Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How to get people to interact in your comic's discord?
Pages: 1
"How to get people to interact in your comic's discord?", 2 days ago, 3:07 AM #1
A Subsidiary of Cool Stuff Inc.
Hey yall, so I've been running a discord server for my comic since before the series even started. Lately however, I've noticed it's been pretty quite compared to other comic servers I'm in. Maybe that's kinda my fault: I haven't been the most talkative person there. So I'm trying to talk more, but I still see its staying kinda quiet. Is there anything I could try to get people to talk more? Or is this just normal?

Oh and i guess I'll shill a bit in case anyone wants to check it out (maybe it can help ya'll better assess my situation): https://discord.gg/CyCXytmPHC
2 days ago, 2:47 PM #2
formerly Treye

I made a Discord for my comic and while I got people in it, no one gives a single solitary fuck about my comic, and it’s mainly used for just sharing memes and talking about video games. It also contains people from the varying circles I’ve met across the internet (ComicFury, GameFAQs, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy 11, IRL), but they all refuse to talk to each other, even when I @ them specifically to bring them into the conversation I KNOW they’re knowledgeable in. Like bro, you tak my ear off all fucking day about your encyclopedic knowledge of Mega Man, come join this fucking conversation about Mega Man right now. I know you’re online, and I know you’re not doing anything better right now. Or hell, out of all the billions of servers you can play this video game on, you guys are on the same one! Talk about a coincidence! Why don’t you fucking guys play together or just interact in some kinda meaningful way?! ._.;

I stopped posting my comic pages about a month ago and no one cares or even notices. I didn’t even get pity emojis when it was posted.

.. I’m about to just get some milk and cigarettes on these guys, any day now. >_>
imageimageimageimageimage
2 days ago, 2:53 PM #3
Warning: may bite
You need a group of like 3-4 people who are very active, on line a lot and talk. When they talk other people will join in. And they will know each other better. And then they will start talking on their own. If you dont have this group of people it's super hard.
You can try to start some discussion on your own, like if most of your server members are artists try to have a channel where you ask a daily question about their art, OCs and stuff (like, who was your first OC, show me artwork youre most proud of and so on). Maybe people will start talking. Or maybe they will only answer those questions and never interact with each other.
I moderated a small art discord server for a while that was very active and those would be my tips.
2 days ago, 3:08 PM #4

Sometimes I find it better to leave the discord making stuff, or any public/social media group, up to the fans of the comic. It happens with regular graphic artists and mangaka all the time.

The love and dedication you put into your work should be all the driving force your fan base needs. The fans who believe your comic needs to be gushed on, discussed heavily, what have you, they'll gather the interested individuals and get it going. At the end of the day, you should only feel responsible for yourself and your story. The other stuff is more like icing on the cake.

This world is already so chaotic and crazy with all the stuff we need to do regularly. I don't think it's a bad thing to cut ourselves some slack and give ourselves some grace now and then.

EDIT: also, seconding everything else everyone has said too!
2 days ago, 5:36 PM #5
formerly Treye
Upstepper:Sometimes I find it better to leave the discord making stuff, or any public/social media group, up to the fans of the comic. It happens with regular graphic artists and mangaka all the time.

Valid, but I made my Discord because I was lonely and wanted an excuse to gather people to talk to.

.. IT BACKFIRED. ;~;
imageimageimageimageimage
2 days ago, 5:54 PM #6

^^^^^
Hey man, I'm sorry to hear that happened. It stinks when a place that promotes interaction and community doesn't live up to it.

I'm very glad you're here as a result, though! You still have us!

EDIT: what I wrote here looked weird to me, so I'm clarifying. I mean Discord, not your server in particular. Sorry if it was confusing!
Pages: 1