Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > signature on pages?
Pages: 1 2
"signature on pages?", One week ago, 3:12 AM #1

i was catching up on some comics i'm subscribed to and i noticed that some people on here put their signature on their pages!

is this common? if you do it, why? is it out of habit?

idk if it's my OCD making me paranoid or if i'm genuinely curious but i wonder if i ought to put my signature on my pages or not
One week ago, 4:04 AM #2
*not actually a webcomic
Personally I do it out of habit, I've kinda been signing my works in my specific way for quite a while. It helps that I've taken a greater influence from newspaper comics than comic books.
One week ago, 4:11 AM #3

I don't do it, but I believe some do it so people can't take and claim the pages as their own

One week ago, 4:29 AM #4
pronounced "goose"
I do it so that if anyone were to share it somewhere, the link back to the comic is right there in the image! There is also the concern of thieves, I suppose, but the important thing is that people have a hint as to where the page is from!
One week ago, 4:40 AM #5
-3-

I don't now, but i have in the past. Previous comics had my signature and the home URL on them.
But T3C uses screens from the game, and it would make the game ugly having all the screen pics signed.

Yeah, someone could try to grab pics and claim it's theirs, but i've got the good print versions and the source files.

(-3- is not an emoticon. It's pronounced 'Three', the hyphens are silent.)
One week ago, 4:42 AM #6

I don't use a handwritten signature on my comic pages, but I do have copyright labels on each page.
"A sign of the times.", One week ago, 4:43 AM #7
I signed one or two pages back when I got started, then I kept forgetting to do it and just abandoned the habit all together.
One week ago, 5:31 AM #8

-3-:Yeah, someone could try to grab pics and claim it's theirs, but i've got the good print versions and the source files.

yeah see and that's kinda been the rationale in the back of my mind about it

like i said, it could just be my OCD and paranoia compelling me to ask this but this is fair

Merged Doublepost:

David A Webcomic:Personally I do it out of habit, I've kinda been signing my works in my specific way for quite a while. It helps that I've taken a greater influence from newspaper comics than comic books.

ooh that makes sense! there's something about that that i really like - idk what it is lol

Merged Doublepost:

Cope:I signed one or two pages back when I got started, then I kept forgetting to do it and just abandoned the habit all together.

that sounds like an issue i'd have, even despite my ocd lmao
One week ago, 1:09 PM #9

I only do it at the beginning and end of chapters/story arcs, where I have my signature and plug my Patreon. I feel that it would distract too much from the page.
One week ago, 2:20 PM #10
formerly Treye
thornn:signature on pages?

I do it on my social media shares, because those pages aren’t in my house and I want people to know who made it. That’s why I throw URL, signatures, and shoehorn the title in when it goes on socials versus when it’s just posted on my site. Another lil’ touch is I try to throw a bit of the social’s signature color as the background, just gives it a bit more personality. Compare this:

https://twitter.com/tznxii/status/1536738085874040832

vs. this:

https://tweezen.thecomicseries.com/comics/1

—As an example of what I’m talking about. I had to get a bit more creative with Instagram since you can only post perfect squares on those. Also, while I’ve barely converted any of my pages for posting on socials, the plan is for each sig to be unique, even though I could literally just copy/paste the same one, but what’s the fun in that?

This is something new for me, because I barely put signatures on things I made in the past. When I made full-on comics, I’d sign and date it, but regular sketches and concepts? I only could guess when I did those. It’s a lot easier now since files are usually automatically dated when you make them, but it’s a good habit to get into regardless.
imageimageimageimageimage
One week ago, 2:28 PM #11

Tezian:I do it on my social media shares, because those pages aren’t in my house and I want people to know who made it. That’s why I throw URL, signatures, and shoehorn the title in when it goes on socials versus when it’s just posted on my site.

That’s a really good idea, honestly!
And I do the same, really. I sign everything I intend to post on my socials but don’t think about it much for my site cuz, well… It’s my site lmao

Merged Doublepost:

I do think I wanna start to sign my pages now (not sure if I wanna go back and put my sig on every page I’ve uploaded so far but we’ll see).

I do think it’s primarily anxiety based for me but it is a good habit - even with the existence of electronic signatures
One week ago, 5:07 PM #12

I did it for my first two chapters, but I'll probably only do it in important/chapter start pages from now on. It's a bit superfluous and people generally repost meme comics, not exactly something that's story based and needs context.
One week ago, 5:54 PM #13

Iris-Grimoire:people generally repost meme comics, not exactly something that's story based and needs context.

Yeah that’s definitely true, now that you mention it
One week ago, 6:04 PM #14
bite sized, bite inclined
An artist gotta sign their work!

(And I'm even using my actual first name and surname's initial!)
One week ago, 6:47 PM #15
and the Sorcerer's Stone
I used to place a small initials signature on every page a while back, but I dropped the habit.
Also, some people told me it looked weird.
One week ago, 8:20 PM #16
grew up on an island
I've found my art posted to other sites with no link back one too many times, so I just add a small link to anything I post. Even pages that make little sense to post by themselves, I figure better safe than sorry.

Though now upon saying this, I realize I completely neglected to do this for cover pages...which are the most likely pages to be reposted out of context. oops
One week ago, 9:09 PM #17
formerly DrFurball
I put a little "Godbey '22" somewhere in the last panel of each chapter. I think I picked it up from Monkey Punch.

Gives it a little sense of finality, I guess?

And, as an artist, I've always felt like I should sign my name SOMEWHERE.
One week ago, 10:29 PM #18

I’m gonna go back and sign the pages I’ve posted so far on my page + webtoons

It’s gonna take a while but better safe than sorry, methinks
One week ago, 10:30 PM #19
and NiaCrannies
I used to rarely sign my art. I couldn't fathom it ever being useful, it added clutter to my newly-made drawing, and it was just kind of embarrassing.

One day I browse an unfamiliar site for art and ran into 2 separate instances of my own art being passed around with nobody knowing who drew it! It was kind of surreal, actually, like running into an old friend in another country. :'D

Ever since then I decided to be better about signing my pages... but then I fall right back into old habits and make the signature as hard-to-find as possible which kind of defeats the purpose. lol
5 days ago, 1:41 PM #20

I put a signature on every page I draw, and I also throw on a link to the site for good measure.

A decade plus ago, I used to upload a lot of comics and drawings to the internet without any kind of signature. I'll still encounter one in the wild every now and then, with no credit to the artist.