Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Your awkward prototypes.
Pages: 1 2
"Your awkward prototypes.", 11 days ago, 11:03 PM #1

What was the prototype idea of your comic like?

I've mentioned in the past that Mysterious Missouri was a blend of two comic ideas, but never talked much about it's namesake, so here's the rundown of that.
The original Mysterious Missouri was the same fictionalized, supernatural hub version of Springfield, Missouri.
The characters were as follows:

Talia Schafer aka "Gypsy" - A plucky "young" vampire who finds herself suddenly homeless when the abandoned downtown department store building she was using for a "lair" ends up getting torn down. In her mortal life she was a the daughter of a well-to-do railroad baron. She was killed in a con gone wrong, and because she was improperly buried she came back as a vampire.

Ms. Mori - An ancient immortal woman from London who runs "The Coffee Shoppe Down the Street!", she sees Gypsy as something of a young ward to look after.
Aria Mori - A teenage catgirl Ms Mori raised. She was found as a baby on her doorstep.

Francis - A bail bondsman and part time Ninja. He fights the bad ninjas, of which there are many. No one knows the reason for either of those things.
Sherbert - Francis's cat. He looks like Garfield gone wrong. He doesn't really talk...or maybe he does. He gives Gypsy the creeps. He really likes "I can't believe it's not butter".

Ghosts - They're all over the place. In the first few pages, as Gypsy is chronicling her search for a new home, she encounters the following spirits:

Civil war ghosts in the cemetery: To them she's either a Southern Jezebel or Northern Harlot, depending on which side of the graveyard she finds herself in.
Movie Theater ghost: The depressed silent film era ghost of an actor who committed suicide because of talkies ruining his career.
Library ghost: She's horny all the time, so that moaning you hear is for other reasons.
11 days ago, 11:11 PM #2
“Chronicles of Lillian” is the prototype for Zack Dragonblade.
11 days ago, 11:20 PM #3

Spindleweb was a scifi originally. "Fearnot" was a science nerd and "Eloise" was a mechanic and they explored various scifi concepts like the different kinds of time paradoxes. It was a lil dry and too much like Dr. Who for me to sink my teeth into it.

Terrestrial was originally going to be more of a father/daughter story that was more about robots and humans competing for jobs. Terran was going to be an anti-robot jerk that learned to like this robot dude who would end up being like a dad to her. But for one I didn't like the "job stealing" fixation that lead to and the more I worked on their dynamic, the more I realized it was gonna be a romance. It was just one of those things where you try going down several routes and finding yourself in the same destination. It's the place to be, you know? It also was originally going to end at the midpoint of the current story.

You can thank Alita for that extension.
11 days ago, 11:38 PM #4
"In Plain Sight", was born when I was talking with a group of friends about the world building of SWTOR's Empire and what our headcanons were.

Back then Dallan was known as "Random Pub Researcher" or "RandomPub" and was posed to react to whatever Imperial event was happening before/around him. Most often being utterly confused and a bit scared of what the Imps were doing.

Eventually "Random Pub" gained the name Dallan, and I decided to have him be an anthropologist as that was what I used to study back in college. But instead of having him just pop up and give random reactions to things and what not he eventually gained a history and reason for why he's in Imperial Space and why he's reporting back to the Republic on his findings.

After some RPing with him and stuff I eventually figured out more of him and I'm left to present the train wreak that his is to you all. With a side helping of 'hey look at this nifty ideas that the Imps and Sith are doing since we don't see hardy any real world building on the Empire in this game!'
11 days ago, 11:40 PM #5
This is my favorite fun fact to tell people about my story, actually.

Because initially it was urban high fantasy, it had stuff like elves, magic, werewolves, vampires...
Now it's alternate history leaning very very hard on science fiction (I mean. I guess I can just call it science fiction since it's fiction... about speculative science and history).
I don't even remember how it happened. I just remember that gradually I've had the realization that since I'm writing elves as Scandinavians (who isn't), dwarves as Germanic, etc, I might as well just.... write humans from those cultures and call it a day.
The plot also changed, it went from a high fantasy political drama to a WW2/1 mashup with way too much research and love put into tactics, emotional turmoil, and all of that stuff.
General gist remained the same though, it's still about War Bad(tm) and Love And Peace Good(tm). The characters are still the same, just human. Arc of the main guy & his buddies changed completely (and it's now much better), while the antagonists' arcs remained virtually unchanged.
In my eyes, it's definitely a much better story overall even if I've lost the marketability of high fantasy.

