Forum > General discussion > Cowboy Bebop - Live action adaptation
Pages: 1 2 3
"Cowboy Bebop - Live action adaptation", Two weeks ago, 11:00 PM #1
So I guess a brave group of producers came together and created a live action movie of the hit 1998 Cowboy Bebop anime. John Cho who played Harold in Harold and Kumar movies is suppose to play the infamous Spike, which I hear people are upset about because Spike is 27 in the anime and John Cho is 49. I also heard that people are upset with the actress playing the sexy Faye Valentine because she doesn't look sexy enough. But lets be honest where are you going to find a girl with Fayes tiny waist and DD chest.

I'm a huge fan of the Cowboy Bebop anime and it's honestly one of the most genius animes ever made! If you grew up in the 90's or were around you probably have nostalgia towards the anime in some shape or form. Which makes it almost impossible to create a live action version that will appeal to the fanbase.

Deathnote and a few other animes turned live action I found disappointing. The only revamp I found fun to watch was the BLEACH movie because I could kind of see the original characters in the actors and the story kinda flowed like the anime. So you just never know.....

What do you guys think about them turning Cowboy Bebop into a live action? Can it even be done in a way and with the right people to bring as much joy to the fans as the anime did?
Two weeks ago, 11:07 PM #2
I've not seen cowboy bebop anime at all. What's it about?
Two weeks ago, 11:21 PM #3
Venture Capitalist
Jason Moon:almost impossible to create a live action version that will appeal to the fanbase.

Yeah, pass.

They would have done better to make something original.
Two weeks ago, 11:36 PM #4
I’m somewhat….cautiously optimistic.

I’m naturally wary because this is a live action adaptation after all, and those are not known for going so well. Especially for anime, at least from what I’ve seen.

But the trailer though looks kind of…not bad.
I don’t mind an older Spike either, as long as he plays him well. In an interview John Cho said he wouldn’t sign on until they got the original composer, Yoko Kanno, on board. So It looks like the people behind this are at least fans of the show and are going to try to do their best with it.

I'll still wait for the reviews to come out first...

Feeshly:I've not seen cowboy bebop anime at all. What's it about?

It's about a group of bounty hunters (cowboys) who live on the spaceship Bebop.
And there's a corgi. His name is Ein.
13 days ago, 12:05 AM #5
lirvilas:Yeah, pass.

They would have done better to make something original.

Same. Especially if they start off with actors that are hardly recognizable by anybody who knows the original. It will be some life action that, by some legal twist, has the same name as a famous anime of the past and may contain some references to that anime.

Just looked it up. Oh God :-( And no Edward.

But it might work to some extend anyway because 1998 was in the last millennium and kids today don't remember the original. And it's cheaper to "adapt" (= rip off) some existing material instead of creating something original.

@ Feeshly: Here. A glimpse.

Merged Doublepost:

Teles:I'll still wait for the reviews to come out first...

"Netflix Cowboy Bebop reviews are BRUTAL! First reactions EXPOSE it as cheap low budget snooze fest!" - someone on the internet.
(LOL)
13 days ago, 12:12 AM #6
To me, it's more evidence of the cautious nature of producers- they'd rather mess with an established property, no matter how chancy the proposed adaptation is, than risk something original. "Let's do a live-action version of a beloved anime series that many fans agree was good to great and absolutely no one has asked be re-done as a live-action series." isn't the best place to start from. It makes perfect sense, though- TV and film exists primarily to make money, not entertain you.

That said, things can be good, even if no one asked for them. Classics can come from the most unexpected places, and shows can surprise you. But the fans will have questions. Will it add to the Bebopverse, or will it just imitate what's gone before? I don't think either of the things mentioned as concerns are actually concerning. But it starts with a strike against it- when the "why" can't be answered as anything other than "cash grab," you start your run uphill.
13 days ago, 1:56 AM #7
Can run and hide
I think anime stories can be converted into a live action movie well. The Rurouni Kenshin movies have shown that.

