Forum > News & Announcements > More reliable comment forms
Pages: 1 2 3
"More reliable comment forms", 17th Apr 2022, 9:00 AM #1
Kyo
🐊
Hello!

If you (or your readers) are using safari, brave browser, or another browser with third party cookies disabled, you might have noticed that the comment form doesn't always immediately see you as logged in. This is because in recent times, browsers have gotten more strict about blocking third-party-cookies, which means cookies from another domain than the one you're on. This is done in service of stopping trackers, but the comicfury comment form sort of got caught in the crossfire, because it also happens to be on another domain than the webcomics.

Well, I've been hard at work adding a new authentication method to ComicFury that will work around this problem and allow everyone to be recognized. The webcomic sites themselves previously didn't know whether you are logged in or not, but now they do. If you click a link to a webcomic from comicfury, it'll automatically make sure you're logged in there as well, so everything goes super smooth.

If you go to a webcomic site directly right after logging in, or if a webcomic has a custom domain, you may have to press that login button on the comment form a single time, but from then onwards it should also recognize you as logged in! very convenient!

This also paves the way for some other features in the future. Previously, webcomic sites did not know your ComicFury account, but because they now do, I can use it to implement e.g. author previews of scheduled pages and other goodies.

I hope you enjoy it! And let me know if you encounter any problems, or anything doesn't seem to work right!

oh yeah and I should probably plug the patreon! ComicFury is funded exclusively by your donations! There are no ads or other commercial features, so we rely on the users to help fund the site. If you believe in what we do here, and have the money to spare, please consider becoming a patreon! I'm afraid there are no rewards though, except my gratitude and the site remaining free for everyone to use, with all features unlocked for everyone

(You must be at least 18 years old or have your parents permission to become a patron!)
17th Apr 2022, 9:05 AM #2
I've had a few problems posting comments this morning... nice to know you're working on something.

Much obligued. (I've switched to using firefox)
17th Apr 2022, 9:13 AM #3
knows every TM
oh im so excited for this. i've been using scroll view to preview my pages, but it will be super nice to be able to do it on my website again! thanks as always kyo!
17th Apr 2022, 9:50 AM #4
Kyo:Hello!

If you (or your readers) are using safari, brave browser, or another browser with third party cookies disabled, you might have noticed that the comment form doesn't always immediately see you as logged in. This is because in recent times, browsers have gotten more strict about blocking third-party-cookies, which means cookies from another domain than the one you're on. This is done in service of stopping trackers, but the comicfury comment form sort of got caught in the crossfire, because it also happens to be on another domain than the webcomics.

Well, I've been hard at work adding a new authentication method to ComicFury that will work around this problem and allow everyone to be recognized. The webcomic sites themselves previously didn't know whether you are logged in or not, but now they do. If you click a link to a webcomic from comicfury, it'll automatically make sure you're logged in there as well, so everything goes super smooth.

If you go to a webcomic site directly right after logging in, or if a webcomic has a custom domain, you may have to press that login button on the comment form a single time, but from then onwards it should also recognize you as logged in! very convenient!

This also paves the way for some other features in the future. Previously, webcomic sites did not know your ComicFury account, but because they now do, I can use it to implement e.g. author previews of scheduled pages and other goodies.

I hope you enjoy it! And let me know if you encounter any problems, or anything doesn't seem to work right!

oh yeah and I should probably plug the patreon! ComicFury is funded exclusively by your donations! There are no ads or other commercial features, so we rely on the users to help fund the site. If you believe in what we do here, and have the money to spare, please consider becoming a patreon! I'm afraid there are no rewards though, except my gratitude and the site remaining free for everyone to use, with all features unlocked for everyone

(You must be at least 18 years old or have your parents permission to become a patron!)

Thank you for all the hard work you put in for us

Also pls help me with this Game ;-;
17th Apr 2022, 10:15 AM #5
not safe to bump into
Thank you, Kyo! :D I’m super jazzed about this. The prospect of author previews is cool, too.
17th Apr 2022, 10:23 AM #6
entirely above board
sweet lets go
17th Apr 2022, 10:39 AM #7
I’m trying to comment with my account on some webcomic pages but it’s not working and I can only comment as guest help. What do I do I’m on IOS.
17th Apr 2022, 10:41 AM #8
Crisis Actor
Thank you Kyo! I was messing up that logging in thing all the time.
17th Apr 2022, 10:43 AM #9
Kyo
🐊
neilpert:I’m trying to comment with my account on some webcomic pages but it’s not working and I can only comment as guest help. What do I do I’m on IOS.

have you tried pressing the login button on the comment form? if you login once from there you should stay logged in from then on out
17th Apr 2022, 11:28 AM #10
Botanist
17th Apr 2022, 12:21 PM #11
Rock/Grass
oh my gosh Kyo thank you, I use Brave and have seen this problem many times. :)
17th Apr 2022, 1:51 PM #12
Also a Brave user and thanks! Now I can turn back off cross-web cookies for the comics I leave comments on. Never thought you would do anything malicious or annoying with that, I'm just paranoid about that sort of thing when it comes to the internet in general so it's nice to have my settings back to how I feel most comfortable :P
17th Apr 2022, 1:52 PM #13
On a Break from Poodles 🐩🗡️
Just checked it out and everything works like a charm! Thank you so much Kyo! In my opinion this was never the biggest issue but the fact you even felt like addressing it and the potential options this fix could bring in the future makes me happy :)
17th Apr 2022, 2:50 PM #14
"author previews of scheduled pages"

yesssss
17th Apr 2022, 2:53 PM #15
This is amazing I use brave and I hope I have no problems in the future logging in with a ad blocker on brave.
17th Apr 2022, 3:07 PM #16
Oh thank goodness. I haven't commented on the comics here very much because of that problem (Brave user), been leaving comments on their DA versions instead (if available).
17th Apr 2022, 3:15 PM #17
Upper Grass
Tried leaving a comment just now on a couple comics and every time I try to log in and leave the comment it says “the page you have requested does not exist.” I’m on iOS, for context. Not sure what the problem is but maybe I’m missing something?
17th Apr 2022, 3:33 PM #18
Your work is most appreciated, and I should say that you may very well be the most responsive admin I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with :)

Good luck with future projects!
17th Apr 2022, 3:37 PM #19
Kyo
🐊
noblejanobii:Tried leaving a comment just now on a couple comics and every time I try to log in and leave the comment it says “the page you have requested does not exist.” I’m on iOS, for context. Not sure what the problem is but maybe I’m missing something?

That's strange, what version of iOS is it? I just re-tested it on iOS and it worked fine for me. Could you also maybe take a screenshot, maybe that'll point me in the right direction of what the problem is
17th Apr 2022, 3:55 PM #20
I was getting that on my Mac earlier