Although sometimes, on long, lonely nights, I will lament the fact that I trashed the fairies and vampires.
10 days ago, 12:36 AM #6
has a gun
The original prototype for Pink Panties is honestly very weird and wasn't even originally a webcomic.

Originally, it was going to be a Pokemon high school ARPG called Lemony Confusion where it was mostly a shitpost, silly, fun vaguely retro thing about high school cliques fighting each other, with a strong yellow theme. However, as DeviantART was dying around the time, I didn't know how the hell I could do it as an ARPG (of course, nowadays I'd think to try Toyhouse or to do it as a general RP thing), but as I tried to figure it out, I realized.

I wanted it to be my own. I wanted it as my own story.

So I decided to make it such.

First, I decided I didn't wanna do it as a Pokemon story since it got so far from the original concept of Pokemon (a lot of Pokemon anthro ARPGs got pretty canon-divergent and in this case, it became more like just furries than Pokemon) that I decided to make it a regular anthro animal comic. Second, I realized I needed to have a main cast and it couldn't be just, every character per clique, so after going through all the characters I had (Cathy, Willow, Izzy, were amongst the options), my friend told me Cathy seemed like the best fit for a high school story just by her personality and what she had. So I went with her and honestly, best choice IMO.

Another major turning point, as this was during 2020 when I was not doing well and revisiting a lot of childhood shows, games and overall aesthetics, was when I was given the suggestion of putting the story into the 2000s. I honestly am so glad I did that, because now I can focus on writing it with hindsight in mind instead of trying to be timeless or trying to keep up with trends for a comic, and it lead to a really fun visual aesthetic I still love doing. And I was around back then, so it means I get to make fun of all the weird shit that era had lol

The last major turning point was when I aged up the main cast. Cathy was originally 15 and was meant to be more a kiddie kid who was just a little behind but then now that she's 18, she's a weird hybrid of bimbo, and weird horse girl, which is honestly really fun to play with when the rest of the cast is like "girl we're almost done with high school".

In short it went from ARPG called Lemony Confusion, to high school story to now insanely horny fat idiot joins the mean girls story (ft. there's a juggalo in the cast now). Over a year of trying to figure out what it would be, and here it is!

Honestly, I'm very happy with Pink Panties now and I think all the changes that went into it were necessary, though every now and then I wonder if I could ever do a Pokemon roleplay in the future...And then I remember all the chaos that's happened over Pokemon RPs in my life and go "Wait, that was kinda lousy sometimes, actually".
10 days ago, 1:44 AM #7
untamed
the first draft of Souls Foreclosed was a lot bleaker, much more classically apocalyptic set in the actual end times of a planet after a biblical Rapture, with the only people still alive being the protagonists, their carriage driver, various monsters and undead, and Lucifer. the premise was to be that the two demons had to literally kill everything else on the planet and then themselves so the world could be reborn (with the villains using dark magic and exploitation of their underlings to anchor themselves in the world to avoid being raptured)... so yea, much more cynical. it was also supposed to be a twine fiction with occasional illustrations instead of a full comic, and most of the text would have been the two protagonists coping with their task and waxing poetics about mortality while Lucifer spurs them on.

everyone on earth can be very happy that this version of the story will never exist!
10 days ago, 2:35 AM #8
send dogs pls

ignore the youtube upload date it did something weird a while back NO THIS IS ALMOST A DECADE OLD NOW IM HAVING A CRISIS
Currently face down in a spilled, melted puddle of a 711 cherry slushie in a Denny's Parking Lot with the ruined remains of my Danny Phantom fanfiction just out of my grasp. I think I hear the whispers of the ghost boy laughing at me in the distance, but that may be the delirium.
10 days ago, 2:59 AM #9
My "Interesting Times" started as a campaign for an old RPG called "Aberrant". I originally started doing renders of characters and, eventually, decided to try doing an original story and setting with these characters and...well, that is where my crazy and delusional project came from.

