Pages: 1 2
"3D art", 29th Apr 2022, 9:10 AM #1
Decided it may be time for a new skill. Am attempting 3D modelling, with a possible chance that I'll be able to 3D print them in the future.

Here's my first ever attempt:

Wanna guess who it's meant to be?
29th Apr 2022, 9:23 AM #2
Nice work and princess peach?

29th Apr 2022, 10:14 AM #3
Oh wow, she DOES look like Peach! She wasn't meant to be, though.
29th Apr 2022, 10:57 AM #4
Oh Yeah!
Cool beans! Blender? The program, I mean, not the character, no idea who it is, sorry.

29th Apr 2022, 11:37 AM #5
Crisis Actor
Wow, that's really good for a first attempt! I was looking at 3d printers a couple weeks ago and they're a lot cheaper than what I thought they were. So then I was looking at Blender to see if I could learn how to model stuff so I could 3d print my own characters, if I were to buy a printer - maybe if I could find one on sale at the end of the year.

It was immediately overwhelming!
29th Apr 2022, 11:45 AM #6
Venture Capitalist
The thrust of your technical developments is deeply concerning. I strongly recommend you reassess your priorities.

Bruh do not do this lol

Edit: that’s no peach, that’s a tart
29th Apr 2022, 1:09 PM #7
Powerhouse
I applaud this totally .. you have my support!!!!
29th Apr 2022, 1:39 PM #8
BMR

That's looking pretty great! Definitely better than my first attempt, heh. Looking forward to seeing how you progress with this.
29th Apr 2022, 2:40 PM #9
Whelp, I decided to try my own character.

Note that I have no plans of being a 3D comic artist - I just REALLY want a little Smol miniature!

May continue with this, not sure. (A Tella one could be nice...)
29th Apr 2022, 5:54 PM #10
bite sized, bite inclined
The first ever attempts!?
Seriously, those are impressive as heck!!
I mean, most people would start with simple objects out of basic geometric forms - you completely skipped the beginner level!
29th Apr 2022, 10:10 PM #11
argylefox:Whelp, I decided to try my own character.

Note that I have no plans of being a 3D comic artist - I just REALLY want a little Smol miniature!

May continue with this, not sure. (A Tella one could be nice...)

Where did you learn to do this so well and so quickly I've been trying to learn 3-D modeling for ages and I can't find reliable sources.

30th Apr 2022, 4:47 AM #12
Blender is free to download.

I watched these videos:
- This one for the general basics.
- Another one for the scarf, which I can no longer find (sorry!)

Oh, I have done some 3D stuff years ago using a REALLY crappy program called Milkshape (I don't recommend it to ANYONE!) so I know a little about navigating the 3D space.
30th Apr 2022, 5:05 AM #13
Powerhouse
blender hates me with the force of a thousand angry suns...
30th Apr 2022, 6:37 AM #14
BMR

For any others looking to get into 3D: As a guy who does his comic in Blender, including building/rigging everything from the ground up, I'll say that the learning curve can be pretty steep if you've never worked with 3D before. That said, there are tons of tutorials out there, a good 90% of which are totally free. And ever since 2.x, the interface has gotten more user-friendly. It's still not "friendly" perhaps, but compared to older versions, it's a lot friendlier.
1st May 2022, 7:02 AM #15
I did Tella!

1st May 2022, 7:38 AM #16
Botanist
do you need to use mouse and keyboard to sculpt this way, or is tablet the better method?

edit: just watched a bit of that getting started video and it talked about tablet sensitivity so i guess tablet is the option but keyboard shortcuts are still heavily involved, at least from following along with this guy.
1st May 2022, 9:16 AM #17
BMR

You're going to have a very hard time trying to sculpt with only a mouse and keyboard. It's doable, sure. But it's quite tedious. Tablet and keyboard is really the way to go. There's pretty much no way to do away with the keyboard, what with the number of shortcuts you're going to be using, so tablet alone isn't an option.
2nd May 2022, 2:37 PM #18
As people have mentioned, having a tablet makes things MUCH easier. I use tablet, keyboard and mouse when doing mine, each for different things.

Also: Fyre!

Thinking about doing Gloom next. Then I may take a break.
2nd May 2022, 2:47 PM #19
Centcomm:blender hates me with the force of a thousand angry suns...

Same.
I've been involved in 3D graphic design in one form or another, since 1994. Blender's UI makes me want to renounce graphic design.
4th May 2022, 10:00 PM #20
Smol looks cute as always. Tella looks like a barrel of laughs as she usually does when there isn't too much trouble about. :) Fyre looks suitably no-nonsense and guard-like, but not as cute as I expected. Dunno why, maybe it's the increased detail.
Pages: 1 2