Forum > News & Announcements > Image Compression + Upcoming blocking changes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
"Image Compression + Upcoming blocking changes", 29th Apr 2022, 9:57 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
Hello,

I got a couple things for you today, you'll probably want to read this, so you don't get caught off guard by either of these:

Image Compression

Up until now, all comic images that were uploaded to the site have just been kept exactly the way you upload them. I'm sure people who give their image formats a lot of thought appreciate this about the site, but it can also lead to comic images uploaded in suboptimal file-formats being unexpectedly quite slow-loading on worse internet connections, as well as increasing the bandwidth the site uses.

So I've added something to the site that was probably a little overdue, it will now compress and potentially resize uploaded comic images. If it can't manage to make the image significantly smaller than what you uploaded, it will retain your original file as not to pointlessly degrade the quality. If you would like to know more information about how this works, click this button:

You can also disable this in your account settings if you don't want the site to compress your comic pages, but the account settings menu may panhandle if you try to disable it.

Blocking Changes

I've mentioned that I wanted to do this a couple times, and I think it's finally time. You may or may not have noticed that you have the ability to block users on the site. But on other social media, this usually means that those people cannot send you messages anymore, whereas here it just kinda hides their posts. This is just a side effect of the fact that ComicFury has been around a long time, and what blocking people means has sort of changed over time.

So I'm going to update the block functionality, so that people you have blocked will not be able to PM you anymore. As a side effect of this, this will also mean that if someone whom you did block tries to PM you, they will find out that you've blocked them, which they previously couldn't. If you do not want this to happen, you will probably want to unblock people now, that's why I'm giving you a heads up here, instead of just announcing this once the functionality is actually on the site.

e: after getting some community feedback on this, it may also end up being implemented as just silently deleting messages by blocked users. Feel free to post below which you prefer!

You handing over your money to me

Another great feature is that instead of you keeping all your hard earned money for yourself and buying a bunch of kebabs, you can give it to me. This will lighten your purse, giving you the ability to walk faster from point a to point b. Additionally, you will be helping keep the lights on around here. It's a win-win situation

Please click this link to try out our new purse-compression technology and help fund additional development of the site by allowing me to buy a bunch of kebabs, as well as pay the monthly server bills.
29th Apr 2022, 10:09 PM #2
Mooderator
I have a question, is there a way to like, not tell people you've blocked them? I could see anxiety over that really making it hard for people to engage here

I mean I guess for most people anyone blocked isn't likely to pm you but
29th Apr 2022, 10:09 PM #3
Thanks for your hard work making the site better bro

29th Apr 2022, 10:12 PM #4
Kyo
🐊
mitchellbravo:I have a question, is there a way to like, not tell people you've blocked them? I could see anxiety over that really making it hard for people to engage here

I mean I guess for most people anyone blocked isn't likely to pm you but

I mean, it's gonna have to tell them some reason why they can't PM the user when they try. I guess I could just do a vague message like "You cannot PM this user", which people familiar with the site would still figure out sooner or later means they blocked you, but it might also end up leading to situations where someone makes a post on the forums that's like "hey i just tried PMing Kyo, and it says 'you cannot pm this user', what does that mean?" and then everyone knows i totally fucking blocked them
29th Apr 2022, 10:16 PM #5
Mooderator
I meant more like can you just shadow ban them i guess lol but i unds4a d f that's the way it has to get coded
29th Apr 2022, 10:23 PM #6
Thank you for all that you and the rest of the team do to improve the site. I've luckily never had to block anyone on CF, but it's good to know that the full option will be there if needed.
29th Apr 2022, 10:29 PM #7
Kyo
🐊
mitchellbravo:I meant more like can you just shadow ban them i guess lol but i unds4a d f that's the way it has to get coded

To be fully honest, that hadn't even really occured to me as an option. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I think on the one hand it's the least hurtful to the blockee, but it may also potentially lead to misunderstandings?? I guess if you're at the point where you're blocking someone, they're not likely to have anything to say to you that's important for you to read, and that you would also even read in the first place.

I would love to hear what other people think about this. Which option would you prefer?
29th Apr 2022, 10:30 PM #8
the one doing the crushing
Thanks for everything you do.

I have a suggestion about the block feature. When someone you blocked sends you a PM, is there a way to filter the message and send it directly to the trash instead of telling them that they’re blocked? Sort of like a spam folder.