It's kinda hard to put it to words, I guess it requires both an understanding of the source material and an understanding of the medium and what it's strong at. I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but I think the way live action Bebop went about it was the wrong. They wanted to take the anime style and apply it to film when they should have just matched the film version of the theme.

For the Rurouni Kenshin live action movies, they didn't go with anime samurai for the most part, they just kept the story almost but presented it in the form of a normal samurai film, turning it into a new work. I think Cowboy Bebop should have done the same and try to make a noir/Space western film/show, insted of making an "ANIME" movie.
13 days ago, 2:39 AM #8
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Cowboy Bebop is strange. A really cool world with some interesting stuff in it but is there a plot? There's certainly some threads...some resolutions and some arcs but, like...you get to the end and think "what was that."

With regard to casting, I think all actors will be negatively compared to the anime counterparts because they are larger than life and stylish.

where are you going to find a girl with Fayes tiny waist and DD chest

Hollywood? I think her physical dimensions would be the easiest part to fit.
13 days ago, 3:50 AM #9
Feeshly:I've not seen cowboy bebop anime at all. What's it about?

Summing it up a single sentence that won't do it justice, it's a show about hard luck bounty hunters in space going after various criminals while also delving into their past. Sci-fi, action, noir-ish, with some lighter moments as well as the reason corgis are so popular.

Its a must watch for any anime fan. Funimation bought the rights to it a few years back, can watch it on their sit, or easy enough to find on more "freer" sites. Would recommend watching all 26 episode, but give the first 3 a watch at the very least.
13 days ago, 8:41 AM #10
It's a live-action Netflix adaptation of an anime (NEED I FUCKING SAY MORE?)

Naturally, I'm a bit weary (and also terrified for Cowboy Bebop's legacy). I'm just on my knees praying to Almighty God that Neftlix doesn't fuck this all up with a low-tier cash grab adaptation. I'm just hoping that they have the goddamn decency to at least give the fanbase what they're expecting.

Also, JOHN CHO AS SPIKE?!?!! If he were playing a middle-aged retired Spike then I'd understand. BUT OH HOLY FUCK THAT'S NOT THE CASE, IS IT? *proceeds to facepalm*
13 days ago, 8:44 AM #11
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Whatever happens, happens.
13 days ago, 11:34 AM #12
"EEEEEWWWWW, animated stuff is for kiddies, I only watch live action! So mature!"

The western society fails to value animation as a valid art form... No matter if you've spent 12 hours explaining it to them.
13 days ago, 12:33 PM #13
Cross-medium remakes tend to fail for the same reasons.
1.) They fall into to the "Its too different"/"Its not different enough" trap.
2.) What works fine in one medium, looks terrible in another.
13 days ago, 4:15 PM #14
in my eyes, the only way to do a live action cartoon is to do an original story and work with that with cartoony Special effects
and a lot of humor and heart. See:

Men in Black Trilogy

Tim Burton's Catalogue

Lazy Town

The Matrix Movies.

ahem.
11 days ago, 2:51 PM #15
Okay so I feel like I'm in that tiny minority of people that didn't really like cowboy Bebop that much. Not because it's bad, but because it just didn't contain the same amount of excitement and dynamics other anime at the time did. It was also one of those animes where huge portions of the episode would sometimes be directed towards just establishing the setting. I remember specifically the episode where Spike had to fight Pierre lefou (I think that was his name, the fat psychopath with the top hat) and like 20 percent of the episode was dedicated to explaining what was going on. The rest was just atmospheric ambience and them fighting, and it wasn't even one of those over the top anime fights, literally just guys jumping around and shooting guns at each other. Shit would just put me to sleep and it didn't help that adult swim aired episodes at like 1 a.m. Not that I'm throwing shade on any cowboy Bebop fans (and not that I'm saying it's bad either), but I did find it boring for the same reason I found a lot of live action series boring at the time. It's very grounded in reality with it's themes and it doesn't deviate too close into the realm of fantasy, there were times it reminded me more of Western animation and I questioned why it was an anime in the first place.

For this reason I think it would be perfect as a live-action show. I've never been a fan of all of these remakes telling the same story over and over (I agree to death with the guys that say we should do something new), and I don't know what's going on with this live action escapade at Netflix.

