Forum > News & Announcements > New Feature: Tags! Please update your webcomic info!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
"New Feature: Tags! Please update your webcomic info!", 24th Jul 2022, 2:51 AM #1
Kyo
🐊
Hello furians!

When you create a webcomic or edit your webcomic information, you will now be able to specify up to 3 genres, and in addition to that, more specific tags describing the content of your webcomic. Like let's say your webcomic is a horror/romance webcomic about fluffy bunnies, you would be able to select horror and romance as your genres, and then give it the tag "bunnies".

So please check your webcomics (in your Webcomic Management -> Edit Webcomic Profile/Info) and make sure to add some tags, and additional genres to them if necessary! I've also tried to generate some tags/genres based on descriptions, but of course manual entry will be much more accurate and comprehensive.

You can give any tag to your webcomic, so you can be as specific as you like, but I've also gone through the webcomic descriptions of hundreds of webcomics and extracted a set of initial tags, which I've then also applied to webcomics whose webcomic description matched certain keywords. This process is not perfect of course (especially on sparse webcomic descriptions), but it means that even if you're the first person reading this announcement, you can browse by tags right now! Just head over to the search function and check it out! You can specify one or multiple tags and see what pops up. So for example, if you wanted to find a horror/romance webcomic about fluffy bunnies, just search for the tags "#horror, #romance, #bunnies" to find out that this is a currently untapped market.

Now I won't pretend I don't know some people were waiting for this feature just because they want to block by tags, and indeed you can do this too in your frontpage settings, but I urge you to also check out the new search/browse page, it's a lot of fun to mix and match tags and see what pops up, and I really think you'd miss out if you didn't take a look. It took a ton of work to put this all together, and I think it came out great!

--

And now the patreon part of this announcement. Usually there's no noticeable increase patrons after these announcements, so I'm wondering if I make the announcements so longwinded that no one even gets this far into my post. Listen, if you're reading this, why don't you end your response to this thread in two semicolons. You don't got to be a patron or nothing, I just want to know. Plus if a bunch of people do it, it'll probably confuse at least one person, which means it will all have been worth it.

24th Jul 2022, 2:53 AM #2

thank you gator allfather :β€’)

it is now truly the website that is β€œit”;;
24th Jul 2022, 2:55 AM #3
but bob just wants to be friends
Thank you kyo!!!! This is super awesome;;.
24th Jul 2022, 2:56 AM #4

I haven't been able to update my webcomic's details.
It says I didnt select a genre even though I do.
It doesn't give me the option to select more than one at a time.;;
24th Jul 2022, 2:56 AM #5
Rock/Grass
Aight. :) ;;
24th Jul 2022, 2:56 AM #6
Kyo
🐊
RuneArcana:I haven't been able to update my webcomic's details.
It says I didnt select a genre even though I do.
It doesn't give me the option to select more than one at a time.

yes, this was because I had forgotten to update the edit info template, it's already fixed though, so you should be able to do this now!
24th Jul 2022, 2:57 AM #7
*trips and falls down behind you*
Ooooooh shiny! this is cool, thanks for the hard work Kyo! (also you went through the descriptions of hundreds of comics...manually? wow, i am amazed)
24th Jul 2022, 2:58 AM #8

in honor of this achievement i tag you β€œhard-working benevolent webtyrant”;;;
24th Jul 2022, 2:59 AM #9

I noticed as I was updating my comics, some of the tags were put in there already. Demon King had "demon" and "high school" already as tags. Was there like an algorithm or something putting words already in the description in there? Because that was kind of neat.

EDIT: Whoops, I just looked back at the original post. NVM.
24th Jul 2022, 2:59 AM #10
Kyo
🐊
The Accidental Ninja:Ooooooh shiny! this is cool, thanks for the hard work Kyo! (also you went through the descriptions of hundreds of comics...manually? wow, i am amazed)

yeah i spent several days just coming up with keyword -> tag combinations (as well as a list of exceptions, so e.g. it doesn't add the "lions" tag to comics about sea lions), would not recommend
24th Jul 2022, 3:00 AM #11
Morally Ambiguous Dog
thanks dad
24th Jul 2022, 3:00 AM #12
nothing personal, it's just showbiz
Thanks for your continued hard work on the site, Kyo! ;;
24th Jul 2022, 3:01 AM #13
grew up on an island
It's here! /o/

I love how one of my PMD comics got both the "Pokemon" and "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon" tag while the other only got "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon" not "Pokemon", lol

But besides that one funny case they look good! And also knowing the pain of sorting through thousands of records of free-entered data and having to organize it...fantastic job!
24th Jul 2022, 3:02 AM #14
the one doing the crushing
I could weep with gratitude. Thank you for your hard work, Kyo.
24th Jul 2022, 3:02 AM #15

Yay! I was able to update.
This is really rad. Thank you for this feature. ^_^
24th Jul 2022, 3:03 AM #16
didn't want to catch a big fish anyway
I can properly tag my comic as "short stories" now, yus;;
24th Jul 2022, 3:03 AM #17
Regional Manager of the Jungle
oh my god its finally here

what am i supposed to do now

does anybody need help putting a banner in their forum signature?? maybe rearranging comic pages?? hello?? anybody??

lmao THANKS KYO holy shit i'm excited to play around with this!!!!!
24th Jul 2022, 3:03 AM #18
Kyo
🐊
PTGigi:It's here! /o/

I love how one of my PMD comics got both the "Pokemon" and "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon" tag while the other only got "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon" not "Pokemon", lol

But besides that one funny case they look good! And also knowing the pain of sorting through thousands of records of free-entered data and having to organize it...fantastic job!

I didn't mentioned this in the OP, but there's actually also a synonym system as well as subtags, so pokemon mystery dungeon is a child-tag of pokemon, meaning that if you search for the pokemon tag, it'll automatically also display all PMD comics. so the system won't add the pokemon tag if the PMD tag is already there (except I guess in the case where you have the word pokemon in your description somewhere not followed by "mystery dungeon") because it's not necessary
24th Jul 2022, 3:06 AM #19
Regional Manager of the Jungle

THE AUTOMATIC TAGS ARE GOOD
24th Jul 2022, 3:08 AM #20
πŸŽπŸŽπŸŽπŸŽπŸŽπŸŽπŸπŸπŸ…
Is this like a game of tag? Am I it or are you it?;;
Wiki - Notice Board - FAQ - Forum Rules
Forum > News & Announcements > New Feature: Tags! Please update your webcomic info!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10