Edit: Also I don’t even want the option to unhide the posts of someone I’ve blocked. The temptation to read something that will definitely bother me is too great sometimes.
29th Apr 2022, 10:36 PM #9
Mooderator
The trash idea is a good one Lutz idk if that's implementable
29th Apr 2022, 10:38 PM #10
^ even the most primitive of e-mail hosts has a spam filter. Seems like it’s doable for Kyo here. Sure hope so, anyway!
29th Apr 2022, 10:40 PM #11
Kyo
🐊
so like, what are you thinking in terms of how this works? it doesn't notify, you, but it's in that folder and you can manually check it, but it gets auto-deleted after a while? or it's just like a separate folder that just sticks around forever?
29th Apr 2022, 10:42 PM #12
Thank you for all of your efforts, Kyo.

Fortunately I've never had to block anyone, but it's still good to have a heads up on the new features.
29th Apr 2022, 10:42 PM #13
Kyo:so like, what are you thinking in terms of how this works? it doesn't notify, you, but it's in that folder and you can manually check it, but it gets auto-deleted after a while?

Yes, that’s what I was thinking, exactly like a spam filter in an email. The option to read it is there, but you don’t get notified about it. Then it auto deletes in a set period of time. Seems like the most practical option. I’m blissfully unaware that an annoying person is PMing me, and the person in question doesn’t know I blocked them.
29th Apr 2022, 10:50 PM #14
Kyo
🐊
it's certainly doable, although it would be more complex to set up than just deleting the PM right away, and I somewhat wonder if people would even use the trash folder much, since they wouldn't even know anything is in there (and they probably don't get enough pms from blocked people to think to check it). Again, I would love to hear others opinions on whether they would want something like this
29th Apr 2022, 10:52 PM #15
Woo
hoo
Lutzbug:Edit: Also I don’t even want the option to unhide the posts of someone I’ve blocked. The temptation to read something that will definitely bother me is too great sometimes.

Oh I wanna second this edit (and the rest of the post actually), the best form of blocking is when I get to forget people exist and vice versa. Maybe there could be an option in settings to enable/disable a post toggling button? (Of course if you really wanted to look at someone's posts that way you still could, but it's an extra step that'd discourage weak willed folks such as myself.)
29th Apr 2022, 10:53 PM #16
Kyo
🐊
yeah I was kind of thinking maybe on the blocklist page, I could just add a checkbox for whether or not to just silently drop their messages, I could certainly also add a checkbox for whether or not to offer the option to unhide the post
29th Apr 2022, 10:55 PM #17
Kyo:it's certainly doable, although it would be more complex to set up than just deleting the PM right away, and I somewhat wonder if people would even use the trash folder much, since they wouldn't even know anything is in there (and they probably don't get enough pms from blocked people to think to check it). Again, I would love to hear others opinions on whether they would want something like this

The spam folder thing is a nice idea, but if it’s more practical, I’d rather the message be deleted outright. This community is very small and letting people know that they were blocked has the potential to cause unnecessary drama.

@Woo
Also yeah when I block people, I want to forget that they exist. The toggling post visibility in your options is a good idea.
29th Apr 2022, 10:57 PM #18
the one your parents know about
Kyo:but it might also end up leading to situations where someone makes a post on the forums that's like "hey i just tried PMing Kyo, and it says 'you cannot pm this user', what does that mean?" and then everyone knows i totally fucking blocked them

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo XD that would be hilarious

Kyo:I would love to hear what other people think about this. Which option would you prefer?

to be honest i prefer the option to see "hey you are blocked you cannot PM this person" rather than it seeming like you sent the person a PM, and you have no reason as to why they didn't read it yet
29th Apr 2022, 11:02 PM #19
Woo
hoo
option where when someone you have blocked tries to pm you, they see this image and it definitely would be healthy for the site's community

29th Apr 2022, 11:03 PM #20
Afro:
to be honest i prefer the option to see "hey you are blocked you cannot PM this person" rather than it seeming like you sent the person a PM, and you have no reason as to why they didn't read it yet

In my experience, people tend to lose their shit when they find out you blocked them. People who get blocked rarely understand boundaries anyway. Let them be in the dark about it.
Forum > News & Announcements > Image Compression + Upcoming blocking changes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5