speak deviantART specifically, but I can say that tags and hashtags, specifically caused a lot of problems on both Twitter and Tumblr, because either trolls or self-appointed guardians of social decency decided to use them to hunt down content that they didn't like and harass its creators. It can get pretty ugly and it often works exactly the opposite you would hope it would work. Likewise, predators disguised as protectors, often use these tagging systems to hunt down children under the guise of protecting them. So, if you're going to allow for tag blocking, please make a rule to prevent people who stalk people and tags featuring content they don't like.

Regardless of this, I give you big kudos for implementing so many great changes. These are greatly needed, and I especially appreciate the genre additions.

i was actually gonna point this out about tags. if you put in tags, you need to be able to filter or block them to make the best of them. i always thought it would just work to add in more genres and then allow for multiple genre choices for webcomics! just a thought, not sure if it was brought up yet. (i personally struggle with classifying my comic because it is multiple genres, and i had to pick the closest thing i could get which was 'real life' when slice-of-life would have been more appropriate, plus the ability to use multiple genres increases visibility for the comics and blahblah)

a comprehensive genre list would eliminate any issues that tags would bring up really. and by the way hi! i love your website.
4th Oct 2021, 10:43 PM #35
Wow Kyo this is so great. What I really like about CF is that it's almost in step with its peers but just not quite there which makes it quaint.

I think we can all agree that you are really really trying your best.
4th Oct 2021, 10:46 PM #36
-3-

Lelool:Wow Kyo this is so great. What I really like about CF is that it's almost in step with its peers ...

Comic Fury has Peers?

Not that i've found.
4th Oct 2021, 11:20 PM #37
ahhh yesss this is so useful, thank you again!
4th Oct 2021, 11:24 PM #38
Thank you Kyo! Very cool!
4th Oct 2021, 11:46 PM #39
It disturbs me that the first one was necessary.
4th Oct 2021, 11:48 PM #40
Lelool:Wow Kyo this is so great. What I really like about CF is that it's almost in step with its peers but just not quite there which makes it quaint.

I think we can all agree that you are really really trying your best.

This really knocked me over lmao
Pages: 1 2 3 4