Forum > General discussion > Cowboy Bebop - Live action adaptation
Pages: 1 2 3
19th Nov 2021, 9:41 PM #21
All I know is that they made Ed super cringe, so I’m never watching this thing.
19th Nov 2021, 9:58 PM #22
^I haven't seen Ed yet. Have they finally released what they look like?

Jason Moon:Could someone please post a pic of the Cowboy Bebop characters from the anime and a pic of the characters from the adaptation next to each other, I'm to tech retarded to try and figure out how to post an image on this site. lol thanks. Well the adaptation came on Netflix today and its a series not a movie! Thank God!

Original

Live Action (I don't think I needed to label these XD)

Oh, we need Ein.

19th Nov 2021, 10:26 PM #23
^- Yeah, the actors don't look super off, and if John Cho can pull off moving like a much younger man, it might be not super bad. (I don't care much about Jill Valentine's actress not being "sexy enough".)

But without Ed it's just a rather meh Sci-Fi story about bounty hunters in a spaceship, IMHO not even very interesting as an anime, quite less so in real form. And one entire season without Ed? There may not be a 2nd season.
19th Nov 2021, 10:41 PM #24
I think they're gonna have Ed, they just weren't introduced until like Episode 9...so maybe they're holding off on a reveal for that reason?

Man, it's been great re-watching the anime, though. It's been years (I plan to follow this up with Samurai Champloo).
20th Nov 2021, 12:27 AM #25
I think Ed is kinda cool.

Anyone wanna see the kid as Homsar from Homestar Runner? Guy's a total weirdo, but you're right, he's cringe but in a good way like 2000's music....Early 2000's. Or Tik Tok. you can't escape its suckage, and the same goes for new Simpsons.

Treehouse of Horror IX-XII anybody?

No?

well, I can't stand to see such good animes be turned into such trash. I hope we can all agree on Uncanny Valley conversation, don't we?
20th Nov 2021, 12:34 AM #26
Yes, I know original anime Ed was cringy, but they were cringy in an endearing way. They are just a kid, after all.

From what I’ve heard, live action Ed is cringy in a bad way.
20th Nov 2021, 12:46 AM #27
hey, don't sweat it. I find a lot of anime Can be Corny and Camp. KOFF KOFF INUYASHA

I for one have always wanted to do a Mel Brooks Austin Powers and Lesley Neilson Parody of anime!

more than 10 years and I still haven't made the dream a reality. they served as my first animations I ever made. Parody makes sure things don't get stale. I can't stand by and let anime churn the way it's going. I love anime. and As Brooks has stated:

Only parody things you love.

Otherwise you get something Crass.

And mean.

In Ed's case, yeah. Cringe but Endearing. like How Optimus Prime was endearing but scary. when The guy who voiced Prime was going to voice the character, he was told by his father that he should sound like his brother, who was in the army. someone who wasn't merely PRETENDING to be the good guys like Dirty Harry and people in the Alamo. A real hero. if this has inspired anybody.... please tell me. and how it did.

Ed's voice star must have gotten a good pay check from the English Dub. I remember the first exposure to Cowboy Bebop was the movie I rented from a Brick and Morter, and it was Japanese, with subs.

Kudos if you get the Kid Right, Netflix!

Okay?
12 days ago, 12:43 AM #28
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Yeah, I watched an episode and a half and it's not great. Probably didn't help that I just rewatched the original lately.

The Netflix show just doesn't have that same groove man.
12 days ago, 12:50 AM #29
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
welcome to the ouch, motherfuckers
12 days ago, 1:02 AM #30
I went and binged the whole thing.
I actually loved it!
Its familiar enough that it feels like its part of the same universe, but different enough that I wasn't bored due to knowing what's gonna happen next, because the plot went of in a different direction completely at one point.
12 days ago, 5:37 AM #31
@BlueDragon - Thanks for the pics!!

Well it looks like Cowboy Bebop is at #1 on netflix right now* It's caught people's attention.
12 days ago, 6:05 AM #32
Venture Capitalist
watched the first episode

it's bad but not bad enough

if they had a waaaaay smaller budget and went all grindhouse it would've worked

for all the hype it certainly doesn't bring anything new or better to the table

edit: oh yeah I forgot--it reminds me of Batman and Robin, cynically existing only to cash in on our nostalgia

gonna go try out Space Dandy now
12 days ago, 6:49 AM #33
^Space Dandy was delightful. It is pure madcap insanity, and I loved just about every minute of it.

Edit: I should add, many parts of Space Dandy reminded me of Loony Toons or Animaniacs, but anime.
12 days ago, 1:14 PM #34
The zombie episode of Space Dandy is probably my favorite. That and the multiverse one.
10 days ago, 9:51 PM #35
I've watched the whole thing. I posted an extended official review at the link below, if you'd like to check it out. I'm a life-long fan of the original anime, and y'all know that I write, illustrate, and animate. I'm also a 2D animation professor, so I'll offer some bit of credentials, there, and I teach storytelling for television and film.

Here y'go:

Cowboy Bebop Review

10 days ago, 10:15 PM #36
Venture Capitalist
^ BOSS LEVEL review, highly recommended

Superb, man! Thank you for emptying an AR into this stolen vehicle. Let 'em burn!
10 days ago, 10:18 PM #37
That kind of came off as "I have background in animation, blah blah blah! So my opinion holds more weight!" or some shit.
Probably not how you meant to sound, but that is how it came across. At least to me.

Like I said before, these kinds of things are always going to get dumped all over for either being not enough like the source material or being too much like the source material. Adapting a series from one medium to another is almost always going to be The Kobayashi Maru.
10 days ago, 10:39 PM #38
i started watching it but stopped after episode 4, to check out the anime (which i hadnt seen yet). now im watching the anime and its very fun, nothing at all like the new show. id say Mustafa Shakur is a good casting for Jet tho. i wonder how netflix handles Gren's plot...
10 days ago, 10:42 PM #39
Well they don't treat Gren as poorly as the anime did. Honestly, live action Gren is kinda low-key badass. Annie gets treated far better too for that matter.
10 days ago, 10:47 PM #40
^ cool review. I agree with most of it, it’s what I expected from the show to be honest so I wasn’t surprised. Don’t agree with the lesbian/trans thing being an issue of “superficially”, I don’t know why people single out that kind of change versus many other things. Other than that I agree especially on the character motivations and behavior, the main character arcs are very subtle and played close to chest in the anime. The live action show is a different beast entirely , which is fine but it just doesn’t work in this instance.
Forum > General discussion > Cowboy Bebop - Live action adaptation
Pages: 1 2 3