First death Note now this there's even an upcoming live adaptation of Dragons lair starring Ryan Reynolds. Fucking dragon's lair, the game specifically praised for its animation getting revamped as a live-action show.... I don't get the appeal, but that's probably not going to stop people from watching this stuff anyway.

Going back to my original point, honestly I questioned why cowboy Bebop wasn't live-action in the first place. It reminds me so much of tv shows like Colombo or Hawaii Five O, just in space. That might be why this might work so well.

As for the actors ages, I always found people's fascination with the age of fictional characters odd. Spider-Man has been a teenager for over 40 years. Luffy has been younger than 20 for over 20 years. Spike is fucking dead XD poor guy. As long as the actor looks the part I don't see why people are complaining. I understand the complaints about the actor for Faye Valentine not being sexy enough, but... And I can't stress this enough.... What woman would actually dress like that? Honestly I'm surprised they didn't give her an entirely different outfit altogether. Sure you can say it contributed to her character, but refusing to see the show based on the grounds that the actor isn't sexy enough just legitimizes the criticism people have been lobbying towards anime fans for years, that they don't care about the personality of the female characters more so than they care about the characters being eye candy (blood lad fans.........). Even if the sexiness contributed to her character, I don't see a problem with toning down the outfit to translate it to the real world, just like I wouldn't have had a problem if they would have kept the sexiness Factor altogether. Then again this is coming from the perspective of someone who is not a fan of cowboy Bebop.

Merged Doublepost:

ByrneHouse:in my eyes, the only way to do a live action cartoon is to do an original story and work with that with cartoony Special effects
and a lot of humor and heart. See:

Men in Black Trilogy

Tim Burton's Catalogue

Lazy Town

The Matrix Movies.

ahem.

Lazy Town was one of the best live action shows in existence. Change my mind ᕙ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ

11 days ago, 6:18 PM #16
I don't get why there was so much Deviance and Disgusting websites dedicated to Stephanie. Better than Hentai, maybe. obviously. but why Lazy Town? And I can't see why Lazy Town would have the audience it does. speaking in terms, what is it even and is there a cult following? jesus.
11 days ago, 8:20 PM #17
I don't have high hopes, but I plan to check it out.

I worry how the heck they are going to capture Ed's fluidity. I mean, or Spike's for that matter.

The subject matter can and has been done well, but when adapting something so seemless as an anime into the real world, so much of the magic is going to be drained from it. And Watanabe's LOVE for music is an INTEGRAL part of the anime. How are they handling the soundtrack? What are the episode titles? The characters in the anime move with the music. The music is almost as much as a character as the actual cast.

I loved how episodic it was. Aside from a few threads and 2 parters, you could pick it up just about anywhere and enjoy a single episode. It was great as it was: a single contained story that didn't outstay its welcome.

I think in the present day, people have trouble with just letting something be and letting it go.

See Star Wars, the Marvel Universe, DC, everything that has to have a billion sequels and never end.

That said, I always give something a chance, before judging it too harshly. I couldn't even finish the US Death Note, and I barely tolerated the Japanese live action Death Note -_-

It's not that I don't think live action can work, it's just usually the people making the film...miss the point.

Eh, I guess we'll see.
11 days ago, 8:50 PM #18
Could someone please post a pic of the Cowboy Bebop characters from the anime and a pic of the characters from the adaptation next to each other, I'm to tech retarded to try and figure out how to post an image on this site. lol thanks. Well the adaptation came on Netflix today and its a series not a movie! Thank God!
11 days ago, 9:07 PM #19
I want to be open minded and I do believe it can be done since Battle Angel Alita was done right in live action. So… I won’t judge the medium. I have to admit that my first impression is that it looks a little weird.
11 days ago, 9:32 PM #20
I'm a huge Star Wars hater, but Genndy made me enjoy a Star Wars media, being the animated 2003 Clone Wars, that's an admirable feat to pull off.

Many live action movies and TV shows deserve an animated remake/spin off!
Pages: 1 2 3