10 days ago, 3:13 AM #10

my comic was supposed to be like three pages long. it hit 100 the other day
10 days ago, 3:31 AM #11

"The Fruit of Peace" was the prototype for "of Wrath and Peace" (I kept the fruit in the top left corner of my main banner because it's still relevant to the story).

it was supposed to be a story where the main cast was personifications of The Fruits of the Spirit from the Bible who fought the Seven Deadly Sins because I was tired of seeing nothing but depictions of the Seven Deadly Sins (which, fun fact, isn't actually a biblical concept).

Now, granted, I have kept a lot of the FOTS and SDS themes in the story, but they're significantly more subtle. I started my comic when I was still a new Christian who was just starting out in university, so the original story was really black and white and about good vs evil. Now though, I hope, it's evolved into a story that encapsulates a lot of what I learned when I finished my masters studies in theology: that, even Biblically, morality and immorality tend to be a lot more complex than we think.
10 days ago, 5:01 AM #12
Oh lawd.

It was me and my 3 friends of the time, with different wings and magic. And a love story of some kind thrown in.

That's basically it. xD
10 days ago, 6:45 AM #13
Here's my first proto-designs of my main characters, dated september -15. These look so , so weird to me now!
10 days ago, 8:58 AM #14

The beginnings of my superhero comics:
Flame Thrower was my main character, a black-haired man named Andy Calabro who worked as a bank teller in a world where people with powers were persecuted (I was an X-Men fan as a kid). Andy had a power that he hid from everyone in his life, a super jumping ability ("able to jump as high and as far as he wanted to"). For some reason, he uses that power one day to get home from work and is caught by a giant robot designed to destroy people with powers (obvious Sentinel analogue), which explodes (I don't think I ever settled on a particular reason), which Andy somehow survived, and for some reason his hands were now on fire, the flame never dying but his hands unhurt. He develops some gloves that will allow him to control the fire (don't ask how a bank teller did that--the handicap to the power must have been inspired by Cyclops) and decides to become a superhero.

Flame Thrower's villains were Gargantuine (obviously a misspelling of "Gargantuan"), Mr. Zap, Lady Strech (another misspelling), Carlavan, and others, but a noteworthy one was a villain with the ability to control subatomic particles, named Rearranger.

There were other superheroes in the world included the Bladed Heroes, whose membership was all characters who had some sort of blade related power. Blade (no relation to the Marvel character, even in inspiration--I came up with him before the movie came out and never heard of the character before that release) could extend a blade from any joint (I think I was trying to one-up Wolverine), Blade Jr. was his son and could turn his body into blades (I think he may have been inspired by Colossus, but I'm not sure), Multiblades could create blades from the air, Blade-for-an-Arm had what you expect with that name, and Bladed Eyes had blades for eyes. There was also a character named Blader, but I don't remember what his power was.

Other disparate heroes included Flame Spitter (who it turned out was Flame Thrower's long-lost dad), Flame 'Min (Flame Thrower's son), Wild Man-Thing, Under No-One, Wave, Fuzzy, Bear Man, Unaboomer, and probably more I'm forgetting, but this description is too long to justify racking my brain for more details.

If you've read my comics, and especially Almighty Protectors, you can see how different things turned out. Though it should be mentioned that three of that team were not in the original concept of my superhero universe (B.A.D. was an alternate universe character I created later who was able to fire energy blasts and was considered a counterpart to Under No-One, Pinball was created near the end of this concept of a universe and had the same powers and enigmatic status, and Arianna was created after I'd morphed the characters into what they are now). Two of the ones mentioned before this paragraph were renamed along with their major retooling in order to be part of the Protectors. Some of the others became part of the Defenders of America, and a couple became part of Elemental Four (the superhero team of mine which I feel I've neglected the most). One hero became a villain, and there's definitely one (Fuzzy) who hasn't shown up properly but was only so far given a passing mention in one of my issues.

I think what I have now is much less derivative, and much more interesting. Well, I say that, but I'm sure the original universe could have worked just fine and people would have enjoyed it.
10 days ago, 9:39 AM #15

10 days ago, 10:14 AM #16
go ahead, shoot
I still have the first few pages of the prototype comic all done. It was episode 1 and I have the sketches in a folder under my bed somewhere. It was similar to the final release but it was kinda different. I was still figuring out the art style so it kinda looked like crap. I never posted them here cause they look so bad! As I was doing those prototype pages, I stopped doing them half way through cause they didn’t look like how they did in my head. If I released those instead, I would of got the comic out sooner but tbh I’m a lot more happier with my current version by a long shot!

As for names.. well... there was A LOT!! My comic went under multiply names. At the start it was called lost ones. I got the name thanks to some graffiti I saw on the street. Then it was lost and found. And then after that, it was called whispers and conspiracies. It really doesn’t have the same ring to it huh? Lol. I came up with that name while filling the kettle. But then it hit me! And that’s when I came up with the current name Rumors and Conspiracies! It sounded to much better!

Edit: Mike wore a beanie at one point and Max was originally going to be half alien! Thank god Max stayed human! Lol!

Also the beanie was a pain to draw like AUGHHHHH!
10 days ago, 2:32 PM #17

10 days ago, 2:36 PM #18
formerly Treye
I’m on my phone right now so I don’t have any access to any fun pictures, but the original concept for Tweezen was heavily inspired by Final Fantasy, mainly FF 6 and 7. A lil’ bit of World of Warcraft added in for flavor, and a bunch of FF11. Not so much the world itself, moreso the interactions I had with people as it was an MMORPG as opposed to your standard fantasy affair.

One of the things that annoyed me was how I wanted to make a Black character and I had to either make him bald, or have my immersion broke as I can accept an Elf throwing a fireball, I can’t accept a Black guy with Brad Pitt hair. And I’d be told the same shit:

“this is [INSERT FANTASY WORLD HERE], not earth! there is no africa for black ppl here”

Yeah, fuck you dude, we got white humans, and two more flavors of white humans in Gnomes and Dwarves, but I can’t have a fucking Afro? Or a Caesar? Or braids? Maaan, fuck all y’all, I’m making my own fantasy world and my dwarves are gonna be an all Black race that speaks solely in Ebonics! And slowly but surely, Tweezen was born. I haven’t got to the Dwarves part yet but rest assured, it’s coming.

I kinda went off-tangent a bit but my earlier iterations wore its inspiration a bit too much on its sleeve. The first iteration was basically just Final Fantasy 7, except Cloud is Black and a ninja because ninjas are awesome; the second iteration was Tenchi Muyo because I wanted to draw the slice-of-life sequel first without doing any work for the payoff first, and the third is where I’m at now (minus like 4-5 false starts that were more or less the same thing it is now, just less polished).
imageimageimageimageimage
10 days ago, 3:57 PM #19
One of the fun parts of Invincea The Concept turning 11 this year is that I can look back and see a lot of growth in how I engaged with stories and storytelling.

The very original concept was an open mockery of fantasy tropes, with Invincea being a blacksmith that figured out a loophole (you know how in RPGs you sell a shitload of magic junk loot to random merchants? she melted them all down together to make supermetal armor for herself with all the effects) and made herself a demigod effectively just rolling around and Doomguy-ing the big evil. It was kind of violent for the hell of it and pretty mean-spirited about a lot of elements of fantasy worlds and storytelling, while itself not having much of substance to say. It may have still worked as a parody now but it wouldn't have been a very good one, as Invincea was barely even a character so much as a sword that moved between panels and there were no other characters to help bridge the communication gap, not that it would have particularly mattered as she didn't really have anything interesting to say anyway.

I take special delight in the fact that the Invincea I'm making now would have absolutely infuriated the weird angry me from 11 years ago that cooked it up, as most of the things it was originally going to be mocking as cheesy or contrived are now genuine, and it encompasses a bit more than just a singular genre or mood. "Modern" Invincea is also way more interesting of a character now than the "Doomgal" she originated as, which I personally find so much more enjoyable to write and work with.
10 days ago, 4:50 PM #20
My story/characters havent changed that much, but I used to make my "comics" in Flash and they were like point & click game hybrids

I’m seriously thinking about returning to the format actually, with HTML5 instead of course lol